Author Topic: Practical Application for "EV"?  (Read 1172 times)

6cmsquare

Practical Application for "EV"?
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:33:46 AM »
Ok, so I in the midst of reading Ansel Adams' "The Negative" and the Zone System immediately makes sense to me, -matter of fact I walked around all day looking at things and visualizing them as "zone V + 2 stops" or "totally zone II"  however, -regarding the EV#, I'm struggling to think of a situation where knowing the EV# of an exposure would help, being that an EV# can be equal to any number of f.stop and shutter time combinations.   

Can someone enlighten me on a situation where calculating the EV is applicable?
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Practical Application for "EV"?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »
I have two cameras that have counterrotating shutter and aperture controls on the lens barrel, and are marked with EV. What I like about it is that I can use sunny/16 or meter, adjust to the matching EV, and then make a shutter speed or aperture selection but rotate both rings simultaneously and maintain the same exposure.

If you use one of Francois' infamous paper exposure meters (such as http://expomat.tripod.com/), they're always marked with EV, which makes "cheating" with an EV-marked camera easy as well.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
To be honest, I never really got the value of only using EV in my metering...
I know it can make things supposedly more easy but I just don't get it...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
I use it to count steps from sunny-16 (or sunny-11, or whatever I'm using at the moment), assuming EV15 as the starting point. Quick and dirty, but it works pretty well for me.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
If you plan to ever shoot with a vintage Polaroid camera...youll love EV. In fact, most of the models exclusively have EV settings and nothing else.

The Polaroid #625 exposure meter for these cameras is also an EV only device, makes using them with a Polaroid camera a perfect match.

Even the high end 110A/B models with their Prontor manual shutters have EV marks on it for quick, no thinking, exposure setting.

Helping to keep Instant Photography alive, one camera, one user, one shot at a time.