Author Topic: UK recommendations for OM1 CLA?  (Read 1182 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
UK recommendations for OM1 CLA?
« on: May 09, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
Last Friday I went out with my Olympus OM1, some rolls of cheap colour film (Fujicolor 200, £1.50 a roll from Firstcall), and 28, 50 and 135mm lenses.
First weird problem I had was sometimes the mirror didn't go back down after taking a shot until I wound on. This happened a few times if I wound on immediately after taking a shot, but if I didn't wind on until just before taking the shot, it never happened. Could be just as I'd not used it for a while and something was a bit sticky?
Then in the last photos before I called it a day, I got what looks like a light leak. In inspection, the back seals look pretty gone.

While the light seals are probably something I can sort myself, that sticky mirror might suggest a CLA is required.

Any one had an Olympus serviced in the UK and can recommend anywhere?

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
Re: UK recommendations for OM1 CLA?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »
Miles Whitehead effected a repair of my OM4 a couple of years ago.
Seemed a good job for a fair price as far as I can recall.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
Sometimes it's the foam damper for the mirror that gets sticky as it degrades, that can cause the mirror to stick in the up position.  If you buy a foam seal kit specifically for that camera it usually comes with the foam for the mirror damper.  It's not hard to replace.  The foam for the door seal is what usually cause light leaks so make sure you get proper coverage in that area. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »
The mirror return is triggered by the second curtain completing its travel so the problem could be the second curtain. Does sound like something getting stuck and cocking the camera early, so the shutter and mirror mechanism are under tension for a time, could be allowing whatever it is to stick.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 09:31:08 PM »
Could very well be what Peter said.
Does this one have a vertical metal or horizontal cloth shutter?
If it's the horizontal one, there could very well be something that fell in the tracks or the oil has turned to gunk...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
It's horizontal cloth shutter, could be gunky, could be that I'd not used it for a few years and after I'd run a film through it it loosened up again, as I've not been able to reproduce that.

Probably worth the CLA to degunk it anyway, it's really a nice camera that I want to use more often!