Author Topic: First weekend of December 2023  (Read 822 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
First weekend of December 2023
« on: December 01, 2023, 05:37:06 PM »
Leica IIIc, Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5 lens with Ilford FP4+ developed in Beer.

Last shot from Ofu, American Samoa.
Flotsam and Jetsam on Ofu by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These are from Tutuila, the main island of American Samoa.
Glass float at Tisas by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These pill boxes line the coast of Tutuila, though they never saw any action during WWII.
Avatele Point Pill Box by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: First weekend of December 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 08:37:41 PM »
I like that pillbox Bryan! We have loads of those along the Norwegian coast, built by the Germans during WWII. But here they are integrated into the landscape and not so visible.
Here's two coastal landscapes without pillboxes.

Hasselblad 501 CM / Zeiss Distagon 4.0/50 / Rollei RPX 100 in Adox XT-3
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 03:37:48 PM »
I found a roll of exposed Acros in the back of a drawer. No idea how long it's been there - some years at least. Nothing of great interest on it, this was as exciting as it got.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 04:19:55 PM »
I really like the landscapes Kai. I will again be providing the color portion of the thread. These were taken at Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho on a day when nearby wildfires were making it very hazy and perhaps even hazardous to be out. But there we were. Shot on expired Ektachrome with the Nikon F2, cross processed in DIY C-41. My scanner struggles with color balance, so I just go with it. The second shot is actually more evocative of the actual feel that day.

F2-Ektachrome100-003_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

F2-Ektachrome100-008_sm by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 10:41:48 AM »
I've been leaving my comfort zone and trying combinations other than Tri-x and HC-110! :-\

Following Kai's recommendation, I was going to try Adox XT-3, but it was sold out here at the time. So I picked up a bottle of Bellini ECO, which apparently is also an XTOL clone. These are Fomapan 400, shot along the Thames at Gravesend.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 02:37:14 PM »
I really like the landscapes Kai. I will again be providing the color portion of the thread. These were taken at Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho on a day when nearby wildfires were making it very hazy and perhaps even hazardous to be out. But there we were. Shot on expired Ektachrome with the Nikon F2, cross processed in DIY C-41. My scanner struggles with color balance, so I just go with it. The second shot is actually more evocative of the actual feel that day.

Thanks James! I will soon join you in posting colour, had to use up some Kodak Portra 160 that was probably expired.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 02:44:03 PM »
I've been leaving my comfort zone and trying combinations other than Tri-x and HC-110! :-\

Following Kai's recommendation, I was going to try Adox XT-3, but it was sold out here at the time. So I picked up a bottle of Bellini ECO, which apparently is also an XTOL clone. These are Fomapan 400, shot along the Thames at Gravesend.

I love those shots Nigel, you seem to have done well with the Bellini ECO. I have not tried that variant of XTOL, do you know how long it can be stored? There are several clones of XTOL out there; in fact I've seen a DIY recipee for XTOL, I wonder if it was on this forum?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 06:30:25 PM »

I love those shots Nigel, you seem to have done well with the Bellini ECO. I have not tried that variant of XTOL, do you know how long it can be stored? There are several clones of XTOL out there; in fact I've seen a DIY recipee for XTOL, I wonder if it was on this forum?

Thanks, Kai. I quite like that the Bellini Eco is a liquid. But there's almost no information supplied with it.

It says:
for 1-5 films: use normal developing times
for 6-10 films: increase developing time by 15%
for 11-15 films: increase developing time by 30%

But that's it. How long do you give the XT-3? I'm not shooting a lot at the moment so I'm probably not going to get 10 rolls through it.

website

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 08:41:38 PM »
I looked up the Bellini ECO on Macodirect's website, it says the shelf life of the consentrate is very long and diluted 1+1 it should last for 6 months. I know from experience that XT-3 is fine after 3 months. The manufacturer says it will last for at least 6 months, but I will probably not be able to verify it at the rate I'm shooting film. Keep in mind that I'm using the XT-3 in 1+1 dilution as a one-shot developer, I don't reuse it.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 08:44:06 PM »

Thanks, Kai. I quite like that the Bellini Eco is a liquid. But there's almost no information supplied with it.

It says:

But that's it. How long do you give the XT-3? I'm not shooting a lot at the moment so I'm probably not going to get 10 rolls through it.

Did you get it from Nik & Trick? Their website says:

" is supplied here ready to be diluted one to one with water to make up what is in effect Xtol working solution. It can then be used exactly the same as Xtol, using the same times and temperatures as can be found on the Massive Dev Chart at Digitaltruth.com"

So I guess whatever you do with Xtol....
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 09:03:45 PM »

It says:

" is supplied here ready to be diluted one to one with water to make up what is in effect Xtol working solution. It can then be used exactly the same as Xtol, using the same times and temperatures as can be found on the Massive Dev Chart at Digitaltruth.com"

I think you're quite right Peter, it's the same with XT-3. The times for XTOL and XT-3 on Massive Dev Chart are identical.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 03:53:29 PM »

It says:

I think you're quite right Peter, it's the same with XT-3. The times for XTOL and XT-3 on Massive Dev Chart are identical.

Hi Peter, my Eco came from First Call Photo. I'm very pleased with the results so far. Hopefully, by the time it needs to be replaced XT-3 will be back in stock.

Kai - I'm using the 500ml diluted 1:1 – are we calling that 'stock'?
Are you diluting that further as a one-shot?

website

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 06:53:34 PM »
As far as I can see from the Bellini data sheet you dilute the concentrate 1+1 to get stock. For Fomapan 400 exposed at ISO 400 the developing time using stock should be 7 minutes at 20C, how does that compare to what you used? If you dilute the stock 1+1 the developing time should be 9.5 minutes at 20C. XTOL can be diluted up to 1+3, but Massive Dev Chart only goes to 1+1 for XT-3. The Bellini data sheet does not mention dilution of stock, but I would definitely test it out, at least to 1+1. Extending developing time will increase contrast, but you're probably aware of that.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 08:56:28 PM »
As far as I can see from the Bellini data sheet you dilute the concentrate 1+1 to get stock. For Fomapan 400 exposed at ISO 400 the developing time using stock should be 7 minutes at 20C, how does that compare to what you used? If you dilute the stock 1+1 the developing time should be 9.5 minutes at 20C. XTOL can be diluted up to 1+3, but Massive Dev Chart only goes to 1+1 for XT-3. The Bellini data sheet does not mention dilution of stock, but I would definitely test it out, at least to 1+1. Extending developing time will increase contrast, but you're probably aware of that.

I used 7-1/2 mins. We have very hard water here and with HC-110 I find I have to add a little to the MDC times. However, the negatives were just a little dense, so I may try 7 mins next time. For this batch I'll stick with reusing the Bellini and extending the time. Next time I may try diluting it and see how that compares. It's interesting; I like the Fomapan more than I expected and more than HP5 so far.

[EDIT] I'm dumb.  ::) As I posted this, I realised I mixed Bellini with spring water from the supermarket. That's a variable I'd forgotten about!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:00:02 PM by Nigel »

website