Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 844181 times)

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
I just bought a 10" * 12" Patterson Auto Washer for £35 from eBay, so I can now make use of the large amount of fibre-based darkroom paper I got for free some time ago. Seems to be working fine.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »
I just bought a 10" * 12" Patterson Auto Washer for £35 from eBay, so I can now make use of the large amount of fibre-based darkroom paper I got for free some time ago. Seems to be working fine.

Bought one recently as well - quite a handy thing... My only trouble with it - but that may be inherent with all washers - is that when I wash prints on fine hand-coated papers like Bergger Cot 320 and similar they float so much that a few inches are always in the air... Works perfect with regular silver gelatine papers though.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #502 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »
My first box of Harman direct positive paper. I'm going to bang it through the tailboard 45 on Saturday and stew gently in Caffenol.  Can't wait.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #503 on: January 30, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
Could not help myself!
Fresh form service Rolleiflex 2.8d and a GR1s became mine this week.  Had both of them before but stupidly sold them.
Never again  ;)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #504 on: January 31, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
Picked up 5 rather grubby and (seemingly) non-functioning point and shoot cameras from a local charity shop for £10.

2 x Canon, 1 x Pentax, 1 x Yashica and an Olympus Trip 35.  I gave them all a wipe down, cleaned the lenses and checked inside (all looked very clean). I've put batteries in them (ex the Oly Trip, of course) - a combination of CR2 and CR123As and all seem to be working fine. I presume their previous owners "went digi" and just dumped these cameras.

I'll see if I can get a snap of them and post on here as I'm not familiar with any of them. All have zoom lenses in the 35-70mm range but one of them (can't remember which) goes from 35mm to 135mm.  Might put a few of them on the "Share the Love" thread as I'm never going to use them all - though I'm keeping the Oly Trip as I've always wanted one.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #505 on: January 31, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
Even if it is just for the Trip that is good. Does the little red flag pop up on the Trip when it is pointing at a dark scene? If that is working then it is heading in the right direction! That is not required of course as lots of folks just use it in its fixed-speed manual mode (ie flash mode).

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
Even if it is just for the Trip that is good. Does the little red flag pop up on the Trip when it is pointing at a dark scene? If that is working then it is heading in the right direction! That is not required of course as lots of folks just use it in its fixed-speed manual mode (ie flash mode).

Yes, the little red flag pops up and I've tried it at varius ISO settings and it seems to be differentiating between light levels.  How accurate it is, I have no idea yet, but I'm going to run a roll through it over the next week and see how it copes.

As you say, I could always meter by eye and rely on the 1/40th shutter speed / f-stop combos.

I was chuffed to get it but it looked as it it had been left on a very dusty / grimy shelf for years.  It's scrubbed up okay, though...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #507 on: February 02, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
A Diana mini on eBay for less then 3 quid! Ex. Postage....
Got several Diana medium formats,  so i'm adware of how plastic they are but i read Some where that i'll  allow you to take square shots on 35mm film!
Can't wait!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #508 on: February 03, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
Yep, the Mini does take square shots on 35mm. The only drawback is that it uses an entire frame to put the square in, but it's still pretty darn nice.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #509 on: February 05, 2014, 06:14:14 AM »
I like the diana mini. pleasantly wide for a half format camera! just gotta get past that stage with the shutter button shaking up the camera. I've seen some excellent tripod shots where the lens shines.

or you could just embrace the blur ;)

the long way home by jojonas~, on Flickr
/jonas

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #510 on: February 22, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »
While at work in London in the week, I managed to get the last 6 packs of fp300b from Mr Cad - £16 each, to go with a Polaroid 320 on ebay while I was away in Cornwall for £34 :D

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #511 on: February 22, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
A box of expired 4x5" sheet film; expired I guess around 1980. Valca (from Bilbao) was one of the manufacturers in Spain in the late XX century - Negra (from Barcelona) was the other. 25 sheets for 12 euros: not bad if the film works!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #512 on: February 22, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »
You'll probably need to overexpose the heck out of the film. My calculator says EI 10....... that's slow!
Francois

Info Red

« Reply #513 on: February 23, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »
A Yashica Mat EM, and a Minolta Hi-Matic 7, both from the same antique shop. The Minolta just needed a battery and it's good to go - very clean, the meter works fine, and it's ready to dance.

