Author Topic: My virgin redscale attempt  (Read 3227 times)

ndroo

• FuzzyEyeballs
My virgin redscale attempt
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:08 PM »
My first try not long ago ...

ndroo

• FuzzyEyeballs
Re: My virgin redscale attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »
I've always wanted to give this stuff a try. Looks like it would be one of those things where you'd really have to get the feel of it to find what works and what doesn't before it became really comfortable. There's quite a few of the above though that I'd say work quite well (#1, 3, 10, and 12 in particular).

Any reason they all seem to be mirrored? Is that intentional or did you just forget to flip em after scanning?

-Jason

ndroo

• FuzzyEyeballs
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »
I've always wanted to give this stuff a try. Looks like it would be one of those things where you'd really have to get the feel of it to find what works and what doesn't before it became really comfortable. There's quite a few of the above though that I'd say work quite well (#1, 3, 10, and 12 in particular).

Any reason they all seem to be mirrored? Is that intentional or did you just forget to flip em after scanning?

-Jason

Thank you, Jason. Yeah, it takes a little bit of getting used to. Gotta try again soon.

As for the mirrored images, I deliberately left them that way, since we're exposing the back of the film when doing redscale  ;D

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »
nice first attempt. what film were you shooting? i've found that kodak gold redscales, well, gold. where one of the fuji films turns a real blood red. i'm not sure why you chose to scan them backwards. i mean the film may be loaded upside down, but that doesn't mean the images should be seen that way. but to each their own...:)

william

ndroo

• FuzzyEyeballs
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »
nice first attempt. what film were you shooting? i've found that kodak gold redscales, well, gold. where one of the fuji films turns a real blood red. i'm not sure why you chose to scan them backwards. i mean the film may be loaded upside down, but that doesn't mean the images should be seen that way. but to each their own...:)

william

Thanks. I was using a roll of Samsumg Prime Color 200 film. As for the mirror image ...  ;D Gotta try Fuji film next time ... I love red!  8)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
i think it was fuji superia that gave me the deep reds. may want to try that next time. :)

william

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »
I've never heard of redscale before, where have I been  ;)

Love the atmosphere it adds

Janet

ndroo

• FuzzyEyeballs
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:23:18 AM »
Thanks

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »
My first attempt at this happened totally by accident - I was trying to tape strips of 35mm film into an old Agfa Clack, and in the confusion in the darkness got it the wrong way round, the film also shifted over and I forgot to tape the red window!

The film type/speed does seem to make a big difference.  This was konica 100, some 400 I tried wasn't as pleasing, not very sensitive and virtually monochrome red/black. 

ndroo

• FuzzyEyeballs
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »
Al, that's beautiful! How on earth did you get the 1 shot into 2 film strips?

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 11:38:03 AM »
Al, that's beautiful! How on earth did you get the 1 shot into 2 film strips?

I cut two strips of film and taped them to the film plane of the clack (6x9 frame size) so they overlapped a bit in the middle.   Not exactly the most practical set up!!  Then unloaded and processed the strips at home with a DIY C41 kit

otto k

• ottok photography
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 07:21:08 PM »
Very nice.  This is something that I've been meaning to try -- yet something else on my long list of to-do's. :)