Author Topic: Blurb: RGB or CMYK  (Read 5709 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Blurb: RGB or CMYK
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:01:42 AM »
Hi all,

Those of you who've done a Blurb book: Which have you found works best (ie; gets most accurate pictures), RGB or CMYK?  I've heard that both work, but has anyone found that one is better?

And any other tips on image prep? I'm finishing up an 80 pages book and not sure which is the best way to save the pictures & I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Steven.

• Peel Apart
Re: Blurb: RGB or CMYK
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:48:59 AM »
i just got my 76 page book in today. i decided on softcover. i have no clue what you mean by RGB/CMYK (im assuming its colors) but i just pulled the images straight out of lightroom and they turned out just fine (even the low res 2mb scans i used came out more than usable).

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
Isn't this one of those issues where the conventional wisdom would suggest keeping the colour space consistent throughout the process? Therefore, assuming post-processing has been done in RGB (Adobe RGB, sRGB or some other definition?) that would seem to be the one to go with. However....

I suggest having a look at the following link as CMYK and RGB are polar opposites in terms of how colours are created on a page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
When I did mine earlier this year their notes insisted that RGB should be used, and ideally sRGB.  CMYK being only for offset litho printing processes, I think, which they don't use.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:39:54 AM »
I just bought a magazine where they tested several bookmakers (mostly swedish, but blurb came recommended) and they had tested sending images with different colour profiles and in the end recommended sRGB for everything. I would have thought that they would recommend CMYK but with sRGB being such a standard I think every bookmaker should have a good workflow for coping with that profile.

I'd recommend that you see on blurbs own faq if they mention anything.

Sandeha Lynch: that explains a bit, thanks :)
/jonas

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
If you use the proprietary Blurb book software they will always recommend uploading RGB images as their software will convert everything to CMYK for you. Even though Blurb books are printed digitally it's still printed in CMYK, it's the same with inkjet printers.

However if you decide to design your own book using DTP software like InDesign (which is what I did) you have to convert everything CMYK as you are creating the final print ready PDF which they then use to print the book.

This may also help http://www.blurb.com/guides/pdf_to_book/color

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »
I am quite impressed by colour accuracy with Blurb.  I have a calibrated monitor - use RGB as they suggested and also used the blurb ICC profile for proofing.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Ah, that link clarifies, Paul.  My memory was at fault.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
sRGB is pretty much the base standard for everything these days... so I don't think using any other one is worth it. Even I downgraded my hardware to sRGB to make things easier.

While sRGB contains fewer colors than other processes, it still is overall pretty decent. The only time where it has a hard time delivering is when you get those turquoise sea colors...

My cheap printer is sRGB out of the factory. My digicam is sRGB. My local print shop is sRGB... so using any other profile would probably just wreck this perfect streak...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 01:30:43 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help. Blurb is a little confusing the first time around, but definitely worth it. I just got my first copy of my book today, and even though it's not a photography book, it is still exciting to hold your book in your hands for the first time! This one is (mostly) a collection of interviews with EastEnders stars to benefit the BBC's Children In Need telethon.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2561006

My next book will be my photography book. This one was good practice, even though it was more writing than pictures (and none of the pictures are my own, but the writing is).

I got conflicting advice on whether to use CMYK or RGB. I ended up going with RGB and got very accurate results.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
for what its worth im a qualified lithographic printer.

if the book is printed by the litho process it will be printed CMYK so it
wont matter how you submit the artwork because it will be seperated
into CMYK for the printing process anyway.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
This one is (mostly) a collection of interviews with EastEnders stars to benefit the BBC's Children In Need telethon.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2561006

It's hilarious that you would do this (in a good way, or course)! Enders from a West Atlantic perspective for Children in Need! Brilliant. 
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »
This should sort the wife's Christmas present out ;D

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
It's hilarious that you would do this (in a good way, or course)! Enders from a West Atlantic perspective for Children in Need! Brilliant.  

Yes, Brits always find it pretty funny that (some) Americans are watching EastEnders - the most often asked question being, 'Can you understand them?' (The answer being yes - though sometimes I have a hard time understanding Phil Mitchell, but that has nothing to do with his accent.)

But I've been hooked on EastEnders since the very first episode. I've never been this hooked on any American show. I was really lucky that so many of the show's icons took the time to sit down and let me interview them. I hope Brits won't be upset that some pushy American is writing about their most popular show! :) And Children In Need is a great cause, especially now.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
This should sort the wife's Christmas present out ;D

Great! Thanks!

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »

I just got a review from over there on the East Atlantic; an exec on the EastEnders set who received a copy of the book pronounced it 'absolutely brilliant!' Great to hear from someone over there for whom EastEnders is the native cultural language.

And btw, if anyone here is interested in this book (or any other Blurb books), right now Blurb is running a special, 20% off at checkout if you type in the promo code: PPE2011. The offer is good through December 10.