Author Topic: New Mexico Film Photographers  (Read 1021 times)

mikec

• Photography and Vintage Film Cameras
New Mexico Film Photographers
« on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:16 PM »

Parade by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

I volunteered recently to be a co-admin for the Flickr New Mexico Film Photographers group.  There was some excellent work posted in the group in the past and it seems worthwhile to get it going again.  Film photographers visiting the state have always been encouraged to share their pictures and contribute to the discussions.  However, resident film shooters are an important resource to the undertaking and Flickr's search features aren't very helpful in finding them.  So I am hopeful of getting some help in spreading the word about the group's availability.  I personally know of only five film shooters in New Mexico, four in Albuquerque and one in Santa Fe.  I don't really have any idea how many more film wasters there might be around the state.  If nothing else it will be an interesting experiment to try to find out if there is any substance to the idea that there is a revival of interest in film photography under way.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: New Mexico Film Photographers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »
This is great news!
I'll see if I can remember my flikr password and contribute from time to time.
Would be nice to meet others in our area, and do some photo walking.

mikec

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »
Thanks, Becky.  It would be great to see some of your work on display in the group.  Doesn't have to be anything new.  Not surprisingly, most of the New Mexico film wasters who posted work on Flickr in the past seem to have moved on to digital or moved out of state.  I've contacted some people recently through local galleries, but no real luck so far with responses.  I am thinking about the possibility of some film workshops, but that would require some good preparation in regard to venue, publicity and participation.

mikec

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 04:37:30 AM »
April Albuquerque Meet-Up

New Mexico Film Photographers are invited to share coffee and talk about any aspect of film photography.

When:  Saturday, April 7, 9:30 AM
Where: Velvet Coffeehouse in Old Town Albuquerque
Who:     Veteran film users and anyone looking to get started in film photography.
I'll buy coffee for the first five people to show up. I'll also root around in my collection to see if can come up with a classic camera to put in a free drawing.

Sponsored by the New Mexico Film Photographers Flickr Group

UK Roger

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »
Did you get a good turnout at the Velvet Coffeehouse meet Mike?

mikec

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
Yes, it was fun.  Eight of us showed up, which stretched the capacity of the coffeehouse a bit, but we were able to pull together some tables and chairs in the outdoor patio.  We talked for an hour-and-a-half and it seemed everyone was looking forward to another meet-up.  The next is scheduled for May 5th down by the Rio Grande at the Tingley Beach Cafe.  I took on the administration of the New Mexico Film Photographers group on Flickr with the idea that it could provide an on line point of contact for the group.  I've also posted notices about the upcoming meeting around the UNM campus.

johnha

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 01:17:48 AM »
Having looked at the groups photos, I'm really envious - such a diverse range of landscapes, architecture, characters & culture makes my UK 'urban' locality seem very mundane by comparison. I need to try harder, but the only theme running though my locality seems to be closing down or empty shops and countless new coffee shops. I'm about an hour from the Lake District but can't seem to get creative when I'm there (green hilly landscapes don't appear to be my thing).

mikec

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
I don't do well with landscapes either, but there's no question that New Mexico has inspired a lot of photographers.  Still too early to tell if a film-centric meet-up group or the Flickr group will achieve critical mass at this point.  The Flickr group was started nine years ago when quite a few people were still clinging to their film experience, and there was a lot of really outstanding work shared there.  Since then, most seem to have moved on to digital or moved out of state.

It is quite a challenge to locate the remaining film users in a big state with a small population.  They are a quirky, independent bunch and everyone has different on line hangouts.  I am encouraged by the fact that I have had a number of confirmations of attendance for our second meeting next Saturday.  It is an advantage to be attempting this project in Albuquerque which is in the middle of the state.  About a third of the state's population lives in the county surrounding the city, and I would guess about half the state's people are within an hour's drive.