Author Topic: St. Patrick's Weekend March 15th - 17th 2024  (Read 478 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
St. Patrick's Weekend March 15th - 17th 2024
« on: March 15, 2024, 07:46:31 PM »
This week I've tested a Braun Paxette B39 lens on an LTM camera with a 14,4mm extension ring. It works very well, but there is no rangefinder coupling which means you have to set the distance manually. This time I developed the Seagull 400 in Rodinal which certainly did not reduce grain, but increased sharpness. I will try to expose it at 200 ISO next time.

FED Zarya / Staeble Choro 3.5/38 / Seagull 400 in Rodinal
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: St. Patrick's Weekend March 15th - 17th 2024
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 09:45:02 PM »
Well, the grain doesn't look that bad on the screen.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 11:18:10 PM »
My first time shooting large format color.  The film is Kodak Professional Pelicula 100 PRN 4329, expired 5/1997.  This film has been sitting in my refrigerator for about a decade.  I sent it to the Darkroom for development.  Shot with my Crown Graphic using a Graflex Optar f/4.7 135mm. 

This first game is from 1936, it belonged to my father in law when he was a child.
Nuggets by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Influence by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 06:04:31 PM »
Wood carving. From the same clump of trees as last week. I think this has been made a place of significance for some folk.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 09:30:46 PM »
Yay, the weekend!
Kai San, I agree, the grain is not that bad. I like the vintage look of it.
Bryan- yay for large format color.
Harvey- Carving Tree, I wonder what the tree thinks of that? It's good to see you back again too!

Mine's a shot with that crazy can't go to infinity camera I keep larking about with.
Arista 100 in caffenol. I shot it accidentally at ISO 60, but it turned out okay.
I like the camera, so it will stay around for awhile.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 04:36:42 AM »
It's been an eventful week. Lots of testing. I'm about tested out. Need to get back to doing some serious printmaking.

Pentax PET by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Finally got my Pentax Auto 110 film back. The good news is the camera is fully functional. Most frames well exposed. Meter does seem particularly sensitive to backlight though. The local shop cannot scan 110 so I had to rig up something at home. No doubt the results could be sharper with a little experimenting. Film was Walgreen's 110 that expired in 2010 (last batch before Walgreen's discontinued their store branded film in 2008).

Concrete Jungle by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Shot a roll of ORWO UN54 through my Exa, and got a few frames that are worthy of returning to and printing big later on.

Untitled by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Shot a roll through my "new" knob-set shutter Pilot 6. Honestly surprised by how "modern" the results are from the lens. My other Pilot 6 cameras have pretty noticeable "vintage" effects, swirly boke' and vignetting, etc. This one, at least in black and white, gives a very clean rendering.

ducks by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Continuing through my backlog of undeveloped film. This one was shot c. 2012. Fuji Neopan SS, probably my 2nd favorite film after Plus-X. I still have a brick in the freezer.

leanne

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 04:11:57 PM »
Great work everyone. You're all inspiring me to get my life together and start shooting film again. While that starts to happen, here are some oldies - Various of Rollei SL66 and my trusty Broni SQA

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 04:23:54 PM »
Flippy, NeoPan SS is great stuff and I also have a few stashed rolls in the freezer.
I don't know why they take the good stuff away.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 08:32:32 PM »
Greed... that's the only real reason. If the product doesn't keep growing sales, it's not worth keeping even if it's a milk cow.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 12:04:33 PM »
Hi everyone, I got my Minolta SLR test roll back from the lab and I'm very happy with the results despite them being shot on a very grey and uninspiring day. I'm planning on using it for the foreseeable future. I may even shell out for that tasty looking 24mm lens, but so far all the ones I've seen for sale have been pretty pricey. These photos were shot on a film called Kodak Color 200 that found in a drawer and don't recall ever using previously. Now that I know the camera works really well (and as the sunnier days grow more frequent), I will break into my stash of Agfa Ultra. In the meantime I found some Fuifilm 1600ASA, so loaded that and took it to a gig last week.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 12:11:32 PM »
Yay, the weekend!
Mine's a shot with that crazy can't go to infinity camera I keep larking about with.
Arista 100 in caffenol. I shot it accidentally at ISO 60, but it turned out okay.
I like the camera, so it will stay around for awhile.

Gateway to the clouds  ;D ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 12:15:17 PM »
It's been an eventful week. Lots of testing. I'm about tested out. Need to get back to doing some serious printmaking.

Finally got my Pentax Auto 110 film back. The good news is the camera is fully functional. Most frames well exposed. Meter does seem particularly sensitive to backlight though. The local shop cannot scan 110 so I had to rig up something at home. No doubt the results could be sharper with a little experimenting. Film was Walgreen's 110 that expired in 2010 (last batch before Walgreen's discontinued their store branded film in 2008).

Despite me ragging on 110 format film last week at some point, I have to say that I'm a sucker for a cool photo of an old cimputer and in this instance the format definitely hasn't hurt the final image. What a great pairing!

Continuing through my backlog of undeveloped film. This one was shot c. 2012. Fuji Neopan SS, probably my 2nd favorite film after Plus-X. I still have a brick in the freezer.

