Author Topic: non photo chemicals  (Read 1768 times)

synj00

non photo chemicals
« on: January 07, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
So I was in my "darkroom" the other day getting some 12o onto the spool and I realized that I had lotion on my hands. It didnt hurt anything though. That got me thinking: What type of non photo chemicals have you exposed your film to? Accidentally or on purpose.

I know there's been thousands of experiments and accidents just from the people on this forum alone. I know I've had my share of accidents at least.  :o

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: non photo chemicals
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »
sweat, urine, other unmentionable bodily fluids...
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
I once ruined a platinum print because I'd eaten an orange earlier in the day and apparently not washed my hands sufficiently...

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »
ohh that reminds me, i've left a few cyanotypes around the bathroom and the combo of random drips of water and occasional water-with-soap mixed made some cool effects. I'll have to see if they're around somewhere.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:41 AM »
best thing i ever did was drop my film in the sink while spooling it. so i'm in the dark, i just pick it up and spool the wet film and put it in the container. i turn on the light and there is black shit everywhere from the film (the anti-halide coating stuff). all over my hands and jeans, all over the floor. was somewhat amusing.
                                                                  - John Waters

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »
best thing i ever did was drop my film in the sink while spooling it. so i'm in the dark, i just pick it up and spool the wet film and put it in the container. i turn on the light and there is black shit everywhere from the film (the anti-halide coating stuff). all over my hands and jeans, all over the floor. was somewhat amusing.

That happens every time I do enlarged negatives. Not helped by the fact that I pre-dunk my lith film in a sink of water (3ft away from the trays) so it slides into the developer easier, my bathtub ends up looking like an angry squid came in and attacked something... Luckily it's all water soluable and doesn't seem to do serious damage.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

roryot

• Cork Analogue Photographers
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »
Not really a chemical incident, but the first time I tried processing 120 film, I cut the backing paper from the film, let the film fall on the floor and spooled the backing paper. I t was bloody hard to spool too! I was none the wiser until I turned the lights on. Doh!

synj00

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »
Thats awesome  ;D Like me fixing my film with more developer and wondering why the negs were pink for the first time ever. Fixed again even after it had been exposed to the light and still ended up with cool looking photos.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »
Not really a chemical incident, but the first time I tried processing 120 film, I cut the backing paper from the film, let the film fall on the floor and spooled the backing paper. I t was bloody hard to spool too! I was none the wiser until I turned the lights on. Doh!

that made me laugh...
                                                                  - John Waters