The EM, on the other hand, came to me with the meter dangling off the front, the shutter release button inoperable, the lens hazy, the winding crank inoperable, and on and on. I sent it to Mark Hama last Saturday for a CLA, and it is already back! It was delivered last night, and looks terrific, with all functions operational! He even installed a new, functioning meter on the thing! I've loaded it with film, but the cold and gloom have returned today, so I'll wait for better skies to take it for a spin...

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #514 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:35 AM »
Just got an untested Minolta SRT101 off of the 'bay for $20. Predictably, it's busted ... the mirror does not flip up. I know nothing about repairing cameras, should I dive into this and attempt to fix it? Or is it a relatively-affordable paperweight?

I fixed this yesterday!  :o Didn't even have to open up the guts, just reached into the lens barrel with a butter knife and gently (meaning, quite roughly) inserted a pin into a hole that it seemed like it wanted to be in. And as the 3rd chair violinist said, viola! It works (or, seems to. I have a roll of film in there right now that I'm going to burn through to test). Combined with the all-metal Soligor 70-150 it's quite a monster. Also, the lens itself doesn't seem to have a DoF preview, so does that mean that the TTL light meter will read too slow (the light meter itself works on the battery that's in there, amazingly)? Anyways, no matter, now I have a new-to-me camera and a mugger-deterrent/weapon in one :)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #515 on: February 27, 2014, 08:13:49 AM »
Ehem, I have been a naughty boy.

I have avoided parting with too much money, but have made a few acquisitions through swaps and wheeling and dealing. Pictures will be posted later.

A P6, from Terry - I appreciate your kindness immensely.  I needed a P6 mount camera for a Petzval lens that I hope will arrive sometime in May.

A Canon EF - ebay purchase, unbelievably cheap Canon FD mount option. Quite rightly dubbed the "Black Beauty"

A Mamiya 645 1000s - a fellow Norwegian sold it to me for a pittance

A Zorki I with Industar I-22. A swap deal, I sent the other party my Kowa Super 66 and lenses. May seem a bad deal, but the Zorki is in fine fettle, the Kowa needs a bit of work.

To balance this I have put up two TLRs for sale in the trades section ;)
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #516 on: February 27, 2014, 08:31:37 AM »
I wasn't wheeling and dealing as much as you, Eirik, but off went my Contaflex Super B with 4 lenses
and in came a beautiful Fuji GA645 Pro.  :)
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #517 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
Ezzie, the canon EF quickly became my favourite camera, i allready had a stash of FD lenses to go with it.

Only thing i have learned is its really easy to snap film winding on, there is no safety on it, if it goes tight then stop and the roll is done, often at 35 tho

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #518 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »
Thank you for the warning Kayos. I have quite high expectations for the EF. I am going to try to cull my 135 collection a bit, and end up with mainly one RF and one or maybe two SLR systems. FD glass is good, and still relatively cheap.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #519 on: February 27, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
Ezzie, your "list" seems to be a promise of lots of fun.. :)
I was thinking hard about a fuji 645 myslef, I'm resisting so far.. And I try to do the same about that lovely Flexaret... Do you know, it feels almost a shame that I do not own maybe the only really good camera that has been made in my country...

Alas, but I have to confess that a few days ago I clicked on a Horizon 202, which is a thing I wanted to try for a long time. Still awaiting the delivery...

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #520 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
I've had a GAS relapse recently, too ;D A Voigtländer Bessa R2 is in the mail from Ffordes right now and I've been offered a silver Bessaflex ... I'm just not sure if I actually need an M42 mount camera.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #521 on: February 27, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
Even though I have my Leica M, I've always thought that the colored Bessa cameras were sharp looking.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #522 on: February 27, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »
Ezzie. I don't know if this is your first Mamiya 1000s but I love them. Andrej, don't count on me to dissuade you for the fuji as I love them too. They are do compact and easy to bring along. A lot of my fave shots have been done on a fuji 645. (OK, obvious love and bias to the "halfframe 120 format" is accepted, haha.)

---------------

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #523 on: February 27, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »
Ezzie. I don't know if this is your first Mamiya 1000s but I love them. Andrej, don't count on me to dissuade you for the fuji as I love them too. They are do compact and easy to bring along. A lot of my fave shots have been done on a fuji 645. (OK, obvious love and bias to the "halfframe 120 format" is accepted, haha.)

;D I have nothing against the 6x4.5 format - since I rarely print larger than 8x10 the neg size is plenty enough for me. I used to have a mamiya 645 (E version) - sold it because I found that most of my images were vertical and the plastic black box was a PITA for verticals. Should have added a grip maybe... Nevertheless, it's gone and now the idea was to get something more pack-able than the Bronica SQ - or even than the Rolleicord.. BTW, which one (or which ones) do you have? I really can't decide whether to go GS or GA...

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #524 on: February 27, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »
Even though I have my Leica M, I've always thought that the colored Bessa cameras were sharp looking.

You mean the olive ones? I actually don't like them, but the black ones are sharp looking!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #525 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
I've been thinking about the Mamiya 645 and the Fuji GAs, too Andrej ;D

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #526 on: February 27, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
Dont forget about the blue!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #527 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
Dont forget about the blue!

I didn't know about that one! But I'm more of a traditionalist: Chrome and black are my colours :)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #528 on: February 27, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »
Nevertheless, it's gone and now the idea was to get something more pack-able than the Bronica SQ - or even than the Rolleicord.. BTW, which one (or which ones) do you have? I really can't decide whether to go GS or GA...

I have mainly shot the GS645W and like it a lot. It is a bit on the wide side for me, but the plus is that on a sunny day it is pretty much a P&S camera  :)

It is certainly more pack-able than a SQ. It is more compact and lighter than my M645 (even at it lightest setup) and it is lighter than a Rolleicord (I have weighed the two and the fuji was significantly lighter). I have used it a lot in backcountry and hiking adventures such as this pic of my son 10+ years ago. I cannot speak to the GA series. I would not be surprised if they are a bit heavier as they have more going on.

It is light because it uses a fair bit of plastic and I would not want to pound nails with it. But I think with a reasonable amount of care it can take a fair bit of abuse.

Health Valley Trail 2000 - 08 by mcduff!, on Flickr
---------------

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #529 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »

Urban you have good taste  ;) (even if you don't like the coloured Bessa's -- I think they are cute ::))
---------------

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #530 on: February 27, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
2 four packs of Fuji 200 film from Walmart. It has to be bought online for 4.75 and tax. Pick up at the store. And there is a limit of 2. They don't price match their own website and there is a 2  pack limit. I am tempted to order more but I am ok film wise for awhile.  :) 

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #531 on: February 28, 2014, 05:41:24 AM »
I have a Fuji GL690BL, and considered a GA or GS645 instead. I now wish i had got the 645. Admittedly the resulting negs are big and super sharp, but I really don't need another 6x9.

Anyone up for a trade?
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #532 on: February 28, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
I have a Fuji GL690BL, and considered a GA or GS645 instead. I now wish i had got the 645. Admittedly the resulting negs are big and super sharp, but I really don't need another 6x9.

Anyone up for a trade?

Do you want to trade it for my Canon P? No? Fair enough :P

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #533 on: February 28, 2014, 08:30:25 AM »

Anyone up for a trade?