This image really appeals to me. There's just enough crunch and grit in it for me. I feel like I could almost bite into it.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 12:18:02 PM »
My first time shooting large format color.  The film is Kodak Professional Pelicula 100 PRN 4329, expired 5/1997.  This film has been sitting in my refrigerator for about a decade.  I sent it to the Darkroom for development.  Shot with my Crown Graphic using a Graflex Optar f/4.7 135mm. 

These colours are REALLY unusual. Is that a characteristic of the film, or the lighting...or the fact that the film is so old? Well, OK, I do appreciate that it's a combo of all of them, but I've not heard of that film before so wondered. Also, I love LF and have a few packs of 5x4 Polaroid film that I'm going to waste this summer. I should have shot it 10 years ago, so am expecting very uneven results...but who knows.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 02:22:09 PM »
Hi everyone, I got my Minolta SLR test roll back from the lab and I'm very happy with the results despite them being shot on a very grey and uninspiring day. I'm planning on using it for the foreseeable future. I may even shell out for that tasty looking 24mm lens, but so far all the ones I've seen for sale have been pretty pricey. These photos were shot on a film called Kodak Color 200 that found in a drawer and don't recall ever using previously. Now that I know the camera works really well (and as the sunnier days grow more frequent), I will break into my stash of Agfa Ultra.
I'm really happy to see that the camera works and that you like it 😊
If you are looking for something cheap but a bit less wide (28mm), Kaleb at Bad Flashes did a video on an Albinar ADG lens that cost 20$+shipping. You might like the results (https://youtu.be/sSKc-I7oYGo?si=oV--FVIFICS3cmFC)

BTW, I just so wish I still had some Ultra 100... but I guess I'll be on Kodak Gold for the foreseeable future 🙄
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 03:49:11 PM »
If you are looking for something cheap but a bit less wide (28mm), Kaleb at Bad Flashes did a video on an Albinar ADG lens that cost 20$+shipping. You might like the results (https://youtu.be/sSKc-I7oYGo?si=oV--FVIFICS3cmFC)

BTW, I just so wish I still had some Ultra 100... but I guess I'll be on Kodak Gold for the foreseeable future 🙄

Another classic YouTube video that could have been condensed into a very useful 2 minutes, but instead hugely overstayed its welcome. HOWEVER, the lens does look really interesting, so thanks very much for the tip, Francois  :) Unfortunately, since the Albinar lenses were only sold by a US department store that didn't exist over here, there aren't any of the lenses readily available across this side of The Pond. I'll read around the subject and see what I can come up with though and I'm not after anything that's particularly hi-fi. I'm not a huge fan of using tons of different lenses. I have about 6 for my KM Pentaxes, but only ever use 2 (a fast 50mm and a really grungy 28mm that distorts noticeably at the edges). I did buy a cool pancake KM for travelling extra light, but I can't find it now so that might be something I'd look out for on the Minolta...although I survived 10 years without it on my Pentaxes....so possibly not.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2024, 08:14:00 PM »
I know that I've been keeping a eye out on that auction site to see if one where the seller would accept to ship it over the border does pop-up.

I must admit that Kaleb does get a bit on my nerves and that his content is... well... not the most informative, but this lens did get my attention as it reminds me a lot of an Auto-Image 35-210 I have that's surprisingly interesting...
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2024, 01:23:36 AM »
Flippy, NeoPan SS is great stuff and I also have a few stashed rolls in the freezer.

It was a very hard time back then... When kodak axed Plus-X I switched to Neopan SS, only to have that axed too in (I think?) less than a year. I'm impressed that even with such an old latent image, it developed and printed so well. I kind of want to take the remaining film on a trip to Japan and just burn through the whole brick in something suitable like a Miranda or Nikon F.

This image really appeals to me. There's just enough crunch and grit in it for me. I feel like I could almost bite into it.

It's one I need to come back to and print large, so far have been burning through 5x7 paper to get back up to speed on darkroom technique. Neopan SS was interesting in that it has perceptible, but gentle grain. It really does look "old fashioned" in my opinion.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2024, 05:16:42 PM »

These colours are REALLY unusual. Is that a characteristic of the film, or the lighting...or the fact that the film is so old? Well, OK, I do appreciate that it's a combo of all of them, but I've not heard of that film before so wondered. Also, I love LF and have a few packs of 5x4 Polaroid film that I'm going to waste this summer. I should have shot it 10 years ago, so am expecting very uneven results...but who knows.
Probably a combination of all of them plus the bright game colors.  I’ve never used this type of film before so it’s new to me. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2024, 05:54:32 PM »

Probably a combination of all of them plus the bright game colors.  I’ve never used this type of film before so it’s new to me.

Is it C41 or ECN film? From the little I've seen, the Kodak movie stocks often come out with a blue tinge when processed in C41. I've shot a bunch of 5219, and it's also sensitive to EV ... underexposed it's blueish and overexposed is more true (again, developed in C41).

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 07:09:12 AM »

Is it C41 or ECN film? From the little I've seen, the Kodak movie stocks often come out with a blue tinge when processed in C41. I've shot a bunch of 5219, and it's also sensitive to EV ... underexposed it's blueish and overexposed is more true (again, developed in C41).
It’s C-41 film.  The colors also could have had something to do with the light temperature the more I think about it.  The LED light I used has an adjustable light temperature, I didn’t pay attention to that when I took these shots.  With the weather getting better I’ll have to see how it looks in sunlight.