Author Topic: Zeiss Ikon Super Nettel / Bed-Stuy Caddies  (Read 2859 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Zeiss Ikon Super Nettel / Bed-Stuy Caddies
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »
I've been eyeing getting a Super Nettel for a while for some reason, but they are too expensive. One popped up real cheap with a shutter that didn't work and it was mine. I managed to fix the shutter with copious amounts of lighter fluid, but I think the soaking contributed to the 86 year-old silk ribbons on one side to fail. After a sojourn to Oleg in Russia to be repaired, I had it back and it works perfectly -- still altogether under the going auction prices and with new shutter ribbons that will hopefully last another 86 years. My Super Nettel has the f3.5 Tessar, and I really like the way it renders the transition from in focus to out of focus. Most of the following shots were shot at f3.5 or f4.

I've been wanting to do a series on the old Cadillacs in my neighborhood but wasn't happy with what I had shot before. With the Super Nettel, I decided to shoot vertically -- something I rarely do. I was inspired by Sergio Larraín's work in Valparaiso where he uses the vertical orientation a lot, which works well to show the layers of the scenes he shoots. I like how that treatment works for the Caddies. There's still a couple more out there that I will hopefully add soon.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:16:01 PM by hookstrapped »

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
Re: Zeiss Ikon Super Nettel / Bed-Stuy Caddies
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 07:45:10 PM »
I was not familiar with this camera.  Thanks for the introduction.  It looks really nice.  I like the results—the vertical look seems to add depth.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Zeiss Ikon Super Nettel / Bed-Stuy Caddies
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »
A few more (and I switched out the Biggie / Caddie shot above with another with more Biggie)