Author Topic: Let's Start +VE Monday!  (Read 5211 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Let's Start +VE Monday!
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
Here's an idea:

Lots of negativity around in the news and forums about kodak this, and film that ...

I think we should take a positive look at film photography each monday to lift our spirits and round off the weekend threads?

I'll start this week by quoting a recent post on the Silverprint (UK film, paper and darkroom supplier) Myface Twitbook page:

Silverprint would like to state that over the last 12 months our sales figures of Traditional Film/Paper have risen and Silverprint has never been more determined in our commitment to supplying all our analog users worldwide, with everything they require to enjoy and develop both there careers or simply their love of analog photography.

As the biggest independent UK supplier of Ilford, Silverprint would like to assure everyone that they are currently in a secure and stable position.

We feel that the press has currently converted the KODAK Story from "133 Year Old Company...Dead!"...to "Film...DEAD!". This is simply not the case, both in terms of Sales Figures and the current online buzz surrounding Analog Imagery and Techniques. Variety is the spice of life and surely we are all commited to that idea!]

This is our passion!
Silverprint+

great stuff.

Feel free to join in - +ve only though - any -ve comments will be consigned to room 101.
L.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
Re: Let's Start +VE Monday!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
Great idea  :)

I've just had a request for one of my photos to be used in a toy camera book - a first for me  8)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Good news indeed Windy and a good idea from Leon. I like a bit of positivity.

This is very much in the same vein as the Silverprint statement, this time from AG.

Business as Usual

By now most customers will have heard that Eastman Kodak has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection in the USA. We want to explain to customers that, despite emotive media reports, this does not mean the company ceases to exist - Kodak continues to trade as normal, the only difference being that much of their liabilities, they are now protected from.

In our view this is a good move for Kodak because:

1. It means they can re-organise the company without the threat of the liabilities that have hung over the business in recent years;

2. They can re-finance the company. By making the move into bankruptcy protection they have been able to secure $950m of funding from Citibank

3. For a number of years it has seemed top management in the company have been obsessed with Wall Street and the share price of the company. In our opinion this has been a hinderance to the effective management of the business. Now the company is de-listed from the NYSE, they don't have to concern themselves with Wall Street and can take decisions freely.

4. It is expected the company will remain in Chapter 11 for around 12 months, at the end of which a new Kodak will emerge.

At Ag Photographic we will continue to sell traditional Kodak products as usual. We hope this helps explain the situation to customers.
  :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »
Just like I've been saying all this time: there's no reason to fear!

I know this might sound slightly off topic but for over a bit more than a year, I've banned the evening news from my TV schedule. I also removed those 24/7 news channels from my tv. Too much negative stuff is being said there. And often, big earth shattering comments are made by pseudo experts who actually only know how to get people scared. And up to now, I don't feel I missed anything really that important. And overall, it just makes me happier.

It's time we get some positive stuff in our lives and stop worrying about what we cannot change.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
OT - Re: Let's Start +VE Monday!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
[/rant on]

Agree with Francois 100% about removing the corporate news cycle from your life. I did exactly this after the last general election in the UK (although to be honest I had pretty much opted out of the mainstream news for a couple of years before that) and I concur that life is better without it. I keep up with the headlines via the front pages of other people's newspapers and I can always check the Web for details if this or that story is of interest. For the most part though I get a summary of the previous week's 'news' via satirical TV and radio shows like the BBC's "Have I Got News For You" and "The News Quiz" (and more reluctantly via "The Now Show" when "The News Quiz" rotates off for a break). If I was in North America I guess I'd be watching "The Daily Show" etc. It's amazing how much you can stay in touch with what the corporations deem important enough to calls 'news' purely by listening to topical, satirical comedy.

[/rant off]

(and breathe.......)   ;) ;) ;)

On the specific subject of the recent stories around the Kodak situation; it's no surprise that it's been reported the way it has because if it were true, it would fit the script. People expect to hear about another analogue film business going under; even people who aren't interested in photography wouldn't be surprised to hear that Kodak was going bust as a result of a lack of consumer demand (or whatever) for analogue products and the unstoppable rise of digital photography. It makes the story nice and easy to package. The truth is more complicated and won't probably make the mainstream media news as a result.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »
Leon: I've only just understood what on earth the "+ve" abbreviation actually means. It looks ugly....or am I being too -ve?

;D

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
Great idea  :)

I've just had a request for one of my photos to be used in a toy camera book - a first for me  8)

Oh, nice! Well done Sir

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
Like Ed, I too get the important news through comedy television. Here in Canada, the best are Infoman and the Rick Mercer Report.

Francois

astrobeck

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
I don't watch or read National News either.
If it's really important, somehow it finds a way through to me, but for the most part it just drifts past.  My pulse is about 3 as a result!

Big Cheers to Mr. Windy!  What photo ?
Was it one with your cute Holga 135?

Inquiring minds want to know?
 ;D

My good news for Monday is I'm applying for a new job, so fingers crossed!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
Ed - +VE is international shorthand for positive, isn't it? I'm sure we used it as school in physics.

I love filmwasters, we get about 3 posts sticking to the theme, then we're off digressing and tangentialising (?) to a whole new world.

Oh well, it was nice as long it lasted ;)

great news Windy, and good luck Becky.
L.

mickld

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
I'm sure a lot of you will be familiar with the http://www.insideanalogphoto.com/ podcast, but if not it is worth a listen. I forget the host's name, but he interviews photographers dedicated to using film and they usually make for an interesting show. The podcast seems to have picked up again having stopped for a while, but there is a pretty big backlog of shows to work your way through. They're sure to fire your enthusiasm for film photography & processes.

You might need to skip through the advertising blurb at the start - for the sake of your eardrums.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
too bad we can't skip the BS automatically...
Which reminds me of a project I saw on Make. The guy had programmed an arduino chip equipped with a video feed to look for certain words on the closed captioning channel. If the words were on screen, the device would automatically send the TV a Mute button for 5 seconds or until the caption goes away.
(to keep his sanity, he even blocked out the words "Snooki" and "Trump" :) )

If they were to sell such a thing, there would be plenty of buyers I'm sure!
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
Last weekend, I put "Photo" into the Sky TV "search" facility. I wasn't expecting much, if anything, but it came up with a series called "Photo Suisse" on TV5 Monde. I set the record series link and watched a couple of episodes tonight.

Now, the programmes are only 15 minutes long, they're in French (so I can hardly understand a word of what they're on about) but they showcase some pretty interesting photographers - all of which, so far, has been film based as the series seems to have been filmed in the early 2000s.

Great fun and some interesting photos / techniques.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »
Last weekend, I put "Photo" into the Sky TV "search" facility.

OKay, where is this? Am I paying for something that I don't use and might be useful?

There was me going through the pain of watching MU stuffing Arsenal when I could have been searching for "Photo"  :'(

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »
Phil,

When you get the "All", "Entertainment", "Lifestyle" channel selection options on screen, hit the upward arrow and it takes you to the menu level above. On there, scroll across until you hit an icon that looks like a magnifying glass. That's the search function.

Enter whatever word you're looking for (in my example "photo"). To enter a word, it's the same idea as a non-predictive text mobile phone. On the handset, the numbers have "abc", "def", "ghi" etc. on them. Hit the appropriate buttons repeatedly until your word appears in the box on the screen and hit enter.

Anything that starts "Photo" appears as a list and it tells you what channel, when, etc so you can record / record series and all that kind of thing.....

Hope that makes sense.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nick Moys

• Peel Apart
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
Great idea, Leon - good news is just what Mondays need.

OT: I stopped watching/listening to the daily news several years ago - just too depressing.  I had wondered whether this was perhaps a sign of creeping middle age madness, paranoia, etc, but, if so, at least  I won't be the only sufferer!

My Monday good news was a letter from HMRC saying I'd paid too much tax last year - blimey!  The refund won't be quite enough to retire on, but it should cover an enlarger timer or print washer for my planned new darkroom.  Happy days. 

Nick

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »
Paul, I'm on to it!

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 04:30:43 AM »
On the +VE side, my wife named my Iskra "Boris" (she names all gadgets, side-effect from naming all the sewing machines as a costumer). I said in that case, I need a BelOMO Vilia so I can have a "Natasha" and she said sure!

But, as much as I want a "new" plastic fantastic rangefinder with a triplet lens, I'm also lurking for a Great Wall DF-_ and a Harman TiTAN (as my first LF camera), so will probably save my shekels. Plus, I have a lot of film that needs my attention. And some paper negs to develop. And a kidlet to squeeze.

And always more images to ogle and envy. :D

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »

There was me going through the pain of watching MU stuffing Arsenal when I could have been searching for "Photo"  :'(

Yes that was a +VE moment wasn't it!!  ;D ;D
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
Big Cheers to Mr. Windy!  What photo ?
Was it one with your cute Holga 135?

Inquiring minds want to know?
 ;D

My good news for Monday is I'm applying for a new job, so fingers crossed!

It was indeed one from my Holga 135 (2 actually)

This one and this one  :)

all the best with the job application, Becky