Author Topic: Don McCullin at 80  (Read 3500 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Don McCullin at 80
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
If anyone is traipsing about London over the next couple of weeks there is an exhibition of Don McCullin's work at Hamiltons Gallery which is near Mount st and Grosvenor Sq. It's on from today  till the 3rdOctober. I have no doubt it'll be a good way to pass your lunch break.

www.hamiltonsgallery.com

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
Re: Don McCullin at 80
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »
Wish I could see it...
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:25 PM »
I have a trip to London on 30th September so looks like I can squeeze that in before my train home - thanks for the info !

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
I have a trip to London on 30th September so looks like I can squeeze that in before my train home - thanks for the info !

Hi Kevin.

I doubt I'll be able to get there beforehand but I'm also on holiday 30th September - if you fancy meeting up for a beer / nosey at the gallery? No big deal if not......

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
This is one I'm going to try really hard to get to. Thanks for the tip, Paul.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
I'll try to get down too, he's a great guy. I don't know how many heard him on BBC Radio 4 last night talking about his work and also Syria–it was very interesting.
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

John

• JB Photography Galleries
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »
Take a bag full of Prozac - you'll need it.

War photography is pointless. It just perpetuate war and creates the 'oh dear look at that poor person' response.

You'll be better giving the money to a charitable cause to actually help these people. Don McCullin has made enough money already.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »
War photography is pointless. It just perpetuate war and creates the 'oh dear look at that poor person' response.

You'll be better giving the money to a charitable cause to actually help these people. Don McCullin has made enough money already.

I have to disagree. 

War photography and conflict journalism does not prevent or stop wars, directly, I must agree.  But it at least highlights the brutality and futility of wars and the impact on those worst affected; the innocent civilians of all ages who get caught up in the fighting and the soldiers (often conscripts) who are given a gun and told to kill or be killed. These things cannot be ignored.

By the way, what, exactly, is wrong with people having the "oh dear look at that poor person" response? Is it not just a normal human response to feel sympathy or sheer outrage at the atrocities committed in the name of a cause that only politicians or religious leaders want? Should we just say "oh well, never mind, at least it's not happening here"?

As for those who risk and sometimes lose their lives in pursuit of photographic evidence, I'm sure that some have made some money. However, I doubt they've made anything like the sort of money that even fashion photographers make or the money that mediocre sportsmen make for running round a track or kicking a football. 

I don't begrudge Don McCullin a penny - and I don't think Larry Burrows, Robert Capa or Tim Hetherington (to name but a very few) would, either.

John

• JB Photography Galleries
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »

I have to disagree. 

War photography and conflict journalism does not prevent or stop wars, directly, I must agree.  But it at least highlights the brutality and futility of wars and the impact on those worst affected; the innocent civilians of all ages who get caught up in the fighting and the soldiers (often conscripts) who are given a gun and told to kill or be killed. These things cannot be ignored.

By the way, what, exactly, is wrong with people having the "oh dear look at that poor person" response? Is it not just a normal human response to feel sympathy or sheer outrage at the atrocities committed in the name of a cause that only politicians or religious leaders want? Should we just say "oh well, never mind, at least it's not happening here"?

As for those who risk and sometimes lose their lives in pursuit of photographic evidence, I'm sure that some have made some money. However, I doubt they've made anything like the sort of money that even fashion photographers make or the money that mediocre sportsmen make for running round a track or kicking a football. 

I don't begrudge Don McCullin a penny - and I don't think Larry Burrows, Robert Capa or Tim Hetherington (to name but a very few) would, either.

I accept what you say. It does have to be recorded in some way. It's the building up of the 'famous and heroic' photographers I don't like.

I get very emotional about war, period. My brother served in the first Gulf war, saw terrible things which never make the newspapers, as it's deemed too shocking. He was then put in military prison for his sexuality, which was then illegal. I just think, where was his fame and fortune?

The tile of the exhibition is wrong - it's about McCullin and not the poor conscripts and innocent victims. The soldiers all bear a mark, and not all soldiers want to fight. A lot join up to get a job in these difficult times. I'm shocked that people are actually interested and exited in his interpretation of the terrible events in Syria. What? Have I missed something here? That's what I mean by the 'oh dear' response. By somehow looking at the pictures that's enough.

It's not my type of photography and the really terrible stuff is rarely seen. I know a RM who served in Aden in the 60's. The UK forces did terrible things to the locals, but reporters of all media turned a blind eye.

War photographers don't want to upset the side they are photographing, because they'll get sent packing. Nowadays it's tightly controlled. They can also helicopter out whenever they want. Unlike the soldiers and victims who have to live through it everyday.

I respect your opinion, but I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:10:15 PM by John »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »
One of the worst offenders as far as selective reporting is concerned, was Thatcher.

In the days when Don McCullin was working for The Observer, he photographed what was in front of him. During the war in Cyprus, he photographed from both Greek Cypriot and Turkish viewpoints.  When in Africa, covering civil wars, he also presented as unbiased view as possible.

When he went to work for The Sunday Times (a right-wing broadsheet, bought by Rupert Murdoch in 1981) things changed.  Murdoch was a staunch supporter of Thatcher.  The editorial regime would not allow Don McCullin to cover the Falklands conflict in 1982 as he would, most likely, photograph something that would embarrass Thatcher and put Murdoch in her bad books. That wasn't going to be allowed to happen.

I don't think there can ever be truly unbiased reporting or photography as a lot of the editing is done when the shutter button is fired. That said, Don McCullin didn't sensationalise and he is no voyeuristic ghoul.   

I know (and respect the fact) that you don't "get" war photography but McCullin is a genuinely unusual case - or maybe it's just the fact that he worked in times when front-line reporting was much more accessible than even WW2 or the Vietnam war.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
Some interesting discussion here, chaps.. Anyway, one has to make some sort of discernment between images of brutality shown nowadays everywhere from newspapers to main evening news and all over internet - and the time few decades ago with no internet and no "immediate media coverage" that we are used to nowadays - time when people like McCullin went to great risks to actually show others what is happening.

Personally I don't think the sort of work McCullin has done then is possible today - ok, possible, maybe, but fruitful? I doubt it.
Besides watching the documentary about him I've also read McCullin autobiography - I think his time was the time before the "organized package tours" for photographers / camera crews into the conflict zone - as it is usual today, where objectivity would seem impossible - in fact that was maybe part of the reason why he had stopped doing "his thing"...
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
Some interesting discussion here, chaps.. Anyway, one has to make some sort of discernment between images of brutality shown nowadays everywhere from newspapers to main evening news and all over internet - and the time few decades ago with no internet and no "immediate media coverage" that we are used to nowadays - time when people like McCullin went to great risks to actually show others what is happening.

Personally I don't think the sort of work McCullin has done then is possible today - ok, possible, maybe, but fruitful? I doubt it.
Besides watching the documentary about him I've also read McCullin autobiography - I think his time was the time before the "organized package tours" for photographers / camera crews into the conflict zone - as it is usual today, where objectivity would seem impossible - in fact that was maybe part of the reason why he had stopped doing "his thing"...

The other thing to remember, Andrej, is that photojournalists are regarded as legitimate targets these days.  Sure, many were killed in times gone by but that was usually as a result of wrong place / wrong time combinations.  These days, certain "armies" don't want anyone (independent) photographing the evidence.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 06:15:45 PM »
Don wanted to go to the Falklands War but the government were so worried about what he would come back with he was refused, he is on of my favourite photographers I have got a great book called "In England" not one war photo but I have got all his others

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
For the exhibition visit, I would draw your attention to the Night shooting thread.