Author Topic: Official: Happiness Thread  (Read 50411 times)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Official: Happiness Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
Like you Ailsa, I am very happy today for Mr Cavendish and the rest of the GB road team :-)

My old college roommate is the chief mechanic for BMC, but isn't cycling like curling and it all ends in beer anyway?

It will do if Wiggins is involved :-)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »
Saw this for sale yesterday. It's very cute, even the back of the album is a picture of the back of the camera.
Camera photo album

I only passed it up due to seeing it after I had already paid for my other cheap trinkets  ;D

Ahh time for me to go to bookbinding class which I love because it reminds me of my high school art room which was such a positive environment for me. And I make pretty things!  :D
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
Went to a local camera fair last weekend and bought me a brand spanking new Zero 2000 so I can now have one for B&W and one for colour! Best bit was it cost me a third of what it would have cost at Silverprint... am very, very happy! :D :D

Forgot to add that is the DELUXE version complete with the hang round your neck exposure scale!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:04:32 PM by Paul Mitchell »
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2011, 03:31:50 PM »
It feels like Summer is back! So no complaint there :)
Yesterday, I went to pick apples at the orchard. It was sunny and warm. Since the apples were a bit on the sour side of things, I decided to wait a bit and came back instead with strangely shaped squash instead. They have that Gonzo the Great look so it made me smile.

I also brought the camera and shot almost an entire roll of film. On the way back, I stopped at a garage sale that was closing down. They were so tired they were giving most of their stuff away. So I got a small Nikon P&S and an accordion for 3$... and that's not counting the rest of the stuff I got for free :)

Free stuff always makes me smile :)
And now, I can learn to play yet another instrument (yay!)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
Paul, that is beautiful and you saved money!

I'm officially happy that I haven't backed out of this weekend's ramble!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2011, 04:02:29 PM »
Well, this morning was good to me :)
First, I downloaded to good looking books from the Bruce Gilden thread (Thanks Carlos).

But best of all, there was a Ladybug on my kitchen window this morning while I was preparing breakfast :)

I don't know why but ladybugs make me happy!
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
Cheap film... what better way to start your day!
So, yeah, at the grocery store, I nabbed 20 rolls of slightly expired (last April) house brand (made by Fuji) 400 iso film... for only 13$ tax in...
Not that I really needed it... but I just couldn't stand looking at them in their worn off boxes... so lonely in a wire basket... I calculated I paid only 10% of their original price!

Life really is good :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:38:32 PM by Francois »
Francois

samantha

• 35mm
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
Francois - lucky find!

Lots of reasons to feel happy, as others have already said - it's such a lovely time of year.

I think the Evening Primrose Oil I've been taking is making me slightly manic though! Woo hoo.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
I think the Evening Primrose Oil I've been taking is making me slightly manic though! Woo hoo.

Samantha, a little mania can be quite nice!

Have you tried gin? I like to think of it as a cure-all!  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »
I must admit that the smell of Fall is quite something...
Francois

samantha

• 35mm
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
Francois - if you lived where I live, you'd certainly be enjoying the smell right now. It's a beautiful conservation area, with a sewage treatment works just down the road, and when we have intense heat like we have had the last few days, it creates a distinctive and pervading smell of fermenting shite.

Phil - me and the booze do not get on. I'm an over-sensitive little flower. Though I shall be making a few bottles of my infamous sloe gin again this year, if you're interested. One of the nicer benefits of living where I do.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
Ah, Sloe Gin. That should always be in a happiness thread!  ;)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2011, 06:31:10 AM »
LOL! I always thought it was slow gin. HAHAHA!
mojave

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
Did anyone else notice the masses Sloes during our Ridgeway walk on Saturday?... Sandeha was even picking and eating them raw!
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »
I did, Paul. I was having enough trouble dragging myself around in the heat though. I thought a sack of sloes might have been one step too far!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »
Happiness is...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
Happiness is...
You mean hand made leather wrist straps :)
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »
Happiness is...
You mean hand made leather wrist straps :)

Yeah, I like those too.

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
Finally making it to see the 20th century Hungarian exhibition at the RA on the last day and discovering that the catalogue had dropped from 25 quid to a tenner plus the cards, prints ete were in and around 1/2 price.
Now should I do the same for the Don McCullen at the imperial war museum?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »
Just got given a Coronet Midget with two spools (http://www.submin.com/16mm/collection/coronet/index.htm) - the red and black model.

Cleaned up the lens and viewfinder and, at least in theory, it works like a charm.  Just cut some backing paper, so at some point will have to cut some film for it.  I mean, you can't not when you have one !!   ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
Francois - if you lived where I live, you'd certainly be enjoying the smell right now. It's a beautiful conservation area, with a sewage treatment works just down the road, and when we have intense heat like we have had the last few days, it creates a distinctive and pervading smell of fermenting shite.

Phil - me and the booze do not get on. I'm an over-sensitive little flower. Though I shall be making a few bottles of my infamous sloe gin again this year, if you're interested. One of the nicer benefits of living where I do.

