Author Topic: Polaroid vs Impossible Project  (Read 4230 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Polaroid vs Impossible Project
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:51:50 AM »
Yesterday I was treated to an unexpected discovery ... an old Polaroid picture of my dog, who passed away in 1996.  So many levels of memories ... the dog, of course, and then the fact that I found it being used as a bookmark in a Salman Rushdie book that an ex-girlfriend gave me in about 2002 that I never finished reading (which is why I finally picked it back up to read). And of course the coincidence that I only very recently reacquired an SX-70 and have started to shoot IP insties [btw, I have a new name for IP's film format ... since it's not quite "instant" since it takes 45 minutes to develop, I'm borrowing #latergram terminology and calling it Lateroid].

So without further ado, here it is. Indoor, flash, but with a richness of color that IP film doesn't have. And it's stayed crisp since the early 90's! (maybe even late 80's ... he looks pretty young here)

And just for comparison, here are the 2 IP (Lateroid) shots I took this week.

Terry

Re: Polaroid vs Impossible Project
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:00:58 AM »
The difference is enormous--much as I admire the pluck of TIP they're just not there yet.  I shot some TIP b+w and then I picked up a 320 Land camera and a bunch of FP3000.  Gorgeous stuff.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:52:07 AM »
Awww, puppy!

I haven't shot any Lateroids (as a linguist, I approve of your neologism! :) ) so I can't compare directly, but I've been quite impressed with the Fuji color emulsions, both the peel apart and the Instax. And of course the 3000B is gorgeous, as Terry said. Still gutted that it's being discontinued. I do imagine I'll shoot some IP film at some point - I have an old SX-70 I'd really like to try out. Just wish it weren't so expensive.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Same thing here. I'm going through my very last pack of 600 one frame at a time stretching it as much as I possibly can.
I think I have 8 frames left...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:40 AM »
Yes, I can't understand why they haven't been able to crack the code of delivering Polaroid color.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
I once read that some of the chemicals used by Polaroid are not available anymore, probably due to environmental concerns.
One thing that always struck me is how beautiful synthetic and highly toxic colors are in almost everything whether it be printing inks or anything else.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »
One thing that always struck me is how beautiful synthetic and highly toxic colors are in almost everything whether it be printing inks or anything else.

Let's not forget the uranium oxide used in red-glazed Fiesta Ware back in the 1930's. Nothing like radioactive place settings and serving trays!
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »

Let's not forget the uranium oxide used in red-glazed Fiesta Ware back in the 1930's. Nothing like radioactive place settings and serving trays!

Not color related but for optical properties Radioactive Thorium oxide was used in camera lenses from the 1940's to 1970's.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
Yes, I can't understand why they haven't been able to crack the code of delivering Polaroid color.

Yeah it has to do with chemicals. One in particular is unavailable, so they had to start from scratch to find something that would work. This year they had some issues with suppliers no longer carrying a couple parts, as well, so they had to work through that. I'm sure it is tough in a world where film is dying to find companies that make the componants.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:45:15 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
Just looking at the 14 layers used in the original Polaroid, you quickly begin to understand how hard the task really is.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:58:33 PM »
chemicals, chemicals... reading that adox interview over at japan camera hunter I got a bit scared too. when asked if he could wish just one thing then he pleaded against a ban on a specific chemical.
/jonas

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »
I found  a picture of me, taken on 600 film, shortly after I was born.. 1977 looks like it could of been taken yesterday  - colours perfectly crisp, looks amazing.   IP film still doesnt cut it.. I buy the occasional pack though. 

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:31:43 AM »
I found  a picture of me, taken on 600 film, shortly after I was born.. 1977 looks like it could of been taken yesterday  - colours perfectly crisp, looks amazing.   IP film still doesnt cut it.. I buy the occasional pack though.

Funny, I also have a picture of me on a Polaroid (don't know what kind it was) that still looks really good. I don't remember if I ever posted it. It was taken in 1972 (it was my first birthday) with the Land Camera 100 that I still use (albeit with Fujifilm mostly).

Day 321 - As a child by limrodrigues, on Flickr
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 01:00:04 AM »
Funny, I also have a picture of me on a Polaroid (don't know what kind it was) that still looks really good. I don't remember if I ever posted it. It was taken in 1972 (it was my first birthday) with the Land Camera 100 that I still use (albeit with Fujifilm mostly).

Are you shooting lightning bolts out of your fingers?  If so, that's a pretty cool trick, can you still do it?  :)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 02:43:35 AM »

Are you shooting lightning bolts out of your fingers?  If so, that's a pretty cool trick, can you still do it?  :)

It's why I never need a flash  ;D
Leonore

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »
Lovely PJ  ;D
Francois

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
Those were my party clothes!  (Hey, it was the 70s and I was too young to dress myself yet ;) )
Leonore

jakelovesphoto

• 35mm
  • I'm Jake and I love analog photography. I shoot 4x5, 120, 35mm, and all kinds of Polaroid.
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
So the trouble isn't only the availability of dyes. The integral (and peel apart) color films work on a pH/density based dance of sorts, different layer diffusing across other neutralizing, raising and lowering pH values. It's a chemical nightmare, that they've done ok with all things considered.
Using Tapatalk