Author Topic: The Rapture: Today at 6pm BST  (Read 4336 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
The Rapture: Today at 6pm BST
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:44:37 AM »
Anyone got any plans for the forthcoming apocolypse?

I thought I'd get the horseman (!) loaded up with HP5+ and go Weegee style, but I'm not sure when I'll get to develop the film though.
L.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Re: The Rapture: Today at 6pm BST
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
I was thinking Polaroid would be the way to go though not sure what tempertures I'll need to adjust for (hot or cold.)

Terry

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
And of course it'll be five hours later in NYC

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
And of course it'll be five hours later in NYC

Unless we're getting the Rapture from the BBC; then it'll be here at least 7 years from now. They're only now beaming us EastEnders episodes from December 2003.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
Well, as my usual skeptic, I can't wait for it.
I for one will be out looking for some sign of things to come. And probably will be disappointed.
I'm probably the first one who would like to see something awesome happen... but I know I'll be coming back to my basement office, put on Randy's Vinyl Tap and read a book :)

But just in case, I have a roll of film ready to load... my last roll of expired processing included film. 800 ISO dropped to 640 might be a bit fast... I'll get my ND filter in the bag just in case ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:38:42 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
Wow.  Eastenders and rapture in the same sentence--for some reason it calls to mind a sheftali kebab...

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »

Unless we're getting the Rapture from the BBC; then it'll be here at least 7 years from now. They're only now beaming us EastEnders episodes from December 2003.

does it come via the beeb then? You mean my tv licence fee is funding Armageddon? I'll have to write to my mp about that!

L.

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »
I presume the weekend thread will be ending early this week.
No more submissions from anybody from continental europe to the pacific then. I suppose they are a little pre-occupied at the moment what with the eternal fires of damnation and everything.

Now which of my cameras is fireproof?

astrobeck

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
I started an all day pinhole of "the day of rapture"

then later am going out to have a "last supper" of sorts at a local eatery with some friends.

I'll have pix to share tomorrow, provided that the Sun comes up and all...... 

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
Can anybody smell burning or is it just me?

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
arrgh....my sausage rolls.
I knew I should have set the timer

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
Sadly, that also means Photographica probably won't take place tomorrow ;)

Maybe I should invite all my family for dinner tomorrow... they'll never be able to say I never invited them and I'm going to save myself the trouble of preparing anything  ;D
Francois

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »

does it come via the beeb then? You mean my tv licence fee is funding Armageddon? I'll have to write to my mp about that!

LOL, no we pay for individual programs. It actually costs me more to watch just EastEnders than it would cost me for the BBC license fee (to watch everything the BBC produces) in the UK.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
LOL, no we pay for individual programs. It actually costs me more to watch just EastEnders than it would cost me for the BBC license fee (to watch everything the BBC produces) in the UK.

the mad thing is we have to pay the licence fee even if we only want to watch commercial tv. No choice.  Have a tv? you must pay the fee. It's a whacking £1k fine if you dont have it.
L.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
Just a quickie rapture, I think...
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »
This is François reporting live!
It is now past 6pm and I gladly report that the sun hasn't gone supernova, there hasn't been an asteroid collision worth noting, the sky hasn't turned black, frogs are not falling from the sky, no horseman of doom has been seen roaming the streets spreading plague and disease, the sun is still bright, the weather is still a balmy 29°C and my spring allergies are still as bad as ever. I am sorry to say that I haven't shot any picture worth noting... Now back to you :)
Francois

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »
No rapture here.  ::)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »

the mad thing is we have to pay the licence fee even if we only want to watch commercial tv. No choice.  Have a tv? you must pay the fee. It's a whacking £1k fine if you dont have it.

There are many of us over here who have thought the BBC's business model is mad for a long time. While they license a few shows individually, they won't allow Americans to buy in - like with a pay-per-view channel. We keep seeing reports about how the BBC is short on money and cutting salaries, etc, but there are probably millions of people here who would buy in if given the opportunity - which would take some burden off license payers in the UK. There is a long-standing audience for British TV shows here, and they have ignored it.

There rumor is, now, that they will start allowing Americans to buy into their iPlayer by the end of the year, but they are limiting the audience by doing it as an exclusive for iPad. That's some progress, but it's still limiting both the people who can use it and the amount of money they could take it. For years, people have been telling them that if they had a premium channel here (like HBO), it would be a huge success, and make them a ton of money. I have no idea why they don't do it as all the content is already created, all they have to do is broadcast it. They're nuts.

And speaking of nuts - sadder ones - and back to the apocalypse: There was a story on the news last night about a follower of that preacher who started this rapture thing, a 60 year old retired MTA worker, who spent most of his retirement savings ($140K) buying posters for the subways and brochures to have out in Times Square, warning people to get ready for the rapture. He was standing there in Times Square at 6PM, all forlorn when it didn't happen.

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »
I was thinking Polaroid would be the way to go though not sure what tempertures I'll need to adjust for (hot or cold.)

Epic win for the Robert Frost reference! You have poetry street cred gothamtomato  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:40:57 PM by Francois »
Francois

Terry

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »
Now THAT'S rapture!  What a bizarre and interesting piece that is--there's so much going on and yet it actually looks really cheap.  Thanks for that, Francois, it made my day.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
Hilarious thread!!! I had to work on rapture day.  ::) ;D
mojave

astrobeck

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »
Here's the result of an all day pinhole image of the day of "rapture".
This is facing west in my yard toward the observatory...
paper negative in homemade pincam.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
Glorious photo, Becky! An apt way to sign off a thread about this nonsense.
 ;)

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
apparently there was a slight misjudgment.... it is still happening but in october

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
I just can't wait  ::)
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 01:28:28 AM »
Enjoy :)
Blondie - Rapture

Ha!!
Just saw Blondie on Jools Holand... she dind't mentioned anything about it though.