Author Topic: Gloomy, Beer-Infused Birthday Outing with Jeff & Satish  (Read 3896 times)

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Gloomy, Beer-Infused Birthday Outing with Jeff & Satish
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »
Hi Folks,

So, last Sunday was my birthday. I have officially broken the quarter-century mark, and I'm heading towards 30. Sure, I still have 4 years to go, but still. At least my car insurance should be cheaper now. On Saturday, Satish and Jeff Warden headed to Philly and met up with me and my cousin Diana, who came to visit from NYC also. We headed towards South Philly, however, the day was a bit gloomy with sporadic rain so we went to a bar and ordered some beers to hydrate and plan out photo walk.

After having a drink and a bite to eat, we started walking towards the Italian Market, where the famous scene from "Rocky" was filmed (you know, running on that stretch full of produce-sellers, on his way to beat up some meat). I had Tri-X loaded on my camera, and as we were crossing the street, I noticed a beggar asking for money and a couple that as soon as they noticed the guy, got tense, looking straight forward without making eye contact as the guy simply said "God bless you" when they walked by. I snapped a shot from my chest.

eye contact
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

At the market, I could not get enough shots since I was a bit busy taking a look at the streetside thrift stores, looking for books and such. We then left to Passyunk Avenue, which is famous for its restaurants and for the fact that runs diagonally as opposed to the regular, vertical/horizontal streets. I saw these kids playing basketball, however, when I tried to catch them in the air, my autofocus "hooked" to the metal fence.

Trapped

As we kept walking, we ended up in a little alley full of cool little things, however, we saw a cat and I couldn't resist taking a shot.

Gato

We stopped at another bar, and after being happy because, (A) - It was air-conditioned, (B) - Diana finally got a decent size of Scotch for her money, Jeff had to leave, and the three of us headed towards the center of the city. We stopped at a little plaza so Satish could change rolls, and Diana sat at a cement stop, and since it was the last frame of the roll, I used it on her.

Sit

Once again, we stopped at another bar for drinks and we headed towards the train station. Satish had to catch his bus, and we needed to get on our line to go back home. As soon as we entered the station, it started puring rain. I noticed a person standing at the very end of the line, and I for some reason (maybe because of the alcohol) I thought he might wanted to jump to the tracks, so I approached him and asked if everything was OK, and he said that he loves the rain and wanted to get closer. I took a picture of him with Kodak Gold 400, and went back home.

end of the line_

More pictures to follow from Satish and Jeff.

Take care!
M.

Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

cs1

• Self-Coat
Re: Gloomy, Beer-Infused Birthday Outing with Jeff & Satish
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Great shots, Miguel. I like the shot of Diana, she seems to be a very charming person and the picture of here looks very natural. My favourite is the "end of line" photo, especially together with the background story. The picture is very moody and the blue/red contrast works fantastically with the composition.

Apart from the photos, God bless you for asking the man if he was alright. I really mean it. It's very responsible of you and I very much appreciate that you're so considerate to do something like that for a stranger.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:51:52 AM »
Nice essay Miguel, I really like how the out of focus shot through the fence came out.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 07:39:24 PM »
It's not a gloomy day if you're shooting color! Especially if you're overexposing a stop! :D

Shot on Provia 100 (shot @50 and developed normally in C41) generously donated by Jeff because I was crying that all the 120 I had was "boring" Tri-X and Portra ;D This is on my Yashica Mat where I completely scratched up the lens as I was trying to clean the haze off  :-\ Luckily, the haze seems mostly gone and the scratches don't seem to have much effect on the image quality!!

Flowers :)

Italian market

Italian market

TFW you forget that you're shooting at 1/4 sec  :-\

Alleys, one of my favorite subjects :)

More flowers :)

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
Those Yashica pictures came out good!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »
Now some black and white. Same camera, Tri-X, HC110.

Random band at a random street fair

Ok, so the lens still gets fuzzy if I way overexpose it and there's a lot of light in the background, but I can't say I hate it. I'll either pull out the lens and cerium oxide it some more, or learn to use this to my advantage.

An ice cream shop, but to me it looks like a carousel or something...

Last couple of Diana  :-*

I call this type of photo "stealing someone else's shot" (in this case, her own)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »

*WELL, ya damn ferrner ;)

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »

I knew you were going to say that. Never fails  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:37 PM »
Great shots, Satish. The Yashica has a lot of character. You seem to have saved the lens. Good job. It definitely looks like you guys had a brilliant time.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Great shots guys! It was a good birthday walk for sure, and you guys need to visit again soon. Better yet, I'm overdue for an NYC trip so maybe we can meet there.

I only managed seven pictures while out, but enjoyed the sights and the company.  Good fun!

Satish, it's pretty amazing the quality you're getting from that Yashica. It's a keeper!

These were taken with my Makina W67 and Provia.

View from the sidewalk - Miguel and Satish chatting up the typewriter nerd.

He was friendly until he heard the Makina go thwack!

People watching in the Italian Market (which hasn't actually been an Italian market for years). It's an everyone welcome market.

Last one. It basically hasn't stopped raining since you guys left.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »

I knew you were going to say that. Never fails  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's only to try to make up for my embarrassment that I can't speak Spanish with you  :'(

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
Great shots guys! It was a good birthday walk for sure, and you guys need to visit again soon. Better yet, I'm overdue for an NYC trip so maybe we can meet there.

I only managed seven pictures while out, but enjoyed the sights and the company.  Good fun!

Satish, it's pretty amazing the quality you're getting from that Yashica. It's a keeper!

These were taken with my Makina W67 and Provia.

Yes, it's a keeper! Now I have to decide whether I *really* want to open it up and try to fix the meter  :o