Author Topic: Weekend - January 19 - 21, 2024  (Read 419 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Weekend - January 19 - 21, 2024
« on: January 19, 2024, 05:33:23 PM »
The weather here has been great for doing a still life indoors.  Crown Graphic 34, Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7 lens, Shanghai GP3 100 developed in Rodinal 1:50.

Laboratory Glassware by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: Weekend - January 19 - 21, 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 11:50:18 PM »
the ruins by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Testing out some 6x9 negs on the Federal enlarger last night. Nothing special, might make a more concerted effort tonight to print something well.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 12:50:49 PM »
Another adventure. Bought some Adox Lupex, which means I can finally try the Kodak Metal Printer I bought like five or six years ago.

Try Try Again by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 04:19:53 PM »
Another adventure. Bought some Adox Lupex, which means I can finally try the Kodak Metal Printer I bought like five or six years ago.

Is that one of those metal contact printers? 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 05:44:02 PM »
Two colour landscape from November.

Contax 645 / Zeiss Distagon 3.5/55 / Fuji Pro 160NS
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 08:00:33 PM »
Another new-to-me but quite old camera was tried out today; a No 1A Pocket Kodak Autographic, dating from 1926-32. I loaded it with FP4+ and took it to the Castle Keep in Newcastle.

Windows everywhere
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 09:45:24 PM »

Yes. I thought it would be fun to try out, not knowing when I bought it that Foma had discontinued Fomalux paper about one month earlier.  :'( Then I forgot I had it while in the meantime Adox came out with Lupex paper. In the end, it's probably more fiddly to use than a regular contact printing frame, except maybe if you needed to make many prints from a single negative. I experimented with all the different ways the mask and negative could be oriented in the printer, found out the lighting/exposure was uneven (note the sky in several of the prints), ended up applying paint to the side of the bulb facing the paper (the instruction book actually suggests doing this in the situation!) which ended up giving a much more even exposure.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 11:20:32 PM »
I experimented with all the different ways the mask and negative could be oriented in the printer, found out the lighting/exposure was uneven (note the sky in several of the prints), ended up applying paint to the side of the bulb facing the paper (the instruction book actually suggests doing this in the situation!) which ended up giving a much more even exposure.
If I remember, these things use a round indicator bulb as the light source...
I've seen one before (gray box with a lid and crumbling foam on the lid that holds the paper down), though I can't remember if it was Kodak, Agfa/Ansco or GAF...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 11:26:23 PM »
I ended up putting a 5 watt nightlight bulb in it. I don't recall if it came with bulb when I got it. The instructions suggests a 10 watt bulb.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 01:01:15 AM »

Yes. I thought it would be fun to try out, not knowing when I bought it that Foma had discontinued Fomalux paper about one month earlier.  :'( Then I forgot I had it while in the meantime Adox came out with Lupex paper. In the end, it's probably more fiddly to use than a regular contact printing frame, except maybe if you needed to make many prints from a single negative. I experimented with all the different ways the mask and negative could be oriented in the printer, found out the lighting/exposure was uneven (note the sky in several of the prints), ended up applying paint to the side of the bulb facing the paper (the instruction book actually suggests doing this in the situation!) which ended up giving a much more even exposure.

I had one of those, the bulb and the mask both gave me problems.  I got rid of it and just use the old wood ones.  The light source I use was made for a microscope and has an iris so I can control the light better.  I set the light source several feet from the printer and stop it down. 

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 10:50:16 AM »
I love he variety of subjects on the thread this weekend kudos to all.
I had to go looking for what the Kodak Metal Printer looked like and was sio intrigued. Were they a common item, in a darkroom?
A couple more workmate portraits the same as last week on Delta 400

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 04:21:00 PM »
I had to go looking for what the Kodak Metal Printer looked like and was sio intrigued. Were they a common item, in a darkroom?
They were pretty common as they were cheaper than an enlarger. And since the negatives were pretty big in those days, they produced some quite decent prints.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.