Author Topic: Lucky Film back from the grave?  (Read 172 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Lucky Film back from the grave?
« on: February 17, 2024, 08:32:11 AM »
Interesting developments over the past year it seems.

Reflex Lab started selling a 100ASA black and white film that they claim uses the Lucky formula:
https://reflxlab.com/products/shd-100-black-and-white-negative-film-36exp

This (un-Lucky?) SHD 100 film has apparently already shown up in some brick and mortar stores.

Additionally a recent post on reddit showed what purports to be a brand new box of Lucky SHD 400, which the poster claims was was sent to them for review purposes...

However, from the little information I could find about it online, the new SHD 100 film is different from the old Lucky film (it doesn't seem to be coated onto a tissue paper thin base for one thing). Which makes me wonder if this is actually a revival of the old film, or if it is simply another exercise in rebranding. I have none of the new stuff to look at, but would be interested in finding out where it's actually coming from.

10-15 years ago I shot many bricks of Lucky 100 ASA film because it was extremely cheap, I don't remember exactly when it disappeared (I seem to remember it barely surviving past the demise of Kodak Plus-X) but I did miss it. I wonder a bit where it would fit in now, as the price of the current SHD 100 is comparable to Fomapan and Kentmere, meaning the price advantage it once held no longer exists. If it's a better film than it was back then, it may be worth it, but then the question becomes if it is better than Foma and Kentmere films.