Author Topic: The Price of Film!  (Read 48429 times)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
The Price of Film!
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
Any 7dayshoopers out there noticed a massive increase in the cost of black and white film. It's doubled since I last bought supplies about 8-10 weeks ago. What are the costs like overseas? USA, Far East, Europe?
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
Re: The Price of Film!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
It's true...
I also noticed they have less choices available to buy... there's no 4x5 films available from them anymore !

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »
It's scary prices now!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
cheapest place I've found for ilford films is AG photographic.  but you are right, it is getting difficult to justify the price
L.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »
leon, gosh, that's quite almost a pound difference in price per 120 roll....i always think of 7dayshop as cheapest and never think to look around....thanks for the heads up.

CamerAsian

• privatize the profit, nationalize the debt
    • Prints of Darkness
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »
Prices in Japan appear to be unchanged. The weaker euro and pound (especially against the yen) might have something to do with it (in the case of Fujiilm, anyway).

Minutefilm

• 35mm
  • Ben Boswell - Minutefilm.co.uk
    • Minutefilm.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »
Uk prices went up about 15% at the beginning of last month but the distributors are apparently not making anything on sales at the moment.  as a retailer I try to keep the cost as low as possible, I'd rather sell lots and make a little than hike the price until I don't sell any at all.

It is getting much harder to get less 'mainstream' product, you're fine if all you want is 100 or 400 b/w or colour neg in 35mm or 120, plenty of choice still but Reversal films and sheet sizes or very fast or slow emulsions are disappearing.
Ben Boswell - Minutefilm Ltd
Suppliers of film and instant materials, Holga and Zero Image cameras. http://www.minutefilm.co.uk
Blogger about photography - http://minutefilm.blogspot.com/

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »
Guys I'm beginning to wonder whether it's time to finish off the film and sell the Leica before prices begin to fall for cameras?

As film becomes more scarce and more expensive I'd have thought that equipment prices will begin to fall too.

I love the Leica to bits, but don't see much fun in owning a camera that I can't use.

Is anyone else feeling even more uneasy than before?

The solution looks like an M9, but I don't think I could afford the divorce that would go with it!  :D
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:56:51 PM »
I just googled M9 and it came up with a pistol...a little extreme, no? :))

No, I don't feel uneasy.
I was thinking today how mostly unflattering digital portraits are...that even though we can briefly focus in on  the creases or dry skin  etc on someone's face irl, we don't actually really see that when we're with someone...we see their expressions, how they move, their smiles and so on...digital seems too often about the image, not about the person, it's just a different look i guess.
Anyway, what I meant to say was I'm sticking with film :)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »
I noticed, by accident, if you buy Tri-X from 7 dayshop it's 3.29 pounds per roll, if you buy via Amazon it still comes from 7dayshop and it's 2.70 pounds, both with free shipping.

I don't know if it's the same with other films but it's worth a look.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:49:23 PM »
Nigel, i totally blame you for my order at amazon :).....they have Astia!!!!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
Glad to be of service!  :)

website

mikeg

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »
Ouch! I just checked the prices at 7dayshop. It's not too long ago when 120 film was 1.50 a roll. Delta 100 35mm is now 4.77!

I too am now using Ag Photographic. I was thinking of using Digitaltruth (www.digitaltruth.com). 10 rolls of what is supposedly Fuji Neopan or Acros is 1.99 a roll for 35mm. Has anyone used them? I just wondered what their delivery times were like?

Cheers

Mike

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 03:20:16 PM »
I too am now using Ag Photographic. I was thinking of using Digitaltruth (www.digitaltruth.com). 10 rolls of what is supposedly Fuji Neopan or Acros is 1.99 a roll for 35mm. Has anyone used them? I just wondered what their delivery times were like?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used this?

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
I was thinking of going back to rolling my own. Was looking at some reusable cassettes recently and I think I still have a bulk loader in the attic. Doesn't work for 120 of course.

As for film camera prices coming down (Chops), all I see are prices going up. I've seen 25-30% increases in some items over maybe the last year.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used this?
I remember someone using Neopan about 15 years ago back in college. Film was nice and used much shorter processing time than Kodak for the same sensitivity... she had to process separately from the other rolls (we bunched up 4 rolls per tank).
If memory serves me well, it had a nice grain structure (shell grain I think they called it) and no curl whatsoever.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »
Prices in the US have jumped as well. 20 - 30%, depending on the supplier. 220 has been increasingly sparse in selection and the per roll price is nudging
up close 10 USD per roll.

