Author Topic: First Post - Diane Arbus Exhibition  (Read 607 times)

Nick Powell

• 35mm
First Post - Diane Arbus Exhibition
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »
Hello, I am not exactly new here having registered on Christmas Eve 2010 but this is my first post.

I was intending to comment on the David Hurn – Passing Time thread. During the 1980s David was one of my tutors on the Documentary Photography Course run by Newport Art College in South Wales. But I got distracted by Christmas. Since then I have been looking for a suitable reason to post so… 

Last week whilst on a drinking expedition to Amsterdam, I managed to slip away from the group to see the Diane Arbus exhibition at the FOAM Gallery. The exhibition was organized by Jeu de Paume in Paris so may have previously been to other cities

Besides 200+ photographs being exhibited, there were also cameras and a study room. Having just got back into darkroom printing I found the prints on show to be very impressive.

It was also interesting to read in the study room that Diane Arbus’ preferred films were an ADOX film that was discontinued and Agfa IF which was no longer imported into the USA. So  arrangements had to be made with friends to get personal supplies from Germany. So it seems having problems getting the film you want is nothing new.

There first post done and hopefully in the right place

Nick

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
Re: First Post - Diane Arbus Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
Suzi, Britt and I saw this exhibit in Paris last November. I really enjoyed it!

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
Welcome Nick
Don't be to shy.
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »
Yes this was a great exhibition, welcome Nick  8)