Author Topic: Deitz Premium 28-80mm re-lubing  (Read 180 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Deitz Premium 28-80mm re-lubing
« on: April 04, 2024, 08:03:09 PM »
Hi!
In the big haul of lenses I bought the other day, I got a Deitz Premium 28-80mm zoom that I need to re-lubricate as moving zoom/focus ring feels like it was lubricated with molasses.

I believe the lens was manufactured by Makinon, but the info on the brand are quite sparse making me all the more curious about how good it is.

I'm guessing there will be screws under the rubber grip (how the heck do I remove it?)

Any help is quite welcome as I'm a bit outside my comfort zone with this one. I've never completely and successfully managed to fix a zoom lens.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Deitz Premium 28-80mm re-lubing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 10:57:23 AM »
I would test it first to see how good it is and decide if it's worth the effort. Probably nothing special.

Otherwise, remove the mount which should get you part way in and might reveal more screws. Also remove the dress ring, there's almost always some screws under there. The grip, if it's rubber, should come off but you may need to get something under one edge to start it. Might be glued too. Whether you'll find anything underneath I don't know. It's not always the case.

I see you didn't get much response on Photrio. You could try asking on MFLenses.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 02:37:09 PM »
Im probably going to have to do that.
While the lens was cheap and possibly quite ordinary, I really want to fix it for quite a few reasons. First is that it's going to give me experience in dismantling a zoom and hopefully putting it back together properly. If I mess things up, it's not a big loss. The lens looks really nice.and I really want to make my Minolta kit more complete....

So anyways. Thanks for the tips.
I for sure am going to take a lot of photos along the way so I can put the darn thing back together.

Do you have tricks other than patience and swearing to realign the helixes?
I think there might be more than one in there that need to be properly keyed. Last time I took apart a 50mm Nikkor it took me a good 30 minutes to get them right....
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 03:06:34 PM »
I find a light touch works best. Never force them. If they're aligned they will go in easy. And don't forget to mark them as they separate so you know how to align them in relation to each other when you reassemble them.

I generally avoid working on zooms... Read that however you like.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 09:31:18 PM »
I don't blame you, these things can be a pain.
I did communicate on Photrio with Andreas Thaler who had dismantled the same lens, only under the Soligor branding.
From what I can see, mine is the same as the Soligor C/D 28-80mm f/3.8-4.8.
From the outside, both are the same, same IR marking, same screw hole position. Only the mount and the rubber ring is different.
I printed the page (it's a pretty lengthy process) and I'm going to study it to see where I could simplify... I might not need to take everything apart like he did.
Francois