Author Topic: enlarger question  (Read 2012 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
enlarger question
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »
so i'm looking into maybe getting an enlarger and getting some primitive form of a darkroom in order. i thought i'd just need one enlarger, but i keep hearing about people that have a medium format and a 35mm enlarger. is it neccesary to have two? can you switch the lenses to use a single enlarger?

william

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: enlarger question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
it is absolutely not necessary to have two, but it depends on what size negs you;re wanting to print as to what enlarger you get.  they all have a maximum size, but most should cover sizes smaller than that.

Different lenses cover different neg sizes - the convention being 35mm is around 50mm lens, 6x6 is around 80mm lens, 6x7-6x9 105mm lens and 5x4 is a 150mm lens.  When I only printed 6x6 and 35mm an 80mm did fine for both, although of course I could have got larger prints from my 35mm negs with a 50mm lens.

One thing to consider is if you're wanting a diffusion or a condensor enlarger.  Some of the condenser types need supplementary condenser lenses or different lens boards to enable 35mm to be used - best check it out before you buy to make sure all that you need is present - particularly if you're buying used.

One other thing - it's best to get one that allows you to adjust the negative plane and lens plane levels to ensure they are aligned.

I dont think you  can go wrong with the Meopta range as a first enlarger.  they're easily adjustable and easy to use, and come in both diffuse and condensing light types.  I used a Meopta Opemus before I got my devere and it was perfect  for 35mm and 6x6.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:58:51 PM by leon taylor »
L.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
thanks for that very informative answer leon. i'm not sure how much choice i'm going to have as my feeling is that the selection is going to be much smaller than it would be in the west or japan. once i figure out the chinese for it i can do a proper search for them.

william

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
I think most people end up with 2 enlargers because they first buy a 35mm model and then move to a larger format. They buy a second one but keep the first for the convenience of not switching lenses...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
That doesn't sound very fun having two enlargers taking up space. I have a medium format enlarger and just swop the lenses around (50mm and 80mm? can't remember now). It's not that hard to do unless you get a lens stuck (arugh, never ever get the lens stuck, it's a nightmare to unstick)
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:25:57 PM »
heh.
It's a cool cool luxury having two enlargers. For printing two negs on the one paper, so convenient for pre-flashing the paper, or to have the choice of condenser or diffuser, or simply to have one dedicated to each film format you use.

Geez I'm a darkroom tosser  :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »
so convenient for pre-flashing the paper,
I used to simply take a piece of perspex (translucent white plastic like used under fluorescent lights... polyester film or vellum would work just as good) and put it under the lens with the negative in place. Works just as good and makes the flashing exposure a bit longer.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
or get one of these (which I did of course) - http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/paperflasher.html

marvellous gadget
L.