Author Topic: Shot in Super 16mm -- the new film 'Carol'  (Read 1785 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Shot in Super 16mm -- the new film 'Carol'
« on: December 23, 2015, 03:51:01 PM »
Declaring victory in the film vs. digital debate

https://medium.com/vantage/carol-ba14bd0ffa5f#.tk8jwnpqa

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Shot in Super 16mm -- the new film 'Carol'
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »
Thanks for posting, Peter.  16mm? That must have been quite a brave move, I would have thought?

I saw the trailer for this a week or so back and, to be fair, it was stunning.  However, the plot didn't appeal to me whatsoever at the time but, in retrospect, I'm seriously considering going to see this when it arrives in our local cinema.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
Thanks for posting, Peter.  16mm? That must have been quite a brave move, I would have thought?

I saw the trailer for this a week or so back and, to be fair, it was stunning.  However, the plot didn't appeal to me whatsoever at the time but, in retrospect, I'm seriously considering going to see this when it arrives in our local cinema.

It's really a great movie, and visually so strong.

There was a quote I didn't pull out from an interview with the DP where he said 35mm had too fine a grain, it was too smooth.  Interesting technical detail: though he shot Super 16, he used 35mm lenses, he said because they had a "rounder" character. I think that might mean they are higher quality lenses than what's generally available for 16mm.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
Interesting piece. I think the people who actually film or photograph seriously, whether professional or amateur, have remained well aware of the differences between in film and digital; the interesting bit to me is how film, having been assumed dead by those outside the group above, is now slowly creeping back into their lives, whether they know it or now.

On the the other end of the film size spectrum, Tarantino shot his latest, "The Hateful Eight," in 70mm Ultra-Panavision, a format not used since "Khartoum" in 1966. Better still, they refurbished projection equipment to show it in that format in 100 theaters. I really hope to get to see it before the limited run ends.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »
Interesting piece. I think the people who actually film or photograph seriously, whether professional or amateur, have remained well aware of the differences between in film and digital; the interesting bit to me is how film, having been assumed dead by those outside the group above, is now slowly creeping back into their lives, whether they know it or now.

On the the other end of the film size spectrum, Tarantino shot his latest, "The Hateful Eight," in 70mm Ultra-Panavision, a format not used since "Khartoum" in 1966. Better still, they refurbished projection equipment to show it in that format in 100 theaters. I really hope to get to see it before the limited run ends.

I think you'd appreciate the gift Carol gives to Therese in the movie

Mike Crawford

• 35mm
    • mike-crawford.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 11:42:49 PM »
Was very interested in seeing the film as had read the book a couple of years ago and the publicity mentioned that the cinematography was based on Saul Leiter's colour work. Saw it last week and really recommend it. There are probably references to other photographers work in it too, but it really does have the feel of Leiter, especially some of the street scenes shot through cab windows. Perhaps a bit of Edward Hopper too. Apart from the visual look, it is a beautifully crafted and acted film, albeit quite slow which makes it perfect for seeing on the big screen. The fact that the charcter of Therese in the film has been changed from a young set designer to photographer gives even more references to the photographic content throughout the film.