Author Topic: Wide 6x6 Recommendations?  (Read 15042 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Wide 6x6 Recommendations?
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »
While I love my 'Mat:

Its just not wide enough. So I bought this 50mm:

and while its aperture pre-set is a bit of an annoyance, so is its non-flat back for carrying, it also does this:

over-lapping frames (as well as sharp in the middle and blurred fringes which I like!). I can likely fix easy enough, but... The Mamiya C330 tempts with a 65mm:

or maybe a Mamiya 6 with a 50mm:

They're all f3.5 or f4.0 for the six, so apart from the metering errors quoted for the 6, and the weight of the C330, are there any other general comments I can consider? Other than perhaps how much the 'Mat will fetch on eBay. Any other wide 6x6 options? Hassy & Buroni I suppose... Arigato! Skj.

johann

• flickr
Re: Wide 6x6 Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
Bronica SQ-A with 50mm or wider ?
I heard that they are great MF cameras and not too expensive (unlike a hassie, which are great but more coslty).

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »
I'd have to suggest the Hasselblad swc and its 38mm lens no edge distortion at all! Much smaller than other Hasselblads and a joy to use.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hasselbladswc/ for endless examples

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
Skj, you only have to look at Phil 'buttocks of creamy marble' Bebbington's work to see how effective the Hasselblad SWC + that 38mm lens can be, but if money is an option then a lot of us here can vouch for the Bronny SQ range. They are fantastic cameras and the lenses - while usually fairly priced - can sometimes be found on evilBay for a snip.

BTW, I love the park/stairs/crowd shot. Loads of atmosphere.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
 :-[ Just for clarity, Ed it was taken with the 600SE prior to my having the wide lens :o Thank the lord I hear you scream ;)

The swc isn't really the option if you are looking to save a few quid, I have to say.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »
The swc isn't really the option if you are looking to save a few quid, I have to say.

Damn! I can see me a wearing something that can do this though:

Yikes! They be worth more than my bike:

Nice tho! Skj.

Skj.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:49:13 AM by Skorj »

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »
Very - of course if you had one you'd need to track down one of the anglefinders, they made framing a breeze, the supplied one isn't that good!

A dream to use though.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
Skorj, to co-opt those annoying shampoo adverts; you should have an SWC, "Because you're worth it".

;D

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »
dunno what they go for (probably a lot!), but rollei did a wide version that seems nice

Wide Rolleiflex 4/55 - Model K7W

http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/tele_wide.shtml
/jonas

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »
Well, EeeeeBay just now have a number ranging from £1300 to £5000 the later being tad expensive in my opinion.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
Well, EeeeeBay just now have a number ranging from £1300 to £5000 the later being tad expensive in my opinion.

Yup! Just had a look here in Japan too. All at least \300,000 or more. How does the angle finder mount, just out of curiosity that is...

dunno what they go for (probably a lot!), but rollei did a wide version that seems nice

The Rollei I think are up there in the SWC range. At least those I've seen here in Japan.

Skorj, to co-opt those annoying shampoo adverts; you should have an SWC, "Because you're worth it".

And here I was thinking I was a Polaroid pack-film kinda dude. Thanks! The Buroni S2 looks a gorgeous machine too, and at under \10,000 might be an option, especially as the native lens appears a nice 2.8! It seems a 40 or 50mm f3.5 was available, so more research needed...

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
Sorry can't upload images at work! http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleSWC.htm mounts the same you just look down into it rather than straight through. The original though diestorts the images and doesn't have guides to show you what is in shot and what is out. The anglefinder has the guides and they are spot on and there is no distortion - all in all a more pleasureable experience!

Lawrie

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
I must agree with Phil, the SWC is certainly a desirable piece of equipment  -  incredibly sharp and distortion free optics  -  vibration free shutter release  -  absolutely reliable  -  and ergonomically, a pleasure to use hand held!

I was fortunate to acquire mine in a "well used" condition about 18 years ago and have used is extensively ever since. The camera has never let me down and I would not dream of parting with it.

Expensive?  -  undeniably so!  However as demand continues, the SWC should hold its value in years to come. If you can afford to buy one don't hesitate - you won't regret it!

Regards,

Lawrie.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »
came to think about the 35mm f/3.5 Sekor for the mamiya 645...
are there adapters to be had between medium format cameras?
as it covers 6cm one way I'm thinking it should cover the other too?

more shots:http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=35mmf35sekorn&w=91256982@N00&s=int
/jonas

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
I love my Mamiya 6 with the 50mm.  Super-sharp lens, very accurate metering, easy to handle well-balanced kit.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 02:43:22 PM »
I'd say the SWC is the go to camera that will retain it's resale price.  The Bronica (S2 through SQ-B models) are beautiful cameras as well.  Here in Seattle, Boeing just went digital and sold off all their Bronica gear to a local shop. A lot of photo departments in local corporations here went with Bronicas over Hassies for the price point factor.  While their lenses aren't as precise as a Zeiss, they are tack sharp.