Do you want to trade it for my Canon P? No? Fair enough :P
I was thinking more along the lines of someone who may have got a 645 and wanted a 690. :D Funny though, that you can't shift your P - it is a nice camera - one I wouldn't mind myself. But I have all of a sudden increased my 135 collection, rather than cut back on it.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #534 on: February 28, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »
The P6 Terry sent me, with Kiev 88 to P6 adapter. And a Volna 3 (Kiev mount) I had lying about.

Thank you Terry.

Pentacon SIX v2 by Eirik0304, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:18:16 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #535 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
I hope you know that I wasn't making a serious offer, right? I think the Fuji is worth quite a lot. And how do you like the P6? It's the only medium format camera that I'll keep besides my Rolleiflex, I think.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #536 on: February 28, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »
Haven't shot with it yet, just loaded a roll of Portra 400. Hope to shoot through it today and get it processed tomorrow.

Have no fears, I didn't take your "offer" seriously. The G690BL is probably worth a bit more than the P, even if it is not exactly in mint condition.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #537 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Supposed to pay my student loans but hey!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #538 on: February 28, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
Oh boy Aksel! A Cambo SW? 

By the way, still got the metered prism for the P6?
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #539 on: February 28, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
Looks more like a Sinar Handy! A fine thing, whatever the name is..
Now, if only I had a LF enlarger, that would be a thing to pine for..

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #540 on: February 28, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »
Oh boy Aksel! A Cambo SW? 

By the way, still got the metered prism for the P6?

It´s a Sinar handy with 75/5.6, Pola back for the pack 100 film and vario roll back that can be changed between 6X4.5 in steps up to 6x12 mid roll.

The metered prism is yours Ezzie, if you can wait 6 weeks for it?

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #541 on: February 28, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »
Thanks Aksel. I have no rush. You coming home for Easter?
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #542 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »
Indeed I am Ezzie, got one month "off" to produce 10.000+ words of some sort of sense.
pm me you address and I´ll post it asap when I`m back home.

Ohh, and this was just sent in my direction. Swapped it for a v4 Summicron.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:08:51 PM by Aksel »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #543 on: February 28, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
Speed graphic... nice.
Is that an aero ektar on the top?
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #544 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »
Yes, Aero-Ektar it is, lusted for on a long time.
50 sheets of ektar 100 also comming my way. all I need is time  ;)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #545 on: March 01, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »
Thanks Aksel. And congrats on the Graphic / Aero kit. I too have wanted that combo for some time. When funds permit.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #546 on: March 01, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
Replaced my dead Nikon FE2 with a Nikon FM2 that my sister picked up a few months back for $15. It came with a pretty nice case and a 50mm f1.4. I am testing it right now. It also has a Vivitar 285 which is recycling slowly. I am cleaning the contacts to speed this up. I will use the battery pack from my 283 when I go home. :D

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #547 on: March 01, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »
a Durst M301 enlarger for just 15 euro! Sale included al kinds of development trays, 2 developing tanks, timer, 5 boxes of paper (not sure if still useable, it's been stored in a moist garage), tray warmer,  spare lamps and loads more. I mostly do 35mm so this is a perfect opertunity go and try to make prints, never done that before, so this is step one

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #548 on: March 01, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »
Paper is incredibly tough! I'm using a box bought in 1992 and it's still very good. If it's too foggy, you can add a bit of anti-fogging agent to the dev.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #549 on: March 01, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »

I've had the Blackonet for a little while, but just got it back from a repair of a number of things -- good as new!

And the Rollei is recently acquired from an old friend who wasn't using it and gave it to me.

So I now have two wonderful little 40mm focal length cameras and that (along with 28mm) is my favorite, it's really an extension of how I see.  Anyway, real impressed with the precision of the Rollei (though the meter is way off and the lens won't collapse -- maybe it, like my Canonet, has a bunch of sand inside)