Author Topic: World Toy Camera Day October 18, 2008  (Read 5263 times)

tijeras

World Toy Camera Day October 18, 2008
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:15:48 AM »
World Toy Camera Day is Saturday!

Shoot, shoot, shoot.

:) :) :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: World Toy Camera Day October 18, 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
For those who want the official poster, here is a link I posted on zShare
World Toy Camera Day 2008 final.pdf - 1.74MB
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:33:39 PM »
Does an Argus 75 count as a toy camera?

tijeras

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
Does an Argus 75 count as a toy camera?

Sure,
use it.

The main game plan for the day is to go out and have fun.
Shoot film!
 :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:56:16 PM »
I think most of us have a very wide description of what is a toy camera. I think lo-fi camera would be a better term. There are so very few "real" toy cameras (I can only think of the Fisher Price camera) that I feel most of the ones in the toy camera definition are primarily  lo-fi.
Francois

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:41:53 AM »
I think most of us have a very wide description of what is a toy camera. I think lo-fi camera would be a better term. There are so very few "real" toy cameras (I can only think of the Fisher Price camera) that I feel most of the ones in the toy camera definition are primarily  lo-fi.

i can see your point. i never took the definition to be literal. plus there are a lot of lo-fi cameras i don't really consider toys such as a lot of old folding and box cameras.

i've planned a flickr meetup for saturday to encourage people here to shoot toy cameras(of course a lot of us already do). i even volunteered to lend people cameras if they wanted to try something out. i'm not sure what kind of turnout we'll be getting though.

william

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »
World Toy Camera Day is Saturday!

Sorry, no I don't think you've got that quite right.  It should be:

"The Lomographic Society Proudly Presents World Toy Camera Day this Saturday?"  ;) ;D

http://photondetector.com/blog/2008/04/22/lomographic-society-continues-to-suck-co-opts-worldwide-pinhole-photography-day/

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
well, they did create the very first camera that takes both 120 and 35mm film.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
Is WTCD still tied in with TC.com or is it a separate thing now? In other words is there an 'official' gallery going up anywhere on Mike's site or is it going to be hosted somewhere else? Anyone know?

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
still through tc.com. but i don't think it's being taken as 'seriously' as last year, as in i think people are just being encouraged to shoot and post shots. not even sure if mike is planning a gallery this year. beck's flickr group is still there but no contest this time.
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:42 PM »
Very grassroots this year. No contest, no official gallery. I just did a poster for the fun of making a poster... (I wanted an excuse to do some vector work)
Francois

tijeras

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 05:58:23 AM »
Is WTCD still tied in with TC.com or is it a separate thing now? In other words is there an 'official' gallery going up anywhere on Mike's site or is it going to be hosted somewhere else? Anyone know?

"official" is a scary word.

The flick'r site  World Toy Camera Day and then some, will host the day's results and good times.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/worldtoycameradayand_then_some/
No prizes, just fun.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
I might even flex my plastic eye muscle.     wibble
L.

mike barnes

• 35mm
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »

It became a bit too laborious to put up the gallery when the submissions got over 200... things also got a bit out of hand with the prizes... somehow it became more of a "contest" rather than just a day to shoot.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 11:26:29 PM »
Yes, that was a bit sad. Prizes were offered with good intentions and as small encouragements (TC members offering up their own film stock or old cams they were happy to give away) but it became a bit of a feeding frenzy. When winners were busted for entering previously taken images it turned a bit sour for me..

It should settle down when the cool-new-thing  effect moves on to the next town. Meanwhile a Flickr gallery seems like a good answer

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 01:16:08 AM »
funny thing is, except for a couple nice items from beck, like the print and i believe an sx-70, most of the stuff you could buy for $5! i guess people just 'want'.
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:51 AM »
Yes, that was a bit sad. Prizes were offered with good intentions and as small encouragements (TC members offering up their own film stock or old cams they were happy to give away) but it became a bit of a feeding frenzy. When winners were busted for entering previously taken images it turned a bit sour for me..

It should settle down when the cool-new-thing  effect moves on to the next town. Meanwhile a Flickr gallery seems like a good answer

Coolio. I may even re-join the fray. I remember getting a little disillusioned with WTCD a couple of years ago after some idiot won it with a picture of an old boat parked on a beach.  The shot was reasonably well exposed, but inferior camera equipment had been used as a certain amount of lens distortion was clearly discernible and the light dropped off towards the four corners of the frame. The winning shot the year before that wasn't much better. It was a snap of some fool who was trying to catch the wind in a large net that he was hurling off a pier during a storm...at least the photographer had the good sense to lie down to get out of the wind, but again there was the darkening of the frame towards the edges and the same nasty lens distortion.

Can I enter using a DSLR or does it have to be film based (and therefore the Linhof 617)?
 :D :D

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 04:01:51 AM »
I wasn't aware that a previous wtcd winner or winners used photographs already taken. I don't think I was. Hmm. As far as last years event, there were those who looked past the day for what it truly represented and concentrated more on prizes. Prizes that came out of my bedroom more or less. Prizes I had available and wanted to give away as what Don says, small encouragements. I never once forgot what wtcd was truly about and that is taking pictures with the world. I merely had the resources then and offered them up. I am still not even sure if everyone got their prize and only know of a few who did. It was a fun time. I guess some people who were new to toy cameras and wtcd were more excited about winning rather than shooting for the day. Eh, who am I to say that is right or wrong. It wasn't so much that the frenzy of it all then turned me off....though I may have mentioned it out of exhaustion...it basically drained me. Much respect to those who do offer legit contests, exhibits and the like. It is hard work I imagine.

While I have the itch to do it all again, I promised myself I would not and will just enjoy the day along with thousands of others around the world.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 04:03:38 AM »
It became a bit too laborious to put up the gallery when the submissions got over 200... things also got a bit out of hand with the prizes... somehow it became more of a "contest" rather than just a day to shoot.

as the awareness of toy cameras increase, it seems like doing a proper gallery just becomes nearly impossible. the same for the contests, it's a lot of work to look through all those images.  but having said that it might be fun to have an entry fee. instead of money everyone would have to award a prize to someone. it wouldn't have to be a big prize, a roll of film, or several, a print,etc. then ideally it could be about giving and not just about winning. but once again the logistics would be difficult with addresses and all.

william

tijeras

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 04:34:41 AM »
The clock is ticking down, and we are just a couple of days away from the big event.

Hope everyone has great weather, lots of film, cameras, friends, and loads of fun!!!!

Post your photos over at http://www.flickr.com/groups/worldtoycameradayand_then_some/

Don, you can shoot fishermen anytime you like.
Leon, boats are fine subjects!
Beck, I hope you can relax this year and have fun with your muses.

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
Lock and load, today is the day. Happy clicking :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 05:36:43 AM »
i had a tough time getting excited about it this year... i shoot something like ever other day so it didn't feel all that special this time around. that and i worked last night so i slept through most of it. i seem to go all out every other year, like last year with the road trip.
i'm going to buy a new bike tomorrow so i'll probably ride around and shoot then.

looking forward to see what others shot, though.
                                                                  - John Waters

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
I did my bit got up early and headed for the mountains.  Useless morning really dull for photography.  I ended up doing 2 minute exposures  so i am not too hopeful for the results,  still delighted I took part.
i won a prize a few years back for an image I took on the day. It was 2006  I think and was organised toycamera.com.  It was a Holga by Holgamods. I dont think they were impressed having to post to Ireland.   

Really looking forward to seeing Filmwasters results from the day.