Author Topic: Weekend 6th April  (Read 1959 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Weekend 6th April
« on: April 06, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
Down to me to start again then...

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Aksel

• Sheet Film
Re: Weekend 6th April
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:54 AM »
That´s one vert good snap there PeterR. Love it!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
Mamiya ZM, Agfa Vista 200 ("Poundland") film, Tamron Adaptall 28-50mm zoom.

Feeling blue
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:20:58 PM »
PeterR
That's a great double portrait. It took me a second to spot you, but now the more I look at it, the more I appreciate the composition, the dried flowers dividing you and the sitter, the shallow depth of field etc. Great start to the weekend.

Kevin: some really nice colours from the Poundland film.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
Two more Superia Meniscus from the other week in Pontypridd.

180324_sup_28 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

180324_sup_22 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
Great start! Peter that photograph is wonderful.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
Very good start to the weekend! Peter, lovely shot. I love the toning of it too, it's like a sepia-ish? look (at least on my screen), very nice!

Kevin and Sandeha, lovely colors! Unfortunately, my success with Superia has been limited in terms of the vivid colors other people get. I have had more success with Kodak Gold, plus it has a bit of warmth that I like in my pictures.

This one was taken with Fuji Acros 100 + cheap yellow filter, and developed in Rodinal 1:25. I invited a friend out to lunch and asked her if I could take some pictures of her (to test the roll/filter/developer, etc) and she agreed. A very impromptu shoot in which, unfortunately, I was like 4 old-fashioned in already and did not pay particular attention at the light, but whatever.

Marin Post 2
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

Das Man
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr
This is Satish, who came to visit me last weekend with the intention of going to Philly and shoot (with our cameras) a model friend of mine, who ended up bailing out at last minute due to alcohol poisoning (like that's a thing, ha), and we ended up going to a cute little town called New Hope, right along the Delaware River. Shot on Tmax 100, red filter, stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for an hour. I still don't get used to adding 3ml of developer to develop film  ;D

Take care!
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
Great start for this weekend, Peter, I particularly like the candidness of the shot. Very well executed. Satish, how will you ever lose your title of "most portrayed Filmwaster"? :)

Here're my contributions. Both shot with Zenza Bronica SQ-A, the first one with the Zenzanon 80mm f/2.8 and the second one with the Zenzanon 50mm f/3.5. Shot on Fomapan 100, developed in Caffenol.

Path by C S

Martinikirche by C S

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »
Nice mix of photos this week. The kids were home for Easter week, so I had some of my favorite subjects to work with.

Leica M6, Summicron 50/2, TMAX 100

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 02:21:29 PM »
Nice start, folks. The composition of that opening shot is really well done, Peter, and the tight crop is really effective.

Leonore and I went down to Asheville, NC for a few days. Just starting to work through the B&W (have to send the color out these days), but here's a couple from that trip. Depending on what the final tally looks like I or we may do a photo essay eventually.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments on my opening shot all. I was trying to not to get myself in the picture but I couldn't get Mrs R where I wanted her without being in it myself. And, of course, I didn't want her to know I was taking it so couldn't ask her to move. So it is what it is.

There's a less tightly cropped version on my Tumblr.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »
Peter R, what a strong start!
Wow!
Love the composition.
Really like Earl Jams shot of the family moment...that's a keeper!

Mine's from a goofing off trip to the bosque with the Zenit E and a Helios 44m-4 held up to some clunky binos I found for 5 dollars.
I liked that all the stick ups on the old snag of a tree had a bird on each perching spot, and that the larger bird was perched highest...the order of nature never bores.
Dunked in Caffenol and Delta 100

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how to get closer focus with my Crown Graphic for a while now, this guy figured it out for me:

http://blog.markus-hofstaetter.at/2018/03/i-used-two-cameras-for-this-macro-shot/

I took the back off my Rex laboratories camera and took the lens off the Crown Graphic and stuck them end to end. I wrapped the connection in dark cloth to eliminate light leaks.

Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7 lens in a Graphex shutter.  This was about a 6 second exposure at f/32.  The film is Ilford Delta 100 developed in Beer
Threaded Needle by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Roddenstock Munchen Doppel Anastigmat Eurynar 24cm f/6.8 with a Packard Ideal No. 6 Shutter.  This was about a 6 second exposure at f/50.  The film is Kodak Super-XX that expired September 1980 developed in Beer.
Little Flowers by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 04:54:42 PM »
some prints I've been holding off on posting.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
My last roll of Acros 100 in 120 format. I do not plan to buy any more, Fomapan and Tmax will do nicely for me.

