Author Topic: Flying with film for the first time in decades...  (Read 3143 times)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Flying with film for the first time in decades...
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »
I used to have a lead lined bag for film. Lord knows where it is or if it did any good. And the last time I flew with film was long before 911 and the tightening of security.

Is it still best to have my film be carry one? Can I get them to hand check it or will they insist on X-ray? I am going from Canada to Dominican Republic :-) I  am taking about 10-15 rolls so it should not be too big of a bag. Any suggestions to get my film there and back un-nuked would be appreciated.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Flying with film for the first time in decades...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »
I would say as long as you carry it in your hand luggage you will be fine.

I use 100 and 400ASA film and travel to Greece at least 3 or 4 times a year. I usually  involves 2 flights each way and I never shoot all the film so much of it makes as many trips as 6 times through the xray. I have never  noticed any issues with film following development. I know that  higher rated films are apparently more prone to damage.

I guess just keep it in your hand luggage!

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:46 AM »
I've flown with film as carry on recently. No big deal.

Ask them for a hand check and they have to comply. They'll swab it, stick it in the little machine and then your on your way.

I would recommend you put your film in clear plastic zipper baggies so that it is easy to remove from your camera bag, and stays all together. You don't want to be fumbling with a bunch of rolls at the security counter.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:20:25 AM by ChristopherCoy »
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:29:40 AM »
As long as it is not faster than 400 you should have no problem. Taken plenty from the U.S. to Paris, London,Iceland and back with no ill effects.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:55:34 AM »
Thanks gang!
---------------

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
 I was told by staff operating the x-ray machines that problems for film started at ISO 1600.. I used to carry all my film within a lead bag but not anymore. Last two years I flew to many places, asia, africa, and never experienced any problem  :)

C.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:46:46 AM by calbisu »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Hand luggage every time.  Last time I went to Italy, baggage checker in Schiphol picked up my ancient Rolleiflex and asked, "And is this a camera too?"

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »
Definitely in the hand luggage. Clear zip bag. 35mm in clear plastic containers. Ask to check it by hand.
It's less hassle this way.

The new x-ray machines are designed to go through lead bags. Might as well avoid all potential problems.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
I've never had a problem with either hand luggage or hold luggage.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
I have given up trying the check by hand route. In recent years I have never had anyone agree - they insist it has to go through the xray and with an endless queue behind you, I comply. As I said though, never any issues so I don't bother asking any more.

Increasingly, I find the issue to be that the staff have no idea what film is. To the point of wanting to unroll it! I alwayws make sure there is no film in the backs because they always want to look in. One thing I have done a lot of late is take the cameras out of the bag and put them in a tray. The last few years I was noticing that they were perplexed by the xray image of my bag and so were continually putting it through the machine twice - I find that taking the cameras out has solved this. Of course, all of this irrational behaviour could just be down to the Greek airports!

Aki

• 35mm
    • A Language All My Own
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »
I push 400ASA BW to 1600 regularly, and I've only had problems with film in checked-in baggage.  When I got home and developed it, the base fog was clearly worse than the ones I kept in carry-on. 

So no more film in check-in baggage ever again, but carry-on will be fine.

I never asked for hand check so I don't know how welcomed it is by the officials.  But like Phil says,  I'd be very hesitant to ask for hand check in busy US airports.   

I started carrying a camera bag with all the film and cameras in them, and that seems to avoid them running it through machine twice also.   May be I just got lucky, but I think I'll stick to it for now.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
They do say that a couple of hours at 35,000 feet gives a much higher dose of radiation than any hand luggage scanning at the airport.  Plus, the modern machines don't need to use the kind of power they did, say, twenty years ago.  I doubt a swab hand check is worth the hassle any more.

Baggage in the hold is a different matter as for one reason or another the radiation dosage is far higher.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
brought 15 packs of fuji 3000b back from san fran to UK and had a hand check with no problem...

but elsewhere when asking for a hand check have always been told 'the xray machines are safe for film'

have also had bags put through 2 or three times as they were unsure what the camera was...

I always put film in carry on, never in hold luggage, so far have had no issues with the film being damaged/fogging... but agree with the above, put it in a clear plastic bag and try and get a hand check...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »
and try and get a hand check...
And if the lady comes over and says "I'm here for the hand check", please don't say "why? my hands are fine" ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

FilmAdvance

• 35mm
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 12:47:41 AM »
This is an interesting problem and depending on where you fly, you get varying responses.  (I wrote a pretty comprehensive article on the subject a while back, which some of you might find of use.  It's in the "How To" section of my web site.)  An important consideration is the that the effects of x-rays on film are cumulative.  One scan is rarely a problem, but it's a rare trip these days that doesn't involve multiple trips through security.  A given roll of film my get scanned a half dozen times on a single trip.

Gary
www.FilmAdvance.com

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 02:19:34 AM »
Unless you have some film that is either high ISO or is going to be pushed, forget it - just put it through the machine. It won't affect it at all. Seriously.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
I flew from DFW International to New Orleans a year ago, and didn't have a problem. I had all of my TriX 400 in a zip lock baggie, and took it out of my bag when I got to security. I handed it to the woman and requested a hand check, and explained that even though it was ISO400, a build up over multiple trips through the X-RAY could affect it. She gave me a bit of a "what the hell is this guy wasting my time for" look, but hey I was just following their rules. If you are persistent and insist they'll do it.

I did the same on the return trip from New Orleans.

Today's machines may not affect film like they used to, but why endanger your film if there is an alternative? I certainly wouldn't cause a scene, but I wouldn't roll over either.
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 06:19:08 PM »
FWIW, I have gone through security at the airport and they offered to hand check my 400 ISO film, claiming my 100 and below should be fine. My 25 ISO could probably go survive a nuclear bomb ;)
---------------