Author Topic: Black and White Photography July 07 edition  (Read 5324 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Black and White Photography July 07 edition
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:16:06 PM »
A big congrats has to go out to FWs Skorj, Al Cooper Ron Flory, Ed Wenn, Lisa Maira, Becky Ramotowski and Susan Burnstine for getting published in this months B&WP.  An excellent feature on homemade/ out-of-the-ordinary cameras.  well done you all

and Ed gets a double-whammy with also having a book review published in the same issue.

L.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
Re: Black and White Photography July 07 edition
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »
Well done all,  had a little read on the train coming  home this evening.  Some nice creative work on display.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
A big congrats has to go out to FWs Skorj, Al Cooper Ron Flory, Ed Wenn, Lisa Maira, Becky Ramotowski and Susan Burnstine for getting published in this months B&WP.  An excellent feature on homemade/ out-of-the-ordinary cameras.  well done you all

and Ed gets a double-whammy with also having a book review published in the same issue.

And congrats and big thanks to Leon who reviewed the new Aculux 3 this month! Can't wait to sink my teeth into that article--I've been broken hearted since we lost A2!

Can't wait to sink my teeth into all of the articles. :)

Cheers Leon. :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 04:58:11 PM »
Thanks to Ailsa for putting together the 'Anything Goes' feature and it's great to share an issue with so many fellow Filmwasters. At some point I may try and get into the mag on the strength of my photos rather than the fact that I have some questionable cameras in my collection, but this will definitely do as a debut  ;D ;D ;D

All in all I think this was a really strong issue of B&WP. Nice!

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »
You stink Leon....like a rose.  :-*

Good job had by all. I have yet to see this wonderous magazine...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 11:03:27 PM »
great stuff and very inspiring. Gave me the nudge to call in at the newsagent which shows I've been too busy - I usually go in a day or 2 too early. The magazine hs definitely got a lot stronger over the past few months. Keep it coming Ailsa.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

MarkBurley

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 11:55:40 PM »
I have to say that - I too echo all previous sentiments... Great issue and well done all who got pieces/items into the mag. damn good read thanks all - esp Ailsa...

Mark

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 04:18:32 PM »
Big congrats to all on what will be known as the Filmwasters issue of B&WP. Now all we have to do is get Damion a whole issue dedicated to him...  ;D

Did I hear (or see) right? Aculux 3? I've been hoarding my Aculux 2 reserves for special processing thinking it was never to be seen again. Not that I don't adore Perceptol -- I'll still use it for that fine, fine grain and the ability to pull Pan F down to ISO 25 -- but Aculux was mighty fine, all-purpose stuff. I loved its ability to push process the hell out of Delta 3200 and still get reasonably fine grain -- for Delta 3200!!

Can't wait for it to come back to the states so I can give it a try.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I thought the feature looked great - and was packed with really inspiring info.

I've already had a letter from a reader saying how much they hated it, and how pinhole cameras and the like should be consigned to the past, but hey ho - you can't please everyone!  ;)

Ron

• Alt Photos
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »
A big thank you, Ailsa, for putting this together and letting us in on it  ;)
Thanks too Leon for the kind congrats.  Looking forward to seeing the magazine for the obvious reasons, plus the fact I have never seen a copy (I have been told Barnes and Noble carries it in the States). Congratulations Susan, Becky, Lisa, Ed, Al and Skorj  :) 

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »
I've already had a letter from a reader saying how much they hated it ....

Excellent - the world of the closed-minded ... life would be pretty damn boring without them - they're the depression to our mania, to speak in bi-polar terms ;)
L.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 09:16:23 PM »
Credit also to Ed for the book review, only picked up on it today. Also noted that book alongside Ed's  review on Circus by Bruce Davidson,  looks good.   

astrobeck

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 11:30:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I thought the feature looked great - and was packed with really inspiring info.
I've already had a letter from a reader saying how much they hated it, and how pinhole cameras and the like should be consigned to the past, but hey ho - you can't please everyone!  ;)

I haven't seen the magazine yet, but anxiously await because it sounds fabulous, and I'm quite chuffed to be a part of it.

Too bad about the reader with the consignment of pinhole photography to the past.

Sadly, some might feel the same about film photography! 

Thanks Ailsa for your dedication to keeping black and white alive and _very_ well!   :)
And thanks to sites and forums like this one that keep chuggling on at full speed!!!

Cheers all!
 :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:59:58 AM by astrobeck »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 10:01:13 AM »

The only thing worse than being complained about, is not being complained about...

Glad to be part of such a wildly talented set, and even more pleased to be part of such a notable publication. Definitely a cut above my previous accolades, like being accepted into the Magnum Group (on Fickle). Skj.

FrankB

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »

It does rather sound like someone who has recently spent a small fortune on the latest whizz-bang digi-gizmo, can now hear said item audibly depreciating and feels a little self-justification is in order...!  ;)

All the best,

Frank (who gets most of his exercise from jumping to conclusions! ;D )

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »
It does rather sound like someone who has recently spent a small fortune on the latest whizz-bang digi-gizmo, can now hear said item audibly depreciating and feels a little self-justification is in order...!  ;)

NNNNNNGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAHHHHHGGGGGGGG!!!!! (That's the sound of me biting my tongue.)

It really isn't a good idea for me to be seen to be disparaging of my readers on a web forum. All I can say is, look out for the letter in the August issue...

FrankB

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 02:33:37 PM »
 ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
"Gag me with a spoon"

I'd like to second the earlier comment about the recent issues of B&WP having become consitently stronger. It's just about a 'must buy' these days...Don't misinterpret that as I'm not a magazine/newspaper person at all. I'll be subscribing before I know it  ;D

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »
Me thinks I'm going to subtly suggest to my better half the idea of a subscription since I have a b-day coming up rather soon... Cheaper than that Epson 3800 I've been drooling over.  ;D
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

FrankB

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »
All I can say is, look out for the letter in the August issue...

Having now read the letter -

"There is simply no alternative to my Canon 20D, which is 100% quirk free."

Really? That'll be a bit of a shock to Canon who replaced it with the 30D a while back.

What was the phrase I used? "Audibly depreciating"? Hmmm...!  ;D

"And as for your comment that using those ugly old cameras can be a lot more fun than polishing a lens, I know which I'd rather do any day."

Yep, he sounds like a lens polisher...!  ::)  ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:35:52 PM by FrankB »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 02:36:16 PM »
excellent .... I cant wait to read that.
L.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »
Did he write it in green ink Ailsa?  We'll have missives from Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells next!

lmaira

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 01:24:20 AM »
I'm beside myself with glee about being included! Thanks so much, Ailsa, and thanks Leon, too.

Erm, this is my first post here, so I should say hello everyone - so, hi!

- Lisa

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 04:05:58 AM »
I picked up a copy tonight at a Barnes and Noble.  :) 

Fab issue.

Hi Lisa :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 02:28:46 PM »
What, it's August already?! I haven't even saved my ?3.80 yet. Will have to go without lunch for the rest of the week and then buy it over the weekend.