Author Topic: Meeting in Kent and meet Diane - Friday 27th April  (Read 1021 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Meeting in Kent and meet Diane - Friday 27th April
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:54 PM »
Hi all, Diane posted about this before and some people showed some interest.

Diane is staying in Canterbury somewhere we thought we'd go somewhere coastal, maybe Whitstable, maybe Margate/Broadstairs. The agenda is basically shoot a bit, eat chips, shoot a bit more, eat an ice cream, wash and repeat!  8)

Let me know if you're interested and we can arrange where to meet.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
Re: Meeting in Kent and meet Diane - Friday 27th April
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
Would be nice to meet some fellow 'wasters.
I'll try to leave work early and catch up with you sometime during the afternoon.

Anywhere along that stretch of coast between Faversham and Ramsgate is good for me, just let me know when you've got a vague plan..!

Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
I have work overnight on Thursday so have Friday free. Just let me know what the arrangements are and I'll see you there.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:05:46 PM »
Hi Irv, I’m pleased you can make it.

I’m afraid there isn’t a plan as yet! Diane and her daughter are staying at a hotel in the middle of Canterbury. I’m happy to go and pick them up. The problem is the weather forecast is a bit crappy at the moment.

I originally thought to go somewhere like Whitstable and then maybe on to Margate to look at the Turner Gallery? But if the weather’s not great... I think Tony’s more local than me and so probably knows the area better. I’ve got your mobile number, unless it’s changed, so I’ll text you my number and we can arrange where to meet.

Tony - if you have some good suggestions of where to go please jump in.

See you Friday! If anyone fancies coming please do.  8)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:00:26 PM »
OK, not so much suggestions, but info for your considerations on the joys of the area... Obviously things are very weather dependent, the most recent forecast I've seen said sun and showers, which is April in a nutshell! 

Moving west to east along the coast, it's possible to tour the whole coast in a day if you keep moving, but as once was said; "what is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare"... 

Just to the west of Faversham is Harty Ferry... old wooden jetty posts disappear into the water and the wreck of an old barge half submerged in the mud... low tide on Friday is around 6.40pm.

Faversham itself has the Shepherd Neame Brewery (I think tours need to be booked in advance, but some of the buildings might be quite photogenic), and the creek, where you may see a Thames Barge or two.

Whitstable has a bit of a bohemian atmosphere. A small working harbour which includes the "arty" harbour village. Lots of seafood available, including the famous "Whitstable Native" oyster. A busy foreshore by the sailing club and oyster trestles visible at low tide.

Herne Bay has a Victorian style promenade, pier, and colourful beachhuts. the sea front from Hampton to Reculver is around 4 1/2 miles and is part of the Saxon Shoreway (made famous by Fay Godwin). Disclaimer - I've lived here for years, so all I see is beige...

Margate. Home of the Turner Contemporary Gallery, which is the obvious destination for "culture vultures" and rain dodgers. Current main show is something to do with TS Eliot's "The Wasteland", which I've not yet seen so can't offer any comment. The Gormly work is still there, and low tide is around 5.20pm, so he should be visible by about "half-tide" (2.30ish). Margate old town is pleasant enough, and there's "Dreamland" for fans of vintage and retro fairground type stuff (entrance fee applies).
Lots of bays either side of Margate's main sands... To the east of the town, Botany Bay and Kingsgate Bay are the pick of the bunch (in my opinion), with chalk cliffs, caves, arches, platforms and stacks.

Broadstairs is a compact resort town with a strong connection to Dickens (Bleak House). Hosts a brilliant Blues Festival in February, so you should have been here then..!

Ramsgate has a good sized harbour / marina which can be quite visually entertaining, if a little busy. Not much to be said for the town, but there are tours of wartime tunnel shelters as a dry option if required (again, not experienced personally, so cannot offer a critique).

If you fancy something more inland, you'll mostly see farmland, but there's a number of little villages south of Canterbury that are pleasant. Chilham is one that springs to mind. All half timbers and quaint.
Not quite the Grand Canyon, but the Wye and Crundale Downs is quietly spectacular... Glacial valley in chalk downland, good for orchid spotting.

So... no single location that'll blow yer socks off, but a range of options to consider.
Hope something here is of use.

Nigel, I'll PM you my mobile number. I hope to be able to get out of work sometime between 2.00 and 3.00, so if you could update me on movements I'll try to track you down.

Merveille de Bollwiller.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »
I'm afraid I have to bow out. I have booked the wrong day off work. I feel properly stupid.

Have a great time, everyone.  :)

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
Just to say, the weather was grotty, but it was a pleasure to meet up with and chat to Diane, Irv and Nigel at the Turner last Friday. It was all to brief due to my having to work most of the day, but a pleasure nonetheless.
Hope to bump into you all again sometime.
Merveille de Bollwiller.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
Was so very nice to see Nigel again, and adding Tony and Irv was wonderful. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy lives to meet up with us. We loved  the gallery and ‘the man in the water’...the shells we picked up proved to be quite interesting!😊