Pentacon Six / MC Vega 28b 120mm f2.8 / Fuji Acros 100 @400 in Rodinal 1:25
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:29 PM »
What a great weekend! Love the variety. Here is a tintype I made with the Rockland Tintype Parlor kit. Shot at iso 0.5 in the Speed Graphic with the Optar 203/7.7 lens. I think I under developed (hence weird colors) and the emulsion peeled around the edges a bit, but for my third try at dry plate, I'm not overly unsatisfied. :)

SpeedGraphic-RocklandTintype-001 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 02:11:25 AM »
My last roll of Acros 100 in 120 format. I do not plan to buy any more, Fomapan and Tmax will do nicely for me.

but that reciprocity!!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 05:28:30 AM »
What a great weekend! Love the variety. Here is a tintype I made with the Rockland Tintype Parlor kit. Shot at iso 0.5 in the Speed Graphic with the Optar 203/7.7 lens. I think I under developed (hence weird colors) and the emulsion peeled around the edges a bit, but for my third try at dry plate, I'm not overly unsatisfied. :)

That’s an interesting kit James, I was just looking at the instructions on the Freestyle web site.  Are there any toxic fumes involved in the process like doing tintypes from scratch?  It kind of looks like a badly faded color print. 

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 06:34:59 AM »
but that reciprocity!!
That's something where Fomapan (my favourite film) doesn't do that well. I'm going to try shooting a few shots with an ND1000 today to see how it does.

I think I under developed (hence weird colors) and the emulsion peeled around the edges a bit, but for my third try at dry plate, I'm not overly unsatisfied. :)
I quite like the result. The look is interesting. I hope that you'll keep trying this technique and sharing you results.

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
I had never used Kodak Portra, so I bought a roll of Portra 400 in 120 size and ran it through my Centro Graphic 23 outfitted with a 150mm G-Claron lens, over exposing it because I read that it was a good thing to do.  I like the surreal look of the colors. 

These flowers were given to me after participating in a concert recently.

As Flors do Concerto da Primavera by William Blackstone, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »
William, the look of the flowers is very graphic, almost painted. It looks very nice.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 11:56:34 PM »
I LOVE that tintype, James! Makes me want to try it! :D And of course, thanks to Miguel my status as most photographed Filmwaster is becoming more and more solidified ;D

I had a very annoying result with my latest round of C41. First of all, the 8 rolls of Ektachrome EPY100 I ebay'd recently turned out to be pretty fogged (based on the one roll that I shot). Not nearly as bad as the 100 rolls of desert film I ebay'd last year, but still fogged enough that it came out almost monochrome on development (purple/white). However, I was developing a roll of Sensia along with it that I know I've had good results with (from that batch) in the past, and a few of those shots (though not all of them) came out similarly, so I'm wondering if it was something in the development. The negatives looked quite different though, the Ektachrome was obviously fogged and the Sensia looked pretty normal. Anyways, here's one of the "bad" Sensia shots, which I think looks good nonetheless.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 08:50:52 AM »

but that reciprocity!!

Reciprocity failure can be compensated for, but for those who love Acros there is no compensation once it's gone. For orthopanchromatic films there is a very good alternative in the Adox CHS 100 II, I should have added that to my list. You can get in 135, 120 and sheet film. I have long wanted to try out orthocromatic films after seeing what Jakob Aue Sobol does with it. But it only comes in painfully slow speeds!
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 09:06:06 AM »
Very good start to the weekend! Peter, lovely shot. I love the toning of it too, it's like a sepia-ish? look (at least on my screen), very nice!

Kevin and Sandeha, lovely colors! Unfortunately, my success with Superia has been limited in terms of the vivid colors other people get. I have had more success with Kodak Gold, plus it has a bit of warmth that I like in my pictures.

If it's not down to the developing shop, I'd assume that the difference between Gold and Superia must be a matter of taste.  I have invariably used Fuji films for colour and when I have picked up a roll of Gold I've always been disappointed by how it handles foliage!

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 04:58:58 PM »
was having a tantrum, so told her to get rid the weeds around the farm house as a joke :D she started crying a bit more! testing plastic debonair camera in Guangdong, China with ilfordhp5
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter