Author Topic: water cooler moment.South Africa and Rankin  (Read 1075 times)

euge...

• Flickr
water cooler moment.South Africa and Rankin
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »
Did anybody manage to catch 'South Africa in Pictures' on BBC4 last night(27/4).
Rankin talked to photographers past and present about the impact photography has and had in South Africa.He talked to David Goldblatt ,surviving members of the bang bang club and newer street /fashion  photographers and students.Apart from the fantastic and moving images It was good to see film and film quality being well represented.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem to be on the iplayer ,but it is on again over the coming weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s6bdh

mikeg

Re: water cooler moment.South Africa and Rankin
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
Yes, I did.

It was much better than I thought it was going to be.

A wide range of photographic styles with just about everyone interviewed using film.

I really enjoyed it. I'd recommend catching it when it's next on.

Mike

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »
A really great programme about a country with such a fascinating history. Loads of great images and photographers, on again tonight at 23.30. Well worth watching. The only thing that got me was Rankin turning up at religious ceremonies to take pictures saying "It's kind of spiritual, isn't it?" He did take some cracking pictures from his experiences though. Was that a Canon EOS 1 he was using?

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
Is it just me or were Rankin and Boy George separated at birth?  They do look somewhat alike.
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:57:37 PM »
Is it just me or were Rankin and Boy George separated at birth?  They do look somewhat alike.
That depends if you're talking about the Culture Club era or Boy George's  Krishna era...
Strangely, I don't see Ranking wearing this much makeup.  :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.