Author Topic: Broken Bronica SQai - not anymore :)  (Read 1874 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Broken Bronica SQai - not anymore :)
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »
About 3 years ago, my SQAi stopped working. Despite having fresh batteries, it was showing no power and the shutter would only fire at at the default 1/125 or whatever it is. After a bit of messing about (technical term) I decided it was an internal electronics problem and definitely not something I would be able to fix myself, so I packed away the body.  I was in the middle of some paid work so I bought a SQa body from ebay to use while I got the other fixed.

the days turned to weeks turned to months etc, and I still hadn't sent it off, and to be honest, was terrified at what it would cost to have mended anyway. I soldiered on with the battered SQa body, but with no Bulb setting, it was very annoying having to use the shutter lock on the lens each time I wanted an exposure longer than 8 seconds (which is most of my shots) - and that brought with it all sorts of sharpness problems, touching the lens to close the shutter blurring the pics sometimes = lots of wasted frames. Also, the light seals around the mirror had started to soften and a few leaks are creeping in, I dont relish the thought of replacing them, very tricky.

So, suddenly, over a cup of coffee this morning, I remembered the SQai.  I wondered if the secret camera fixing pixies had mended it while it was boxed but after I put some fresh batteries in it still woudln't show any charge.  I pressed the batteries against the contacts a bit harder and BINGO - it worked.

I feel such an idiot - after 3 years, all it took to fix was a piece of cardboard to increase the pressure of the compartment door against the battery holder.  It's now working fine.

what a tw@t I am

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:42:01 AM by leon taylor »
L.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Re: Broken Bronica SQai - not anymore :)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
what a tw@t I am

Yup!  ;D

But don't beat yourself up about it - someone else probably would have charged you ?100 to discover the same thing.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: Broken Bronica SQai - not anymore :)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
ha!!!  great story sir,   at least your up and running again.