Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 843943 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4550 on: October 28, 2023, 02:49:06 AM »
I couldn't pass on this one, got it for a reasonable price. It came without lenses, but that just means I can choose freely among the 14 or more available sets. I'll probably go for a wide one first, 55 or 65mm. It's nice to have this as a long term project where you can acquire new parts when you feel like it. And there's a lot of accessories as well.

I first found an 80mm lens at an estate sale, then I got a C3 body to put it on.  I  think someone got the camera before I got there but forgot to get the lens.  I have the 65mm wide, I understand the 55 isn't as sharp.  It's a great camera but a bit larger and heavier than the Rolleiflex, which I tend to use more often. 

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4551 on: October 28, 2023, 02:18:59 PM »
I couldn't pass on this one, got it for a reasonable price. It came without lenses, but that just means I can choose freely among the 14 or more available sets. I'll probably go for a wide one first, 55 or 65mm. It's nice to have this as a long term project where you can acquire new parts when you feel like it. And there's a lot of accessories as well.

I have the C33 which I use frequently as a general, have in the van camera and recently bought a 55mm lens and an unused 180mm lens for just over £200 on ebay from the same seller, I'm yet to test them both fully but hopefully when work eases up till Xmas, I can get some portrait shots in.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4552 on: October 28, 2023, 03:10:10 PM »
I have the 65mm wide, I understand the 55 isn't as sharp.
I read that it mostly depends on how old the lens is. The early lenses were sharper than the new ones as they discovered that the camera was mostly used for portraits (and a soft lens is preferred in that case).

Somehow, this made sense to me...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4553 on: October 28, 2023, 05:15:19 PM »

I first found an 80mm lens at an estate sale, then I got a C3 body to put it on.  I  think someone got the camera before I got there but forgot to get the lens.  I have the 65mm wide, I understand the 55 isn't as sharp.  It's a great camera but a bit larger and heavier than the Rolleiflex, which I tend to use more often.

I'm quite used to heavy cameras, so I don't mind. But if I want something smaller I've got the Minolta Autocord. From what I understand the C220 is the lightest of the C series, but the weight will of course vary with the different lenses. I like the C220 for it's mechanical simplicity, the C330 has more features which mean more complex mechanics that can fail.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4554 on: October 28, 2023, 05:20:02 PM »

I have the C33 which I use frequently as a general, have in the van camera and recently bought a 55mm lens and an unused 180mm lens for just over £200 on ebay from the same seller, I'm yet to test them both fully but hopefully when work eases up till Xmas, I can get some portrait shots in.

Hi Irv, it would be nice to see some shots from the 55mm when you get around to it. I'm not in a hurry to purchase lenses, there will be enough expenses before Christmas.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4555 on: October 28, 2023, 05:27:43 PM »
I have the 65mm wide, I understand the 55 isn't as sharp.
I read that it mostly depends on how old the lens is. The early lenses were sharper than the new ones as they discovered that the camera was mostly used for portraits (and a soft lens is preferred in that case).

Somehow, this made sense to me...

If that's the case I shall be looking for the chrome 55mm lenses which are the oldest. There's quite a few on evilbay, but you have to read the description carefully. You get a bit surprised when the ones marked "EXC+4" or "EXC+5" have haze or fungus or both. And then there's the ones that looks like somebody have used a sanding paper on them.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4556 on: October 28, 2023, 07:38:45 PM »
Here's a few shots with the Mamiya Sekor 65mm lens.

Bothell Landing Bridge Reflection by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Ducks at Bothell landing by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4557 on: October 28, 2023, 09:28:24 PM »
Here's a few shots with the Mamiya Sekor 65mm lens.

Very nice, I love the Mamiya MF lenses. I'll probably end up with both the 55 and 65mm lenses.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4558 on: November 03, 2023, 12:28:29 PM »
Here's a shot with the 55mm on Portra 400. Previously posted, early in the year. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the wide lenses, or both. In my case, the 55mm was the first one to show up when I was looking late last year.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4559 on: November 03, 2023, 02:58:19 PM »
Thanks EarlJam, I can't see anything wrong with that shot. I shoot a lot of landscapes, and I don't think a minimal difference in sharpness will be noticed.
Nice camera!  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4560 on: November 03, 2023, 05:36:07 PM »
Thanks EarlJam, I can't see anything wrong with that shot. I shoot a lot of landscapes, and I don't think a minimal difference in sharpness will be noticed.
Nice camera!  :)

Thanks, Kai-san. I bought the C3 used in 1977 at a local camera show: $150 for the body, 80mm and 135mm lenses, and chimney finder (about $750 in current dollars). I added the Paramender a couple of years later. The camera was 11 years old at the time but in spectacular condition, apparently from a wedding photographer who used a grip, as the only wear was on the bottom plate, and it's never needed any service. It took me more than 40 years to get around to looking for a wide-angle lens to complete the set. I'm hoping 120 sticks around long enough for one of my grandkids to take over the system in a few years.

