Author Topic: Brand Spanking new POLAROID 185  (Read 8088 times)

Alan

• Self-Coat
Brand Spanking new POLAROID 185
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »
While snooping around E-Bay this morning looking for
a parts doner for my 250 I happened across this

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-RARE-Polaroid-185-Land-Camera-f-114mm-Mamiya-Sekor-New-Never-Opened-/320845572157?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item4ab3e2e83d

$9000  :o

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Brand Spanking new POLAROID 185
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
Weeell, apparently the camera was given to his grandfather by Dr. Land himself, and of course this is the ¨last unopened original Polaroid 185 Land Camera in the world¨, which I think still doesn´t make the 9.000 $ the Gent is asking for...

C.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:41:59 AM by calbisu »

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
This one has been listed for a while. I remember finding it last year when I was on my Polaroid pack film kick.

Is the story still the same? Found a box behind a wall he was tearing down, his father was a friend of Land, and Land gave him this camera. Yadda yadda yadda.
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
Why would people hide a camera behind a wall?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
maybe the wall was built on front of the box ?

:o

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »
I just read the description. I think he's changed it a little bit. Originally I think it said that Land gave his father the camera, and his father had stored it in a cabinet that a wall had been built in front of or something of the sorts. He only located the camera when doing some remodeling or something if I am not mistaken.

I had it on my eBay watch list for quite a while because of the $10K asking price. Once it started being re-posted due to bidders non-payment I deleted it from my list. It was entertaining for a while.

I also find it interesting that the box is marked as "perishable". How is a camera perishable?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:48:28 PM by ChristopherCoy »
Christopher

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
Yeah this has been on ebay for awhile, through a couple unpaid winning bids, and the price keeps going up, as well was the requirements for the bidder. Last i read, the winner has to fly there and open the box in front of the seller in person. Started at $2k the first time it "sold" and then was up to $10k buy it now. I don't think it is worth that much...and obviously nobody else does either since it's been for sale for eight or so months at least.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
RE: Brand Spanking new POLAROID 185
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
Yep, it's proving to be a problem. I just can't seem to shift it :-)
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
If they take much longer to shift this you won't be able to get the damn film   ;D I guess then, he might as well brick the thing back up!

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »
what would be a realistic value of that 185 be ?

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: RE: Brand Spanking new POLAROID 185
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
Yep, it's proving to be a problem. I just can't seem to shift it :-)
That's because you need to press down the clutch first

(oops, wrong forum  :P )
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
what would be a realistic value of that 185 be ?

one of those things that there are so few of that it's worth what people will pay. though i'd say realistically between $1500 and $3000.
                                                                  - John Waters

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:33 AM »
Yeah but look! it has the 10% off tag!!!

Why would people hide a camera behind a wall?

It's unknown Francois... some people hide cameras, other hide cats...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5200089/400-year-old-mummified-cat-found-in-walls-of-cottage.html

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
I wonder if they're going to put a picture window in the wall so that they can keep an eye on it  :-\

Mummified cats are said to be quite collectible by some people. They can fetch quite a lot of money.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-REAL-MUMMIFIED-CAT-was-sealed-inside-crypt-with-accused-witch-Salem-Or-/170963189287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ce333e27
And this one is not in really great shape.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't live with a dead cat in my house!
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
Man... what a funny place ebay is! and the seller's name is catcrew2 :P

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
well its true to say "there is a buyer for everything"

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
When I see nonsense like this I just want to get a Polaroid 100, gut the front, and put a 105mm f4.5 Kodak Anaston from a Kodak Tourist camera. That lens comes with the Kodak Flash 200 shutter, has front cell focusing to 3 feet, and they are fairly plentiful and cheap. What holds me back is the feeling that Fuji is going to discontinue pack film shortly.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »
You can always gut a Fuji Instax instead. Not peel apart but still quite nice.
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:13 PM »
I think for something like this it is more about collecting than buying a camera you would use regularly. I had a chance to buy one a few years back for about $1000, but I was in nursing school and didn't really have the cash. and I've seen a couple in Japan for about $2300 to $3000. I would pay $1200 if the opportunity occured, but not any more. Because I would have to use it!
                                                                  - John Waters

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »
The older I get, the more I realise that "collectables" are worth as much or as little as someone is prepared to pay or is prepared to accept. This guy's clearly banking on there being someone out there prepared to pay $9,000 for his camera and he doesn't need to sell it for less....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
When I see nonsense like this I just want to get a Polaroid 100, gut the front, and put a 105mm f4.5 Kodak Anaston from a Kodak Tourist camera. That lens comes with the Kodak Flash 200 shutter, has front cell focusing to 3 feet, and they are fairly plentiful and cheap. What holds me back is the feeling that Fuji is going to discontinue pack film shortly.

i was thinking the same!

is there a general feeling that Fuji are or will be moving to discontinue the film . . . ?

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
always rumours about that... apparently 100c is used by the japanese government so maybe won't be stopped... 3000b who knows, but this is all just hearsay.

just gotta keep buying it! will be a very sad day when it does go. 

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 05:28:04 AM »
is there a general feeling that Fuji are or will be moving to discontinue the film . . . ?

It's been splashed here and there for at least the last year that I've known about. But just as sure as one rumor says its going to be discontinued, the next says that it isn't going anywhere due to its prevalence in the fashion industry.

Of course you've got things like the Nikon D800 that was created to battle the digital MF cameras, so as MF digital becomes more and more affordable who knows whats going to happen.

The only thing that is certain is that we need to buy and shoot as much of it as we can while we still have it, in hopes of prolonging any discontinuation!
Christopher

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »
For security and confirmation purposes, the camera must be opened in our presence, once paid for in order to verify to both parties involved that what is offered is being purchased. We will meet the buyer at a location convenient for both parties with officials. Boston is preferred, but we may be able to deliver to a local police station near you (or midway) for a fee, depending on your location. Please email in advance to check if your location is within delivery distance and what fee would be imposed for said delivery. Down Payment (or Payment in Full) must be made via PayPal prior to delivery.

We will be happy to meet you at an agreed upon location in Boston after the sale, to open it in the presence of authorities to verify that it is indeed the Polaroid 185 inside. Unless the buyer would like to pay to fly me out to a city closer to them (preferably Oahu) to meet in the presence of the authorities.....that is their call.

What the hell is all this nonsense about? Can I not just buy the camera and open the box? Can you imagine phoning a Police station in Boston "I know you're a little busy but would you mind watching me opening my camera?" You'd probably get locked up! Could it be he's taking himself just a little too seriously?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »

It's been splashed here and there for at least the last year that I've known about. But just as sure as one rumor says its going to be discontinued, the next says that it isn't going anywhere due to its prevalence in the fashion industry.

Of course you've got things like the Nikon D800 that was created to battle the digital MF cameras, so as MF digital becomes more and more affordable who knows whats going to happen.

The only thing that is certain is that we need to buy and shoot as much of it as we can while we still have it, in hopes of prolonging any discontinuation!

Disparition of fp100b is still fresh...  :'(