Author Topic: Bluescale your kodachrome with caffenol  (Read 2956 times)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
Bluescale your kodachrome with caffenol
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »
was just surfing about a bit when I found this

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/tipster/2014/02/19/lomo-experiments-bluescale-your-old-kodachrome-64-stash

Develope kodachrome with caffenol gives it a bluescale effect...

Anyone who's done this on filmwasters?

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: Bluescale your kodachrome with caffenol
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »
Not yet!
I have a roll loaded and will process in a day or so to try it.
It's something the coffee crowd has been talking about off and on for a while. Looks promising!
I'll post as soon as I have something...
fingers crossed!!!! 8)
Becky

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »
Now I must say that this is one of the funkiest things I've seen in a long time!
I really like it :)

Somehow, it reminds me of the old Polablue instant 35mm...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:12:31 PM »
Now I must say that this is one of the funkiest things I've seen in a long time!
I really like it :)

My thought exactly, I defrosted a roll straight away!

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »
When my brother-in-law gave me his Spotmatic kit, he just handed over the entire bag and anything that was in it. Well, there was a roll of Kodachrome in it. It's my only roll and I figured it was just shelf candy at this point. I have no idea how it was stored, but given the shape of the camera bag, I'm guessing it was not ideal conditions for film.

I still might have to try this, though. If it doesn't work, what have I lost? A roll of film that I figured was already useless anyway. And if it DOES work...well, that would just make my year :)
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
What amazes me is that negatives that went through caffenol are usually slightly brown tone, not glow in the dark yellow!
I don't know what it did to the K-chrome layers but it for sure did something!
Francois

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
looks the biz

... increase in sales prices of kodachrome so  ;)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »

So defrosted a roll of kodachrome 64
Shot it today
Brewed up a nice pot coffee, drank it, then brewed up some more for developing the film
and this was the result....

No to bad, looks a kind of dark yellowy, light brownish, it's drying in my shower as I write, keep you posted on that!

P.S. the recipe asked for potasium bromide (KBr), I used sea salt, as a result some of the rem jet was still on the film. I found this out the hard way when I was sqeegeeing the film between thum and index and as a result i've got two black fingers now... Washed the film some more till most of it washed off. But maybe if you use the KBr in the caffenol the rem jet will let go entirely. If you poor out the caffenol (which is brown-dark brown) you might think the same as me, "this doesn't look that different at all" but then you rinse it and the water comes out black as night! Hello rem jet. Now I've read that rem jet is an anti hallation layer... but what does that exaclty do?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »
As I understand it the anti hallation layer prevents light from reflecting back onto the film after it has passed through it.  This would create a halo effect on the film.  It needs to be removed from reversal film so it can be projected.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »
As I understand it the anti hallation layer prevents light from reflecting back onto the film after it has passed through it.  This would create a halo effect on the film.  It needs to be removed from reversal film so it can be projected.

That explaines it being black... thanks!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »
Actually, all film have an anti halation layer. On Kodachrome, they used a carbon based product on the back of the film. They also do on most motion picture film like Kodak Vision.
On all the regular films, the layer is different and washes out with plain water. When you pre-rinse the film, it's the purple, green or blue stuff that comes out. On C-41, it's brown.

Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
I was once told that Rem Jet is usually unique to cinema cameras. I was told the film flies through the camera so fast that it can spark. The source wasn't exactly a credible one that I would believe 100% but it makes sense. You can even "fog" a film by rewinding it too fast and generating static electricity from the felt in the canister so the theory isn't improbable.

After a little Google here's what Kodak has to say:

Remjet, a removable jet black layer, is the coating of carbon black particles in a water-soluble binder on the bottom of the film. It has four purposes: antihalation, antistatic, lubrication,and scratch protection. Light entering the film can reflect off the front or back surface of the film base and return into the imaging layers to expose them. When light spreads laterally beyond its intended boundary, an image appears to have a halo around it (halation). The antihalation layer prevents this by absorbing light that reaches it. The remjet carbon layer is conductive and prevents the build-up and discharge of static charges that can fog film. This is especially important in conditions of low relative humidity. Remjet also has lubricating properties. Like the super coat on top of the emulsion, remjet resists scratching on the base side and helps transport the film through cameras, scanners, and printers.--Kodak

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »
Actually, all film have an anti halation layer. On Kodachrome, they used a carbon based product on the back of the film. They also do on most motion picture film like Kodak Vision.
On all the regular films, the layer is different and washes out with plain water. When you pre-rinse the film, it's the purple, green or blue stuff that comes out. On C-41, it's brown.

That makes sense since all film is projected one way or another.  That purple stuff caught me by surprise when I first saw it come off my black and white film during the pre-rinse.  My first thought was "oh crap, what did I do wrong".  The last roll I processed still had some purple stain on one of the frames so next time I will rinse until it's gone.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 07:12:31 AM »
Afaik the rem-jet can be removed with a simple solution of 20 g/l washing soda. Never did it myself but read it several times e.g. from the guys using cinema film for still photography. Seems not to be a big deal.....