Author Topic: Large format photography on the cheap -Quarter plate film in a Polaroid Land 320  (Read 1580 times)

Abdul Hye

I bought some quarter plate film off ebay. I did not know it was quarter plate film, FP4, at the time. I know from the dimensions it was smaller than 5X4. I bided once and won with the only bid.

I intended to use them with my pinhole camera. I planned to tape them inside the 5x4 film holders. For various reasons this did not work too well. I thought the film might be small enough to fit inside the empty Fuji peel-apart film canisters. They were so I placed the film inside the canisters in a changing bag and spent today trying it out. I was surprised it worked. I used a Paterson tank and to taco method to process the sheet. I used a digital camera to scan the image. It’s not a good scan but I just want to show people to results to prove the technique works.

I will take a few more shots at 3000 and use stand development and be a little careful developing it next time.

Quarter plate film in Polaroid Land 320 by Tea, two sugars, on Flickr

Quarter plate film in Polaroid Land 320 by Tea, two sugars, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:09:42 PM by Abdul Hye »

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
These are great results! Considering you "scanned" the negs with your camera they look really good to me.
Any chance to post a picture of the camera?  ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

ludoo

• 35mm
Great results! I guess you can only shoot a single sheet at a time without resorting to the changing bag, right?

It would be great to find a way to insert a diy darkslide in the film pack, so that one can carry a few packs, each with a single sheet, and change them without worrying about the light.

Abdul Hye

I bought this camera. Worked first time, battery and all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220975970209?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I didn’t need to modify anything.

I can only shoot one shot at a time. It’s easy to fit the film in the canister. Getting the sheet out of the box takes longer then getting in into a canister. The changing bag a little small so there isn’t much room in there with the camera in there as well.

I have a few empty canisters from when I bought a land camera from the FPP guys. I ended up selling it on. I will load up a few and keep them in a black plastic bag, that paper comes in, and keep that in the changing bag so I can reload faster.

I have about 75 sheets left. I have seen a place that sells quarter plate film but probably stop when the stock I have runs out.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
this is just how I shoot in my polaroid 80 Land camera..your explanation is much neater than mine!! :)