Author Topic: Just sharing the frustration  (Read 3807 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Just sharing the frustration
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:52 PM »
Right.  Here are some things I know:

• I know that warm weather makes my perspiration levels rise.
  • I know that using a dark-bag in warm weather makes for humid conditions not good for film
  • I know that given the above, I ALWAYS need to get the film really cold in the 'fridge first to ensure I dont get sticky film that scratches and gums up the developing reel really easily.
So ... why did I just ignore the above and try to load 2 films - unsuccessfully, probably kinking, scratching, and everything else them so they will be useless.

It's all the more painful given they were a bunch of night shots I took a couple days ago at the beach when we had a really hot evening. I spent hours there in the tropical heat (really) having a great time, and now I've totally messed the film up.

What do you often do that you know you shouldnt? (maybe you shouldnt answer that ...)
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Just sharing the frustration
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »
I often forget to take out the safety scissors when spooling 120.
Then I end up swearing at the whole thing. At the point where I run out of words, I just put the unspooled film in the tank, put on the lid, turn on the light, get the scissors, turn off the light and restart from where I was... annoying. I should just staple them to the wall with a long string!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Leon...

I really don't like those bags... I wait untill it gets dark to close myself in the bathroom with everything shut.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:38:16 PM by sapata »

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
I live in a very dry climate so even in extreme heat, humidity isnt a problem for me, and so far, I havent changed any film during a monsoon, the only time it ever gets muggy here, so yeah, I havent experienced that problem yet, and now that I know about it, I might not ever experience it.

What I always do with my cameras is forget to check ASA setting and meter reading in the camera before taking all my shots. I do this all the time and lose many shots because of it. I never learn. I do this with every single camera I own and I have come to conclusion that I will never stop doing ti.  >:( >:( >:(
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
I know as far as humidity, it's pretty much under control in the house since we have central AC. In the basement, the darkroom is bone chilling all summer long... I often have to work in there with a fleece shirt in the middle of July!
Francois

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
From very recent experience (today!).
Took a day off work because I fancied some 'film time', drove to the coast, walked a way and found the first photo opportunity. Out with the camera, on to the tripod, frame, focus then reach for the lightmeter - reading - BAT! No problem, brought a second body for colour. Nothing! battery dead in that too! Tried that thing where you scratch the battery ends on a stone out of desperation and got a little response. Sunny 16 it is then!
I wanted to do some infra-red too so as exposure's a bit of a hit and miss approach the lightmeter 'issue' wasn't so bad. So you know the routine, frame, focus, put the filter on and expose a couple of shots. Move on to the next spot, remove filter, frame, focus, put the filter back on and expose. It's a simple enough concept, so why do I keep forgetting to put the filter back on!!
And the advantage of film is that when I get round to developing the film and cutting into strips of 6 I'll have a picture at each end of the strip and four blanks in the middle to remind me how good I am!  :-[

chris_n

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
i frequently go through all the work of manually metering a shot and then forgetting to transfer the metered settings to my actual camera.

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:29:22 PM »
I'm with Mojave on the humidity issue...there is none here....only static because it is so dry.
I worry about it (static) affecting the film, although I've never had a problem with it, it still crosses my mind when I spool or un-spool film.

My greatest error is probably not changing the ASA on a camera until a couple of frames into the roll.  So far the sacrifice hasn't been great, but one day I'll get bit in the butt for my lazy ways.

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
I too have massive changing bag issues with 120 film. It takes me several trys every single time. Often to disasterous kinked and bent results. Every try i get a little hotrer in the bag and the film gets mushier and tougher to load.

Good idea fridging the film first, i'll try that one for sure next time.

Ive nearly given up on 120 at home. Its not worth the frustration to me and the risk of trashing my shots.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56:22 PM »
Well... for one I never liked those changing bags, especially the flat ones. You're always worrying about cutting the inside cotton bag... and my last one literally disintegrated while I was using it!
It had a rubber coating on the nylon outer shell that turned into dust as I was moving around. Guess where the sticky rubbery dust ended-up?
Francois

Nick Moys

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:03:22 AM »
Glad I'm not alone in having the odd sticky finger moment in the changing bag.  Film in the fridge sounds like a good tip - will try next time.  I guess the film changing tents would be less clammy (at a price) - any positive experiences?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Not as bad as I thought ....
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
All was not lost.  A few negs were unscathed.

:)
L.

Terry

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »
I bought a changing tent ('Changing Room' made by Photoflex, couldn't afford one of the Harrison ones) to load my 500-foot mags, and now I use it for everything--motion and still.  It's nice and roomy in there!

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:56 AM »
Leon, those shots were well worth the frustration! Just gorgeous!!!

And Terry, I've been very tempted to get one of those tents. Its a real pain trying to load the Combi tank in the bag, though I admit that I havent shot regular film in the LF for a long time now. I shoot pretty much instant film since I got the camera and took a few regular film pix.
mojave

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 01:36:27 AM »
Ha! Good Leon! Well I suspected not everything would be lost as I have found it's really difficult to damage your negatives. I and I speak first hand experience. Every time I roll my 120 film into the paterson plastic reel is just a... a thrilling experience. Bending, riping, loosing, falling to the ground, sweating in that little dark closet as if I would be enclosed in a tiny punishment cell. But amazingly every time the film is able to survive. Still is quite a stressing activity. Before I go to the closet I look at Elena and say to here: I am going there, and Elena replies, Good Luck!