If you go with an S2, buy from a dealer as the advance gears do have issues wearing down over time.  The stock S2 lens is a Nikkor 2.8/75.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:39:39 PM by gregor »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »
If you get a Mamiya 6 you won't have to be concerned about resale price because you'll never want to sell it.   ;)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »
i've looked at the swc myself. maybe someday. there are also some russian options.

the kowa six/66 system is viable, with the 40mm lens (and a 35 if you can find it). though you are looking at at least $450 for the 40mm lens. and it is a beast to carry around...i've been considering picking up a six body again just because it is lighter than the 66.

from what i've read, the kowa 40mm and 35mm are the widest non-fisheye lenses you can get on a MF system.

digging that lens on the kalimar, though! i have the 50mm, just waiting for a camera deal (just missed an entire kit on ebay that went for $63 because i was browsing an forgot until 30 seconds after the auction ended).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:28:54 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
There are issues with the Bronica S2
From memory, they made the S2, which had problems. Then made the S2A which had none... then there are S2's with the internals of the S2A... the only way to tell them apart is to look at the serial numbers.
Here's the long story of Bronica...

So, to put things simply, if you get an S2A or an S2 with a serial number greater than 150037, you should have a very reliable camera.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
May I recommend the Bronnie sqb/sqa/sqai with the zenzanon 40mm on  the front?  The older 'S' version has aperture settings in whole stops, as opposed to the 'PS' version's 1/2 stop steps, but can still be used by manually placing the selector ring half way between steps.  It is an infinitely cheaper option than the  SWC, although the 95mm filter thread makes for expensive filter purchases if you are that way inclined.

Here are some pics from mine:

L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »
Sean, the third of those is just wonderful.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »
So, to put things simply, if you get an S2A or an S2 with a serial number greater than 150037, you should have a very reliable camera.

I have an S2A w/ a serial no. around the 160000's so I'm OK  ;) I do love that beast. Took it out recently for the first time in a while. I like the fact that you can still use it even with custom lenses. Much as I love my SQ-A, it is a bit of a drawback from that perspective having the shutter in the lens.

But Skj, if the money required to source an SWC is an issue, you could do way worse than either of the Bronnys. They're great.

Paul H

• 35mm
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
It's been hinted at, but the Iron Curtain road gives you access to quite a few wide choices.

If you get something with the Pentacon 6 mount, you've got access to a range of decent, well priced lenses - Arsat 30mm, Mir 45mm, CZ Flektogon 50mm, Arsat 55mm (T/S or rotator), etc.  Take a look at the P6 site for the whole range of choices.

A CLA'ed P6 or Arsat variant won't break the bank either, and should be just as reliable as any other camera of similar vintage.

Here's an example with the Arsat 30mm (keeping it level):

And another, but this time not keeping it level:

And the 50mm Flektogon:

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »
I do love that beast. Took it out recently for the first time in a while. I like the fact that you can still use it even with custom lenses.
Actually, the S2A is every lens hacker's dream machine...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »
Thanks all for the recommendations! It seems a serial number specified Buroni of some sort is in order. I am tempted by the Russian stuff but had a Kiev once and it was just too convoluted. Plus it was heavy and ugly (says a 600 SE user).

Can I assume all Kowa 6s auto stop down (unlike the Kalimar) Sean? Thanks! Skj.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »
I haven't owned a Hassy SWC like Phil's (yet) but the photos he takes with it are stunning. I have, however, owned a Bronica SQ-B with the 40mm Zenzanon PS 40mm and that was a fantastic lens (as Leon's photos testify).

My favourite MF wide lens is my current one - a Zeiss Distagon 40mm CF FLE - with floating lens elements that allow you to be selective over what's in focus in front and behind the point of focus. Attached is a couple of shots I took with it a month or so back.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »
Paul, that 40mm is a beauty and there are a few on ebay - tasty price! One for the want list perhaps.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
yeah the kowa lenses are auto stop, and i recently read that there is a lever on the lens for viewing a DOF preview, which i haven't tried yet. the camera itself isn't so heavy with a smaller lens, 55mm or 80mm. it's the 40mm lens that is huge and heavy. but i've carried onto mountains. i mostly just worry about scratching it or something. i'm still keeping an eye out for a 35mm. i found one on a UK website, but for like $1200.

plan on doing a re-review of the system on my blog soon, as i did the kowa six a long time ago.
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 03:10:30 AM »
Thanks Sean, as I do like the Kowa / Kalimar form factor... Skj.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
had a lead on a 35mm, but they said it just sold...i like the idea that it is wider and more compact than the 40mm. was reading about it, it's a 10 element lens with a reverse telephoto as part of it or somesuch.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:51:47 AM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters