Author Topic: Remember that time.....  (Read 6978 times)

6cmsquare

Remember that time.....
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »
When you spent the morning lugging around your tripod, light meter, and camera, and you were really taking your time with your shots. -and you were really feeling good about your exposures and zone calculations, and were even surprised with some of the shots you were finding? ....Then, when you intuitively knew you were getting near frame 15, and rolled your camera over to see what frame you were on.... the counter still read "1" and you noticed somehow your camera was set to "multi".......... :-\
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Remember that time.....
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »
No, but I do remember that time when I loaded up my 35mm camera and set out on a voyage of discovery, and discover I did, magical scenes and perfect exposures and never-to-be-repeated "decisive moment" shots, and then intuitively I knew I was nearing the end of the roll (the frame counter helped too ;) ) but the film kept advancing long past the 36th (or 24th) exposure, and fearing the worst (well, not the worst, but a close facsimile of it), I opened the camera and found that the leader never actually engaged the teeth and therefore I had just taken >36 shots on the first (exposed) frame :P

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:31:53 PM »
That just happened to me a few weeks ago, and I'm usually pretty good about making sure the rewind knob is turning.  My best shot ever was on that roll!  I realized what happened when I went past 36 exposures.  When I started rewinding I immediately heard the film suck into the canister.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:34:45 PM by Bryan »

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »
I've done that, visit to a church in nice surrounding, went to change rolls and the rewind felt slack, hadn't engaged properly in the teeth

Went home after that

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
I did a similar thing with my Fed-3 except that it doesn't have a frame counter. So I just kept snapping away happily until probably around shot 50 or so, I thought to myself "Gosh, it's been a long time since I loaded this film... " I then ignored myself and snapped another 20 or so. Finally, I took the back off in the dark and felt the leader pointing out of the back of the camera. I can't remember the rest of that day. I think I spent most of it in the fetal position on the floor of my bathroom.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:19:25 PM »
Went home after that

This is pretty much my reaction of choice as well.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »
No, but I remember vividly and with some considerable pain and embarrassment the day, shortly after buying it, when I took my "new" Hassy 500c/m on holiday to Scotland (Isle of Skye).  Although I'd watched Youtube videos on how to load the thing and had shot 8 or 10 rolls previously, I accidentally loaded TWO ROLLS CONSECUTIVELY (on separate backs) with the backing paper uppermost.  In doing so, I missed a couple of hours of the best light I have ever seen on the Cuillin when seen from Sligachan. 

To say I was angry doesn't even begin to describe my mood.  Poor Lara knew enough to just leave me alone for a few hours until I started to calm down a little.  It peed down for the rest of the day.  We returned to Sligachan twice more during that week but I never got anything like the same quality of light again and, strangely, to this day, I still feel my stomach knotting when I think about it.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

6cmsquare

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:10:54 AM »
Thanks Guys,
You all sharing in my misery almost makes the pain tolerable- but the bottle of Mescal in the freezer should finish the job...
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 03:36:02 AM »
I've had my share of film that did not load, or tore and I didn't notice until I'd shot 75 extra frames...but the standout for me is still the time I shot an entire roll of color through the Zorki with a yellow filter on.

Ah, good times!  ;D
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 12:56:02 PM »
I've had my share of film that did not load, or tore and I didn't notice until I'd shot 75 extra frames...but the standout for me is still the time I shot an entire roll of color through the Zorki with a yellow filter on.

Ah, good times!  ;D

I bet the shots still looked good as B&W conversions, though...... 8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
I'm with you all - I have muckled many a mickle in my time.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »
Yep... And we still have a lot of those lovely pictures of Niagara falls in our mind... Dad forgot to put a new roll in the camera and shot all afternoon with it. He kept saying that the camera pas particularly smooth winding but it never occurred to him that the rewind knob wasn't turning...

As for me, its more of bodged processing than anything.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 02:39:25 PM »
it was a good while since last but at my birthday party last month I sure was surprised how long the roll lasted. that first frame on the film ended up being plenty exposed! haha... atleast there's the memories, eh? ;)
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
On my early forays with large format sheet film I'd regularly come back with a handful of double exposures and a few blanks.  I could probably still do that today if I tried.

scapevision

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »
I'm not that old  :D when I briefly had a hassy I ended up loading the film improperly 3 times and all of them shooting as if I had it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:48:18 PM by scapevision »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »
it never occurred to him that the rewind knob wasn't turning...

Every time this happens to me (oh yes, it's happened many times :( for example ... yesterday  :'( ) I keep telling myself to always insure that the rewind knob turns when advancing the film. And sometimes I even remember to check on the next roll! But within a few hours I'm back to never checking the rewind knob  :-\

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
it never occurred to him that the rewind knob wasn't turning...

Every time this happens to me (oh yes, it's happened many times :( for example ... yesterday  :'( ) I keep telling myself to always insure that the rewind knob turns when advancing the film. And sometimes I even remember to check on the next roll! But within a few hours I'm back to never checking the rewind knob  :-\

You guys and your fancy schmancy cameras! My Fed's rewind knob doesn't turn when you wind on. You have to engage the super secret knurled knob switch for teh rewind knob to actually do anything. The location of said switch is top secret and kept in Vladimir Putin's sock drawer next to his KGB "1001 ways to kill capitalists" manual.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
It was a Kodak Retinette 1A... with the bottom crank.
Francois

Terry

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 12:07:29 AM »
I once got a really cool (not) fog effect when I loaded a sheet of 5x7 that had the tissue-paper separator stuck to the emulsion side.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:04 AM »
Sounds like you guys need.....AIR CAMERA! Yes, "Air Camera", brought to you by the same folks who proudly brought you 'Air Guitar'.
No more misloads, no more bad exposures, no more having the wrong film loaded, more than that, the "film" is any ISO you need or want , changing instantly in the camera by mental telepathy.
Want to shoot the decisive moment? Just install the free "HCB" module and your fame is secured.
How about Alfred Eisenstaedt, or Walker Evans, or David Bailey or Jane Brown? Air Camera can do that, and hundreds more.

Now I'm sure you are all wondering about the price for such an amazing camera. Well that's the best part!

Absolutely free!!!
And, anyone can operate Air Camera, and use all its features from day one, no training required!

So don't miss out, order your Air Camera today!
Available now at Mega Air Store

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 02:10:34 AM »
No one's ever going to buy that for free. You should definitely double the price.
Flickr
Blogger

DcAnalogue

• 35mm
  • Just Film Photography
    • My Film Photography Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
No, but I do remember that time when I loaded up my 35mm camera and set out on a voyage of discovery, and discover I did, magical scenes and perfect exposures and never-to-be-repeated "decisive moment" shots, and then intuitively I knew I was nearing the end of the roll (the frame counter helped too ;) ) but the film kept advancing long past the 36th (or 24th) exposure, and fearing the worst (well, not the worst, but a close facsimile of it), I opened the camera and found that the leader never actually engaged the teeth and therefore I had just taken >36 shots on the first (exposed) frame :P

Exactly what happened to me after visiting the (long awaited for...) Neuschwanstein Castle in 1993.... You can guess how I felt....  >:(  :'(
All manual focus cameras
35mm: Nikkormat Ftn - Kiev 4 - Ricoh 500 G - Yahica Electro Gsn
M.F.: Mamiya RB 67 ProS - Rollei 3,5 F Planar - Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16 - Zeiss Ikon ikonta 521/2 (6X9) - Rheinmetall Weltax (6X6) - Agfa Isolette III (Apotar)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
I recently did the double exposure on a 4x5, I realized it right after I took the second shot.  I was more pissed at myself since I was so careful setting up both shots and the one thing I overlook on the second shot was which side of the film holder to use.  I was able to repeat the second shot but the first one, taken the night before, was lost. 

I'm going back to where I lost that entire roll that I posted about earlier, time permitting I may try to repeat a few of the shots.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
I have just pulled a roll of Ektar from the dev tank to realise ive exposed the whole roll twice!

I may get some cool/lomo/arty/expressionist (delete as applicable) shots so im still going to scan it

It also explains how I managed to develop a blank roll of Retro 400s a while ago, the house move last February must have messed up my otherwise good system

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 06:08:15 PM »
It also explains how I managed to develop a blank roll of Retro 400s a while ago, the house move last February must have messed up my otherwise good system

Wow, now that's something I've never done before :D Basically you pulled the roll out of the box and sent it straight to the developing tank?

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 06:21:30 PM »
Wow, now that's something I've never done before :D Basically you pulled the roll out of the box and sent it straight to the developing tank?

Pretty much yes :)

Being on a clear base it comes in all black canisters that I re-use, I must have put the exposed Ektar in the storage box in the fridge and the 400s in the exposed box, I remember the pre-wash came out very black, and other than edge markings it was totally clear, I screwed it up and binned it but sometimes wish id kept it

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »
Last year my car was stolen, and in it was my Exa with a nearly completed roll.
The car was recovered, the Exa was not, and who knows what happened to those pictures.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »
Last year my car was stolen, and in it was my Exa with a nearly completed roll.
The car was recovered, the Exa was not, and who knows what happened to those pictures.
Search "found film" over on APUG and see who is posting pics of your family. ;)

Bad joke... sorry for your misfortune.
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »
That's pretty much why I only leave crap cameras in my car when I'm not there. My logic is that if the camera looks like it's not worth a penny they'll just leave it there even if it works perfectly and has perfect glass. Thieves usually don't take time to analyze things much before they grab something and run.
Francois