Author Topic: in orbit  (Read 672 times)

johann

• flickr
in orbit
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:07 AM »
or 'concerning the paterson orbital developing tank'.

I bought one, after seeing it on tv (it makes an apparition in the latest vodcast), and reading it being references on the forum a couple of times.
I was wondering if you had any advice on the use of that device.

As I plan to use it for developing sheet film, i will have to make some bumps to keep the film from sticking to the bottom. I hear epoxy is a good way to go. Is it ?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: in orbit
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »
I used epoxy on mine, and wish I hadn't now.  It does sometimes give me lines on the negatives.  Someone told me they had used a dremmel type tool to make shallow grooves in the bottom and that this gets the liquid underneath the negs without causing marks.  you'd need to make sure it is nice and smooth so as not to scratch the film though. I am going to do this myself (and try to remove the epoxy) when I get some time.

L.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Re: in orbit
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »
I deeply scored the base of mine with a Stanley knife then finished it off with sandpaper to remove any sharp edges... works a treat!

There's lots on the interweb regarding developing technique and what volumes to use etc. it varies so much that it's best to pick out what seems right to you and the rest is trial and error.|

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.