Author Topic: I need a new tripod...  (Read 1547 times)

chris667

• Peel Apart
I need a new tripod...
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
.... or a better way of carrying one.

I have some photographs to take that so far only exist in my head. To take them, I'll need to hike about five miles with a tripod.

I have a Slik which I have had for years and years. Very dependable. But very heavy!

Are any of the modern lightweight tripods any good? I need them to be an adequate support for my Spotmatic; it occurs to me that it is quite a bit heavier than a modern DSLR.

Failing that, how do any of the more intrepid filmwasters carry a tripod when they go out? I'd love to see your solutions.

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
Re: I need a new tripod...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:46:22 PM »
This thread may get moved to the Resources Board but, in the meantime, let me suggest the MeFoto Globetrotter series.  The aluminum ones are less expensive than the carbon fiber ones and the lighter weight aluminum ones are, for me, perfectly suited to long walks with cameras up to but probably not including 4x5 size.  There are different sizes (and weights). I have the A2350 and the next size lighter.  Both serve well, even for long lenses on 35mm SLRs and my Century Graphic 23.  The tripods all come with a good ball head that uses Arca Swiss style plates.  (I suggest buying cheap copies of these.  The Arca Swiss branded ones are ridiculously expensive.)  They all come with an excellent carry case with a strong strap as well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:54:32 PM by Blaxton »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:17:57 PM »
One of the members on the Large Format forum uses a biathlon (gun) sling for his tripod carry. Might be a good solution for your Slik, if tripod use is infrequent. See http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?144727-Evolving-setup-for-short-hikes&highlight=tripod.

For the rare times when I take a medium format camera along for a hike, I carry the camera and lenses in a photo backpack and strap the tripod to the back.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »
I have two Manfrotto 190CLB and quite like them. They are not much heavier than their carbon fiber counterparts and plenty solid.
To carry them, I used a bunch of solutions from the weird to the simple.
So far, I tried a Yoga mat carrying strap. Apart from the fact that the strap is quite narrow, it holds very well.
I also used a gym bag strap with some handmade ties (think boot laces).
I also use a velcro tie to keep the legs from opening when I store them on ceiling hooks.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:51:30 AM »
Fortunately my camera bag carries my tripod. I just ask her for it and she hands it to me.
Sorry, couldn’t resist plus she’s never reads my posts, too boring she says.
As to tripod I’ve got a little Slik Sbh 150 DQ that is light and cheap and seems ok for about 5 lbs as long as there isn’t too much leverage on it. (Like long lenses)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:06:05 AM »
If you end up with something light, make sure it has a hook or find a solution to weigh it down during use - I used to bring a tote bag that I filled with whatever I could find to make it stable, it was really essential in windy conditions.
After a while I endet up with the Berlebach reporter and a big slik head. Not lightweight but very robust, a joy to handle - also in cold weather and it's rather comfy to occasionally carry on the shoulder  :)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
Consider a ball head instead of a full head. Lighter and no sticky out bits to get in the way when carrying. I use the one that's on this tripod (I can't find the head on it's own at present). Not expensive but very good.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
Boy this looks an awful lot like a Manfrotto!
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
I use a monopod for SLR support which ties to my photo backpack. It will easily support your Spotmatic. It can also double as a walking aid for very steep hills (I avoid mountains) to reduce knee strain or help get a foot grip. I don't use a head on the monopod - just tilt it as required.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »
Ah, way ahead of you with the monopod! I have one I made from a piece of chestnut. Love it.

It's a very human thing to walk with a stick.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »
I have a Manfrotto 3-way head (MH804-3WUS) on Benro legs (TAD28A). I really like this combo. I had Manfrotto legs but it fell apart -- cheap expansion bolt used for keeping the base for the head attached to the legs, which failed with my 4x5 attached (fortunately no damage). The Benro is much better made -- lightweight, solid construction where the head base attaches to the legs, comes with a nice bag.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
When it comes to to supporting a heavy camera, I tend to favor a tripod that has leg braces. Granted it won't drop down as low as my manfrotto but it's will be sturdier.
For my graflex I have an old Slik tripod that's solid enough to hold a Sherman tank. Granted it also weighs as much as a tank, but it's guaranteed it won't break.
Francois

johnha

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
I have a Uni-Loc 1700 system tripod - heavy to lug around and quite long (it only has two sections). It came with a bag with shoulder straps but it's such a pain to try and pack it, I prefer to just use one shoulder strap on the tripod itself but it still digs in my ribs. Having said that, lugging it about totally drains my creative (and physical) energy.

I've seen people carry them slung over the top of their shoulder, often with camera attached - I haven't tried it but it might help...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:08:16 PM »
As I grow older, I'm starting to feel I need to modify an old golf caddy to carry the heavy stuff around...
That's why I have a case on wheels for my Graflex... I made it from a fabric cooler I got for cheap at the end of the summer and some EVA foam tiles for padding.
Francois

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 08:50:58 AM »
I use a Manfrotto 055 with a ball head which has supported cameras up to, weightwise, a Mamiya RZ67. I carry the tripod over my shoulder with an Optech strap like this - https://optechusa.com/tripod-strap.html 

There are photos of the tripod, and larger Manfrotto 075, on my blog at https://kevinthephotographer.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/one-camera-on-the-isle-of-skye/