For 120 I've been shooting fomapan and Arista.edu for everyday 'casual' shooting. Neither get along with scanners in addition to some  other erratic streaking issues. @ 2.39 USD per roll on the arista, I'll go with that for casual shooting... There was a local shop selling past date film at less than a buck a roll and typically a couple months past date. That dried up - too bad:(

Otherwise, neopan 400 has been showing up consistently at my local supplier at close to it's former price. Ilford & kodak films  have  jumped up significantly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:42:11 PM by gregor »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »
I am just checking the price of raw silver on the markets over the last 10 years.
Right now, the prices are at 18.50US$ per ounce.
But back in December 2008, the price was only 9.91US$ per ounce.

Considering that the companies probably buy at a contractually fixed yearly (or multi year) rate, they're probably raising their prices simply to cover their costs which could have doubled in a fairly short time.
Just to compare, in 2000 the price was around 5US$ an ounce...

Here's the raw data http://www.kitco.com/charts/historicalsilver.html
Francois

astrobeck

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
I was thinking today how mostly unflattering digital portraits are...that even though we can briefly focus in on  the creases or dry skin  etc on someone's face irl, we don't actually really see that when we're with someone...we see their expressions, how they move, their smiles and so on...digital seems too often about the image, not about the person, it's just a different look i guess.
Anyway, what I meant to say was I'm sticking with film :)

and digital pinhole is just plain icky!

I use Freestyle and Adorama mostly for all my film purchases. B&H too.   Also buy the random expired rolls, sheets, etc. from eBad.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
freestyle seems to be the same, though there are fewer choices. fuji acros is the only bw fuji film now. kodak and ilford have been about $4 a roll for awhile now, depending on film speed. the cheap arista film is about 50 cents more, though.

still good deals on ebay. got a couple boxes of ektar for a lot less than the stores sell them for.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:01:24 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 10:01:34 PM »
Find someone that has an in with ilford and buy direct at significant discounts - I seem to remember it needs to be over GBP100 per order!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:16:25 PM by ed.wenn »

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
Well, I am shooting Fuji almost exclusively now.  Like Gregor, I noticed that its been at least ?1 or so less than comparative Ilford and Kodak films for quite a few months.  I made what was for a me a big investment in film when I bought 20 Acros and 20 each of Neopan 400 and 1600 in January when they were around ?2.25 each and Ilford Delta was almost ?4.  And, as I love all three films it made sense to make them my standard choice for the next year or so at least.

Crazy, and hardly good for the planet, but it seems its much cheaper to ship in from Japan than make it and send it out from Mobberley.

Graham

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Hey, where've my pound symbols disappeared to?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »
Don't worry about the Pounds turning into question marks.
The site doesn't use a codepage that allows full characters. I had to change a character in my name to avoid being called Fran?ois...
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »
Crazy, and hardly good for the planet, but it seems its much cheaper to ship in from Japan than make it and send it out from Mobberley.

Graham

Graham - even more crazy when there is a reasonably well-accepted suggestion that acros, at least, may also be manufactured for Fuji in a north-western English small-town near Knutsford. (dont quote me on that though).
L.

mikeg

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
Just to let everyone know that I ordered 20 rolls of Legacy Pro 400 on Sunday and it turned up today (Wednesday). So excellent service from Digital Truth and very cheap at 1.99 pounds a roll plus 5.95 P&P. Much faster than 7dayshop, comparable to Ag Photographic and just about the cheapest I've been able to find.

The film is dated 02-2011. So, not too long an expiry date but I expect I'll get through it by then. As people have said it looks like Neopan 400 with the same developing times, which is great as it's my favourite 400 ISO film.

Cheers

Mike

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
not too long an expiry date but I expect I'll get through it by then.
No rush there... Film isn't a jar of yogurt ;)
You won't have cherry flavored bacterial proliferation happening  ;D
Francois

Terry

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 02:27:26 AM »
I just bought a batch of Fomapan 120 rolls from B+H for about $3 each.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »
Just to let everyone know that I ordered 20 rolls of Legacy Pro 400 on Sunday and it turned up today (Wednesday). So excellent service from Digital Truth and very cheap at 1.99 pounds a roll plus 5.95 P&P. Much faster than 7dayshop, comparable to Ag Photographic and just about the cheapest I've been able to find.

The film is dated 02-2011. So, not too long an expiry date but I expect I'll get through it by then. As people have said it looks like Neopan 400 with the same developing times, which is great as it's my favourite 400 ISO film.

Mike
I have used a fair bit of Legacy 400. Nice film although the grain is a bit wormy in Rodinal 1:50. Much better at 1:100. Cheap film but still nice.

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »
I just searched on Amazon curious about this 7dayshop price difference... the search engine found this little gift for the filmwaster who has everything  ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B001F1B6LK&x=12&y=21

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
heh :)

and the astia has gone up 50p a roll on amazon since my order a couple of weeks ago.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
Don't worry about the Pounds turning into question marks.
The site doesn't use a codepage that allows full characters. I had to change a character in my name to avoid being called Fran?ois...

Yeah, sorry about the UK pound sign disappearing when you post to the forum. We're going to be forced to upgrade the forum software to e newer version very soon (for a whole other reason) and I'll take a look at how we remedy this issue at the same time. In the meantime you can use "GBP" instead as it's the internationally recognized 3 character designation for our glorious, isolationist currency  ;) (http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html)

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
I bought ten rolls of cheap chinese 120 (Shanghai GP3 100) a while ago and have just finished a test roll.  I'm thinking that these days the GP3 will have to be the 'filmwasting' stuff while the gold-plated stuff from Ilford stays in the freezer and gets rolled out for a couple of frames on high days and holidays only.  Trouble is if everyone is as tight as me that'll spell the end of it :(

I used to sell my filmwasting activities to the accounting other 'arf by stating that film lasted longer, and was far cheaper, than beer.  May soon need another argument!

Will post some Shanghai examples soon...

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
I tend to go for Rollei retro from AG photographic ?32.50 for 20 rolls of 100 ISO or Legacy Pro 400 from digitaltruth

I may occasionaly use fomapan if there's a deal at the time I need a supply (currently 2.29/2.79 100/400 at ag photographic)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:56:02 AM by Windy »

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
I noticed, by accident, if you buy Tri-X from 7 dayshop it's 3.29 pounds per roll, if you buy via Amazon it still comes from 7dayshop and it's 2.70 pounds, both with free shipping.
I don't know if it's the same with other films but it's worth a look.

With my usual webery skills I can't find any Tri-X or Astia for sale.

Could you provide a link dear boy?

Thanks, Chops

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 08:53:42 AM »
Thanks Vicky, can't find the 2.70 rolls though.

What am I missing?

Chops

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
No nor can i. *puzzles*.
could be the price has altered already which is what happened to the astia just after i placed my order.
and i've noticed on ebay even the expired film is matching new prices at the moment :(

wpink

• 35mm
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 06:18:15 AM »
I tend  to buy most of my film, as well as other supplies, from Freestyle ( http://www.freestylephoto.biz/ ).  The prices seem reasonable and a good selection. I really like Tri-X, and for 35mm tend to roll my own.  I also love 127 format and always think it seems overpriced, working on rollin' my own.   

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
I had one of those film buying adventures yesterday.
I usually get my 35mm film from a local grocery store. I go through their shelves to find boxes of recently expired film and try to strike a deal with the manager for a big rebate.

Yesterday, I found 8 rolls of ISO 400 house brand film. To my surprise, the price on the shelf is 5.76$ ... higher than usual. So I have the manager called and ask him about getting me a tasty rebate on the expired film. He tells me there is a new policy from the head office towards rebates. He scans a roll and tells me the most he can do is take off 25%... a rebate which is far from the minimum 50% off expired stuff that I'm used to. And he goes on to tell me that the new orders are to put all expired or un-coded (missing UPC code)  products directly in the compactor!

This literally made my heart sink... I can't believe a company is willing to loose the full value of a product instead of liquidating it at a fair price... especially since the product was essentially "unsaleable" to anyone except me...
Francois

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »
Thanks Vicky, can't find the 2.70 rolls though.

Chops / Vicky sorry for the late response, I've been 'off-radar', as it were. I can only assume it was a mis-listing by 7dayshop, it was definately there at the time. I'll keep 'em peeled and report back.

website

harragan

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
Poundland have recently had a bit of a run on 35mm.  I bought a bucket load of Kodak 200 and have just started using it. 

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
JDM Fuji has gone up perhaps 20% over this year... Skj.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »
Poundland have recently had a bit of a run on 35mm.  I bought a bucket load of Kodak 200 and have just started using it. 

I've been getting buckets of Kodak Gold 200 expired free off a friend. I keep threatening to just yoink them out and decorate a christmas tree with them...
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »

I've been getting buckets of Kodak Gold 200 expired free off a friend. I keep threatening to just yoink them out and decorate a christmas tree with them...
Free Gold 200 slightly overexposed, you can't get better than that!
Francois

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »
For all you 7dayshop people in the UK. I got some Neopan and Velvia for less than 2 quid a roll  today - no huge saving, but, welcome nevertheless!

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »
thanks Phil, just picked up 10 rolls of neopan :)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
Nice one, Vicky. Not a huge saving, but, not a bad price.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »
Spotted this one today: http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-retro-13536br20-films-expiry-date-2012-p-1691.html

20 rolls of Rollei retro 100 for 32-ish euro. Hmmm....I haven't used this film before- what's it like?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
it's the original rollei retro so it is the remaining stocks of agfa apx 100. A very nice film that is sorely missed. Once this lot goes, there is no more.  I thought that it had already sold out, but there is obviously still some left.  Maco/Rollei film have already started to sell an alternative in the Retro 80S which is, by all accounts, an entirely different film.

Knowing Maco, it will be another old stock film being re-spooled and packaged.
L.