Which drives to an issue I whas thinking lately. Do we take photography too seriously? What are the symptoms? You are at bed trying to sleep, you think about pictures you took that day and start wondering if the speed and aperture was the right one. Or may be that you lost that precious moment when the man was looking at you, but you hesitated.. Or when you are looking at your developing tank crossing your fingers and assuring yourself that light was indeed not so poor when you took that shot, or you were pretty sure you were able to focus rightly in that damn matte screen. And I do not want to start speaking about our skills as photographers and what we ourselves think about them... or our shooting styles, or the camera we N-E-E-D in order to shoot better!!! >:( Just some thoughts  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:43:43 AM by calbisu »

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 02:42:29 AM »
You make a good point Carlos. It is pretty frustrating thinking about all the shoulda, woulda, couldas in photography. Shoulda brought that other film! Woulda caught that decisive moment had I just been paying attention! Coulda have shot my best shot ever if I just had the right camera! Yeah, pretty frustrating and something I do all the time and lose sleep over.
mojave

chris_n

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »
anyone employ the use of rubber gloves?  yay or nay?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »
anyone employ the use of rubber gloves?  yay or nay?

only using sheet film.  I find I need the finer control of bare hands with rolling dev reels.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
"Do we take photography too seriously?"

I can only speak for myself and, for me, the answer is a resounding "yes".

It's almost certainly down to the individual but I'm one of those people who is pretty "full-on" when I'm into something. I find it extremely difficult to do anything by halves. Am I an obsessive? Probably. I can usually picture in my mind's eye what I want the end result to look like and any frustration I have is born of situations where I fail to deliver on what I set out to achieve.

Truly wasting film is anathema to me - and probably to most of us. Probably why we feel Leon's pain on this one....

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Other than leaving the darkslide in to reveal '      ' things normally go as plan but the I have no anxiety over photography...

"Do we take photography too seriously?"

Well I sure don't think about it much as for moi it's a release valve and more often than not I'm the client. Working in a corporate environment is enough stress on my part...

Most of the images I take are imagined and somewhat experimental (being a blurist as Leon once stated) so I have no preconceived bar to reach other than do I 'dig it'.

Though I will beat myself up for not taking the ideal line on the KTM SuperDuke.. (What a motorcycle) Sorry off topic... ::)

Oh, lovely shots by the way... Getting more 'blurist' are we...  ;)

Rgds

Mlr
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:09:55 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
My biggest frustration which happens often and did the other night, when taking a picture of the lovely pink strewn sky over a bowling green out the back of a local pub, with my rb67 and polaroid back. Metered and composed the shot carefully but quickly as the light was going. Take it. Pull the pola out, wait patiently (sure that it will be a wonderful shot) peel it and.... Nothing, left the bloody darkslide in. Doesn't happen on my film back as the mechanism in the camera doesn't allow the shutter button to be depressed while the darkslide is in properly.

As for taking photography too seriously. WeLl I have a quality of shot that I strive for and am constantly trying to improve but I think if I took photography too seriously I would have some published work and some cash to show for it!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »
Nicely done Leon - even if they are slightly out of focus  ;)

I always hair-dry my reels before putting film on them. I think the grooves in the reel all lay the same direction that way - oh, and the film doesn't stick.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
Lovely shots Leon, are they the only two that could be saved?

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
scratching my leg. doing it now actually. aah, pain and pleasure........ oh, you meant photo related? haha, sorry ;D ...now where's that salve again?

hm.. ok, I often try to cut up my negs and carry them home in a magazine when they haven't completely dried yet. resulting to having to wet them in the sink and try to get that ripped paper off. good times! :D

and to answer that question; no, I don't take photography seriously at all! just loving the craft of it~ as soon as I expect a certain result I easily get frustrated. so I prefer to keep it on a low level. just fun :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:31:00 PM by jojonas »
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
I don't think I'm obsessive when it comes to photography... or at least not in the same way I used to be.
Before, I was all about surgical precision in everything. Now, I tend to be happy with "good enough". It ain't always obvious to do the switch from one to the next. Strangely, this change came about about 6 years ago when I discovered plastic cameras and joined Filmwasters :)
Really a change for the better!

Now, I like to say I'm passionate... it feels more normal :)
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »
oh, just came to think of an old quote that I like "the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted" -jl

could that be translated to: "the film you enjoy wasting is not wasted"? could be my new motto ;D
/jonas

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »
goodness! I have all these issues and more..prolly my worst problem is going into my darkroom( make shift bathroom) getting everything set up to develope paper and realize I left my timer out..so all paper back into my cameras and start over..if I had a nickel for everytime, I could purchase some of that expensive instant film!!

chris_n

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
My biggest frustration which happens often and did the other night, when taking a picture of the lovely pink strewn sky over a bowling green out the back of a local pub, with my rb67 and polaroid back. Metered and composed the shot carefully but quickly as the light was going. Take it. Pull the pola out, wait patiently (sure that it will be a wonderful shot) peel it and.... Nothing, left the bloody darkslide in. Doesn't happen on my film back as the mechanism in the camera doesn't allow the shutter button to be depressed while the darkslide is in properly.

As for taking photography too seriously. WeLl I have a quality of shot that I strive for and am constantly trying to improve but I think if I took photography too seriously I would have some published work and some cash to show for it!

i have so many black polaroids because of this! :P