Samantha,

You and I have the same issue regarding water treatment plants. We have one about 1/4 of a mile away across the fields. 99.9% of the time you'd never even guess it was there however, this weekend, there has been a pong like a tramp's sock round these parts and no mistake  :o

Sloe Gin? It's years since I've seen any in Tesco let alone contemplated making my own. Had a go at home brew beer (stout, actually) many moons ago. Not good. Very messy and totally undrinkable. Don't think adding half a bottle of brandy helped but I used to like chemistry at school.

Happiness is...........finding two bottles of very nice Merlot on special offer at Sainsbury's for £10. That's me sorted for a couple of nights  ::)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
First sunny day in a long time...
Best of all, the weather girl said it was going to be the Indian Summer... sweet since I have a ton of chores to do before the cold weather comes...
Francois

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »
Happiness is being home on the island again in the cool wet air after a week in Italy with Eve and Mr & Mrs Windy at L'Eroica cycle event. The weather went up to 40 C in Italy . Just a tad too hot for me! Mr Windy & I took some snaps too.

astrobeck

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
Fedx is on the way to my house with an old Nikon N90s.

The sky is clear and brisk, a crock-pot of stew is simmering and I have 2 cords of firewood to stack so the air is full of happiness!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
I'm about to take off to Eritrea for a few weeks.  Got three cameras and 180 rolls of film.

;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
@ Hookstrapped

I've seen photos of Eritrea and it looks beautiful, fascinating and bloody dangerous in equal proportions. I know you'll probably have an equivalent website that side of the duck pond but check this out:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/eritrea

Take care and make sure we get to see more of those dreamy shots we're so used to - as well as some of what you're about to see, of course.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
@ Hookstrapped

I've seen photos of Eritrea and it looks beautiful, fascinating and bloody dangerous in equal proportions. I know you'll probably have an equivalent website that side of the duck pond but check this out:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/eritrea

Take care and make sure we get to see more of those dreamy shots we're so used to - as well as some of what you're about to see, of course.

Thanks!  Well, with the internal travel permit requirement, I'm not getting anywhere near the borders with Ethiopia, Sudan or Djibouti -- but that still leaves a lot to see and snap.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2011, 09:04:16 PM »
Fedx is on the way to my house with an old Nikon N90s.
Very nice camera! I have one (F90x) and it is a joy to use. It came as a metering lenscap on a zoom lens I bought to replace the one I wore out!

The only thing is they manufactured it with rubberized paint on the back which became tacky. Since almost nothing would stick to it without making a big mess, I decided to use some cling wrap. That fixed the problem and looks pretty darn good :)
Francois

astrobeck

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
Just unwrapped the camera and put batteries in it.  Seems to work fine.
The back is indeed a bit of a mess, so was wondering how to make it nicer.

Might give the cling wrap bit a try.   :)

Also going to see if the spray-on bed-liner (like in the back of my truck) people can do anything with it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:58:42 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
I tried using rubber restorer on a part of it... it made the plastic melt!
I called Nikon on this one and the tech people told me there is no known way to remove the tackiness. They even told me that using any chemical will just make things worse. Glues won't stick to it. Paint won't either.

Since I didn't want to sand it (and ruin the reminder logos that are printed on), I opted for the cling wrap. My recommendation: use cling wrap. It's cheap, sticks good to the tacky plastic and costs nothing to replace if it gets damaged.

It's just a bit of a drag to cut but it's still not too bad.
Francois

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »
I just did my first evening ever in a dark room.... on a 10 week course at a college near me, well near ish... have to say the first images in the first ever contact sheet appearing was pretty amazing!

And I just got 20 boxes of Fuji 100b peel apart for a cracking price off the bay (search instant film, lots on there).

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »
Happiness is...

THIS THREAD.  I tried to erect something like this on my Facebook page.  No one played along.  Haha!!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »
I had 4 hours contracted to do some degree course planning today.  It only took two hours, but they paid for the whole 4 anyway.  Hurrah!
L.

Britt Aximon

• From my point of view
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
Sorry, this pic is digital and not film, but cant help it. This is my weekend happiness, my green house is almost ready! Freaking out, soooooooooo happy!!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
You lucky girl!
This is going to be sooooo nice in the early spring and late fall.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »
Well, Indian Summer is over and I spent it all in the garden shed...
Not that I don't regret missing out on such nice weather to go on a photo trip, but the shed really needed it!
Thing is I used it as a temporary storage for everything that won't go in the house. I ended up dumping tons of broken stuff that needs fixing directly in the bin. I also recycled a ton of books I no longer have any interest in... lets just say the place is much nicer :)

A good house cleaning is very good for the moral :)
Francois

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
Well lets see:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I am vertical and above ground - Sweet

Everything after that is a big daily bonus!

cheers
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »
I'm happy that I did NOT totally screw up my film yesterday when I forgot to put on any kind of lid or cover over the film before turning on the lights.

