Author Topic: Travelling with sheet film  (Read 917 times)

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
Travelling with sheet film
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
I've travelled in the past with roll film and had it hand checked but that's easy enough. How do you travel with sheet film? Do you hand them a box and ask them to just look and not open it? Or do you just bite the bullet and let them X-ray it?

Cheers

Moiz

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Travelling with sheet film
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »
Sheet film shouldn't be as big a problem as roll film. With roll film, the main issue is uneven fog caused by the X-ray machine's core and the fact that the film is rolled (so x-rays don't penetrate the emulsion evenly all around).

With sheet film being flat, the fog should be very even making it impossible to notice. But that's just my 2ยข.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

thil

• 35mm PHOTO bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
hi Moiz

I've never had a problem with roll film going through low dose hand luggage x-rays multiple times. As far as I know anything up to 800ASA is fine. Not sure if this is totally true but I seem to remember reading somewhere that push processing films (over 800) that have been exposed to x-rays can show fogging.

The only time I've had problems is in Colombia where at airports they sent all baggage through high x-ray dose luggage scanners. 25 rolls were wasted on that trip.

You may find more technical info here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:56:57 PM by thil »

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
Travelling with sheet film
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
Thanks guys. Guess ill just let it through my hand luggage and keep my fingers crossed.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
If the film boxes lay flat on the conveyer, there shouldn't be any visible problem.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
I'll probably take them out of my bag and put them flat in one of the plastic trays, that'll probably be safest.

Thanks.