A couple of observations about TLRs: they're ideal for pictures of younger children, particularly portraits, as "waist level" is pretty much equivalent to a child's eye level. And, relative to SLRs like the Hasselblad and Bronica, operation is effectively silent. I had a job once where the client insisted that I shoot with a 500 ELM. I made one exposure, terrified my subjects, and had to stop for the day. I returned a week later with the C3 and 80/2.8, shot a dozen or so rolls in the same environment, put the transparencies into the show with other Hasselblad images, and the client could not see any difference between the two 80mm lenses. 

Re the relative sharpness of the 55mm and 65mm lenses, I'm not convinced it matters much today. We're not shooting Kodachrome or Pan-X now, nor making very large wet prints (at least, most of us). For current emulsions and prints from scanned originals, any differences are going to be very difficult to discern.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4561 on: November 03, 2023, 06:16:13 PM »
Good point about the scanning, most of us do not have access to a drum scanner. I print up to A2 format, and from a normal viewing distance you would not notice anything amiss. Regarding high resolution films, as far as I know the Adox CMS 20 II is the highest resolution B&W film available today. According to the German magazine PhotoKlassik the resolution of this film equals 180 Megapixels in 35mm format. I don't think even a drum scanner can match that.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4562 on: November 21, 2023, 05:15:02 PM »
I was not on the outlook for this camera, neither did I buy it. I accepted it as a partial payment for the sale of a large format lens. I'll give it a spin before I decide if I want to keep it or not. The light meter solution on this camera is quite strange, it works only in auto mode and not in manual. Anyone here who has used this camera?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4563 on: November 21, 2023, 09:11:40 PM »
Never used the QL17, but I know that they are pretty fantastic for street photography. Their shutter is quieter than the ones in the Leica, producing just a discrete click. Their rangefinder and lens can more pretty fast and the auto-exposure all work to speed things up.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4564 on: November 22, 2023, 04:54:05 PM »
Hmmm, auto exposure, isn't that for amateurs?  :D  I'll give it a go anyway and see how it looks. It came with a brand new mercury battery, said to last ten years. Some countries still produce the PX625, this one was Russian. And you're right about the shutter, it's super quiet.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4565 on: November 22, 2023, 11:03:17 PM »
Ir should also work with an alkaline if I remember correctly.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4566 on: December 19, 2023, 01:17:43 PM »
I just received the smallest light meter I have ever seen, the Avigo M-1. It seems to have everything, including cine and EV scale. The metering range goes from 3 to 3200 ISO. It seems to be working fine and it has an adjustment screw underneath. Made in Japan around 1963. I did a search and found that one of these is on display in The Kodak Collection at the National Media Museum, Bradford. Mine came with the original box, instruction leaflet and a tiny leather case, not bad for $25. If you look at the first picture, there is an arrow on the outer ring marked "PR". Any idea what that means?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4567 on: December 19, 2023, 03:38:16 PM »
This has got to be the smallest selenium cell meter ever produced. Heck, it's almost the same size as my TTArtisan which is 60 years younger.

Now that PR label has me thoroughly stumped. Could it be for an accessory that went with the meter?

Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4568 on: December 19, 2023, 04:04:48 PM »
Looks almost identical to the Leica Meter 3.  I think I have a non-working one somewhere. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4569 on: December 19, 2023, 06:08:29 PM »
This has got to be the smallest selenium cell meter ever produced. Heck, it's almost the same size as my TTArtisan which is 60 years younger.

Now that PR label has me thoroughly stumped. Could it be for an accessory that went with the meter?

I've got the TTArtisan meter too, this one is smaller. It measures 35 x 37 x 27mm, the TTArtisan is 40 x 40 x 22mm. Regarding the PR marking, it points to the EV Scale. I found a list of old light meters with specs, it says that this meter has a PolaRoid number scale. I have not been able to find anything about this number scale. It's not on my Pola cameras, but maybe they are too new. When the EV reading is 15 (Sunny 16) it points to the number 6. Does this ring a bell with anybody?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4570 on: December 19, 2023, 08:42:53 PM »

I've got the TTArtisan meter too, this one is smaller. It measures 35 x 37 x 27mm, the TTArtisan is 40 x 40 x 22mm. Regarding the PR marking, it points to the EV Scale. I found a list of old light meters with specs, it says that this meter has a PolaRoid number scale. I have not been able to find anything about this number scale. It's not on my Pola cameras, but maybe they are too new. When the EV reading is 15 (Sunny 16) it points to the number 6. Does this ring a bell with anybody?

