Author Topic: knock back  (Read 3252 times)

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
knock back
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:22:02 PM »
I recently made a CD of images and dropped it off at a local artshop, after having a chat with the assistant manager, so that they could consider selling them. When I went to pick up the CD and ask what they thought, I got a total brush off. "Well, I really like the composition and the lighting but it's not in focus. This image, but clean and sharp, would be great" she said. I had explained before about the blur being part of the work and at the time it seemed that she really liked it.
Now I'm feeling fed up and deflated.
Maybe it's true. Perhaps I should be taking photos that are in focus.

Anybody else got tales of woe to cheer me up, or at least help me feel that I'm in good company?

Janet
 :-\

Ron

• Alt Photos
Re: knock back
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 03:39:21 PM »
Sorry to hear - I have had a similar experience around my area awhile ago.  A small gallery near where I work looked to be a strong candidate for my images after talking with one of the owners - or so I thought.   So, they said to bring in some pieces and I did.  After going over all the images (time consuming), the lady said they just didn't have any market for 'people' shots, blah, blah.  No biggie, I just was mining in the wrong place, I believe.  It was quite deflating, walking back to the car toting my work under my arms, though  :(

I am gearing up to meet with a 'photography only' gallery in Raleigh in the near future and hope to have better luck.  My initial meeting with the owner was nice and our future get-together is going to be informal and relaxed.  One thing I have learned is just the 'process' of going thru the paces, so to speak, can be healthy.  I need to update my resume, statements and work to meet with this fellow and just doing that has many benefits.  But all in all, sometimes the gallery and artist just don't fit (your work is darn nice, btw)  :)  Best of luck!  Oh,  thx. for your mention of Andrew Sanderson's Home Photography (other post) – it is just great, it’s one of the few photo books I own!

-Ron

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Don't let one non-blurry person get you down
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »
It's a matter of numbers Janet.
I submit constantly--sometimes I get into a contest, gallery or magazine--sometimes not.

Might be helpful to know---I've been advised by my consultant to check out the taste of a gallery prior to submitting.
For example--If they don't lean toward blur, they're probably not going to get me.
And if they represent too many blurry photogs, they're probably not going to have space on their roster.
Still, I usually give everything a shot because anything can lead to somethng else.
And for every no there might be a yes lurking around the corner.
But it's good to research each gallery and know what they are looking for prior to submitting.

I encourage you to just keep submitting. And try not to let one person who leans toward sharp get you down.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 06:06:27 PM by Susan B. »

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »
If it was an artshop rather than gallery I'm not too surprised, they're interested in selling to people who want a stereotypically "pretty picture" or at least that's what they think people want.  In general though it's probably true - most of my family don't really get the "arty" side of photography, to them a good picture is one that looks like a postcard.

I think Susan's advice is spot on, but aside from that knock backs are just part of the deal when you're attempting to do concrete things with creative works.  (Not that there aren't a few comments I've had that don't surface in my mind in my less secure moments!)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:09:22 AM »
If it was an artshop rather than gallery I'm not too surprised, they're interested in selling to people who want a stereotypically "pretty picture" or at least that's what they think people want. 

i think that hits the nail on the head,  if its a shop they will want something really commercial, that will appeal to the "masses" and without wanting to sound a bit like a nazi, they are generally a dull bunch!.....  if you get my drift. 

Its like when people at work want to see my webiste,  they say they like it, they say its very cool, but im sure by the wierd blank expression across the face they dont really get it. 

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 12:38:04 PM »
Maybe it's true. Perhaps I should be taking photos that are in focus.

Wot? This is not a knock-back, this is encouragement! Submit, submit, submit. Be comfortable with your art.

yola10go

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 04:17:05 AM »
I agree with Skorj...If you make art for other people you'll never be happy, it will turn into a chore and not a pleasure.

erika

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 11:17:56 AM »
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have spent years struggling with the idea that not everyone is going to like the photos I produce. I guess it's time to grow up and accept it.
I intend to keep submitting and entering competitions until someone likes what they see...

Janet