I do feel revitalised after being in the darkroom after work, but I can be a bit tired and forgetfull at the start of the session ;P
/jonas

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
I'm pretty happy that I found out a lab I heard of advertising is actually back in my hometown and they'll do flatrate $10 international postage and didn't freak out at me saying I'd send them 5 rolls of film at that price. Unfortunately I still need to shoot (or find? I thought I had some undeveloped around...) that much film but it's nice to know there's some place out there I can use. Not sure how VAT/Duty will be but I'm sure it'll still be competitively priced with UK labs.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
I've been walking around all morning with this big smile. I just got a new portrait kit for my Polaroid 195 and I know that the new Wilco album that I pre-ordered will be waiting for me when I get home. Happy. Happy. Happy.
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

Jeff.Glass

• 35mm
    • Jeffglassphoto.com
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
It rained! 

If that seems weird to you islanders:  http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weather/july-dec11/texasdrought_08-31.html

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
I had an afternoon with Robin Gillanders at a 'Meet the Expert' session at Kirkcaldy Art Gallery. (Scottish portrait photographer par excellence). He brought a DLSR tethered to a Mac and lighting to demonstrated some portrait skills. This was interesting enough and I learnt a lot from a few wise words. Better...he had a 10x8 Deardoff and he kindly let me have a play with movements etc. He is a film user for all his personal work. You could see some of the others scratching their heads as he extolled the virtues of film  :) I just stood there agreeing with everything he said.
He had a set of 10 portraits taken with the Deardoff on FP4, printed on Ilford FBWT paper which were stunning.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
Finally, I'm done with most of the Winter preparation chores.
Snow tires: on
Garden shed: half cleaned
Winter car carpets: installed
Network crash: fixed and I know what caused it!
Led Zepplin blasting on the computer: check

Now that's something to be happy about :)
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »
Francois - good to hear there's another Zep fan on FW.

I'm particularly happy today as I've just learned that Sigur Ros (Google them if you are unfamiliar and check out "Heima" on YouTube) are about to release a double "live" CD, BluRay / CD and photos package on 07/11. They're also recording a new studio album and are planning to tour in 2012.

The weird thing is that I can't understand a bloody word they're on about as my Icelandic isn't up to much.

I suppose it's a bit like my penchant for the band "Rammstein". All their tracks are sung in German and I have only the most basic grasp of that language.

Even more weird is a band called "Tool". On one of their albums, there's a quant little ditty called "Der Eier Von Satan" (Satan's Egg) which, when translated, turns out to be nothing more than a recital of the singer's grandmother's recipe for a cookie.....awwwww, bless  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2011, 03:26:58 PM »
Well, music wise, I do have a funny story to tell.
Yesterday, I had to get a few things at the Dollar Store (the big chain is called Dollarama here in Canada... just in case fellow Filmwasters are interested).

They always a small rack of CD's. Usually it's mostly classical or vintage pop compilations. But there's a cover that grabs my attention. It's not like their usual stuff. I just leaned to take a closer look and it was Guns 'n Roses' Chinese Democracy album :)

Somehow, it made me smile all day... when your record sales are so low that your album ends up at the Dollar Store with a 2$ logo on it...  :)
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
How is it $2 when it is in the Dollar store?  Our Pound Shops are "everything for a £"

Bringing this back to happiness - I delight in visiting pound shops and taking a variety of items to the checkout and asking "how much it this one" for each item.

I can tell the shop keeper finds it hilarious also.
L.

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »
I think for me, one of the best days of the week is Wednesday..... New music comes out on Tuesday, so all day Wednesday is spent listening to (and working) new albums.

This week the Jaywawks - Mockingbird Time

A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2011, 09:29:25 PM »
How is it $2 when it is in the Dollar store?  Our Pound Shops are "everything for a £"
Well, the company says they had to raise prices on some products to keep up with inflation. Most of their stuff is still 1$ (which is a good thing since a ton of my photo lab stuff comes from there) but there ate some items at 1.25$, 1.50$ and 2$.

They also have stuff at 2/1$... like facecloth.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
I just leaned to take a closer look and it was Guns 'n Roses' Chinese Democracy album :)

Somehow, it made me smile all day... when your record sales are so low that your album ends up at the Dollar Store with a 2$ logo on it...  :)

Well, much as I'm not a big fan of "Slash", GnR is zip without him. Apparently, the current incarnation got booed off stage at the O2 in London when they toured that album. It must have been hilarious to see a dick like Axl Rose getting the slow handclap. I suspect the copies of "Chinese Democracy" were over-priced by at least $1.99  ;D

I must try Leon's trick of asking the price next time I go to a £ shop. The one in the town where I live is staffed by some very odd characters....

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
Recieved this from ebay:

99 cents.  Box, instructions, lens cap - all there.   I know it was used at least once as there was a Kodak spool on the feed side. 

I'm going to find out whether or not my bulk roll of 46mm film is still any good soon enough (was fine two years ago, but accidentally left in the garage this summer because I misplaced it after moving- urrgh).

Has anybody had experience with this fine toy?