Author Topic: new pt/pd printing paper...  (Read 2879 times)

aboot

• hitting the ground
    • aaron boot photography
new pt/pd printing paper...
« on: February 02, 2007, 10:35:24 PM »
not to long ago i got an email from a john zokowski telling me he would send me some free paper samples for platinum/palladium printing.  it is supposedly very easy to clear and a wonderful range of tones and Dmax.  i just got them today and i'm going to try and make some prints with them in the next few weeks when i find time with my schedule.  the paper wasn't discovered until 2006 and apparently it went undetected for 50+ years as a medium for pt/pd paper because it was being used specifically as a stand-alone product for the production of US military honorable discharge certificates! :o  far out.

you can read more about the pt/pd paper here...

http://www.butlerdearden.com/Weston.aspx

if you want john's email it is at the bottom of the page and you can get some samples yourself to try it out. :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:43:31 PM by aboot »

Ron

• Alt Photos
Re: new pt/pd printing paper...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:14:30 AM »
Thanks, man.  I am on it!  I have to confess though, at first I thought you were talking about a PRE-coated PT paper.  I wish someone would come back on the market with such a product. 

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:07:46 AM »
I wonder if he'll send free samples to the UK...

Please let us know how you get on with it - I'd be interested to see if it had any significant advantages over a dedicated pt/pd paper like Platine.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:09:25 AM »
Oh, and pre-coated pt paper Ron? What, and lose all that hairdryin' fun and the joy of invariably losing a brush bristle in a sky area - tut and pshaw!

aboot

• hitting the ground
    • aaron boot photography
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »
i'm going to try it with a kallitype coating...

besides, getting free samples of a pre-coated pt/pd paper would be very cool.  coating it is the most expensive part of that whole process.  but i do agree with you david, getting the brush strokes is what makes an alternative process stand out.  :)

we'll see what happens and i'll let you all know about it...

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:02:35 PM »
i'm going to try it with a kallitype coating...

besides, getting free samples of a pre-coated pt/pd paper would be very cool.  coating it is the most expensive part of that whole process.  but i do agree with you david, getting the brush strokes is what makes an alternative process stand out.  :)

we'll see what happens and i'll let you all know about it...

Brush strokes is quite an emotive subject - some say they detract from an image and that the process becomes more important! What I have seen and like if where the negative is bigger than the coated area and alludes to the space around the subject that one does not see.

There is a very useful thread on this paper at: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/33968-new-paper-platinum-palladium.html

Carl

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:00:47 PM »
Thanks for the link Carl. Very interesting, I'm not sure about the thinness - but I'll certainly give it a try if any samples get over this side of the Atlantic.

I'm doing masked borders at the moment, and I quite like having the image floating in the middle of the whiteness of the paper, but I think brushstrokes showing works well for some images ... and perhaps other alt processes more so than pt/pd.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 09:12:12 PM »
I'm doing masked borders at the moment, and I quite like having the image floating in the middle of the whiteness of the paper, but I think brushstrokes showing works well for some images ... and perhaps other alt processes more so than pt/pd.

At the end of the day its really up to the image maker but your point is the main one - the brush strokes should add to the image - a poor image is a poor image whatever it is printed on - plt/pd wwith brush strokes will not improve it!