It's an exposure value number, this link has tables for the values.  http://www.landlist.ch/landlist/landdata.htm

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4571 on: December 19, 2023, 09:00:15 PM »
I would never have guessed.
I know that some Polaroid Pathfinders had a numeric scale for setting the exposure, a bit like the old Weston meters.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4572 on: December 19, 2023, 09:11:51 PM »

It's an exposure value number, this link has tables for the values.  http://www.landlist.ch/landlist/landdata.htm

Thanks Bryan, that fits exactly with the PR scale of this meter.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4573 on: December 25, 2023, 07:37:10 PM »
Even though we don't have much spare change this year, Santa was pretty good to me. 😊
I just got this really beautiful Macro Rokkor-X 50mm f/3.5 complete with the extension tube that came with it for my old Minoltas.
It's the first time I ever get a macro lens, so I kinda wonder how good it will be.

Now, I just need to find a 57mm UV filter for it...
Does anyone of you have one gathering dust in a drawer?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 08:43:47 PM by Francois »
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4574 on: December 25, 2023, 09:36:49 PM »
57mm is quite an uncommon size, a search on evilbay turned up zero 57mm UV filters. A step up ring from 57mm to 58 or 62mm is probable easier to find and cheaper too if you have a filter in those sizes.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4575 on: December 26, 2023, 03:03:47 PM »
That would make sense.
I'll have to go on the hunt for one.

I wonder why they opted for such an odd size?

EDIT: I just did a bit of research and measuring and the lens actually takes a 55mm filter, but uses a 57mm lens cap (or at least that's what's written inside of it). Weird.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 03:48:31 PM by Francois »
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4576 on: December 26, 2023, 04:58:47 PM »
That sounds more likely, 55mm is quite common. Those caps are not to be trusted, I have caps marked with 55mm that are 52mm. I've got 55mm on all my Zeiss C/Y lenses, but no surplus. If I'm lucky I can find one for $5 here, but usually they are around $10 to $25 for the better ones.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4577 on: December 26, 2023, 05:55:17 PM »
EDIT: I just did a bit of research and measuring and the lens actually takes a 55mm filter, but uses a 57mm lens cap (or at least that's what's written inside of it). Weird.
If that's a push-on cap it sounds correct. It will be the outside diameter of the lens not the inner thread size.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4578 on: December 26, 2023, 11:22:00 PM »
It's the weirdest cap I've seen in a long time as it's a push-on shape with buttons for the thread lock...
But one thing's for sure, it is solid when it's on! I can even lift the lens just by holding the edge of the cap and it won't let go... not that's I'd recommend doing this but it works with this cap.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4579 on: December 30, 2023, 07:49:40 PM »
Rounded out my Leica lenses by getting a really nice Hektor 135mm and an Elmar 90mm.  I should probably stop buying lenses for this kit, I think I have enough. 

Leica IIIf with lenses by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4580 on: December 30, 2023, 09:29:11 PM »
Wow!
That is what I call a nice bit of kit.
I find it rather funny because I just finished reading a book on the Leica Story right before Christmas. Quite interesting to see all the stuff they invented.
The only thing is that it sparked the Leica itch that I had been avoiding scratching for so long... and long story short, being a bit on the broke side these days (what's new 🙄), I instead splurged on a Zorki 6 that I received just yesterday... so I need to put a roll through it to see how good it really is. But from the first look, I think I'm going to be very happy with this cheap Soviet copy. I just need to slightly adjust the vertical double image.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4581 on: January 05, 2024, 09:52:25 PM »
Not as good looking as Bryan's Leica, but far cheaper. This is of course the Cosina CX-1 with a Praktica badge glued on top of the Cosina label. This is how these cameras were sold in Europe. The funny thing is that when these were sold out of East Germany, the same camera with a Porst badge were sold out of West Germany. This one is in very good shape and fully working. And the build quality is very good despite this being the forerunner of the Lomo LCA.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4582 on: January 06, 2024, 06:07:15 PM »
When I was talking about that Leica itch, this is the result.
While it doesn't have the German pedigree, this thing is simply a joy to hold.
While the viewfinder is a bit on the fuzzy side (or it's simply because I need glasses), it's brighter than the Fed 5B. Film advance is buttery smooth and the double image is pretty bright. The ergonomics are spot-on and it's got some strap lugs!

I really like the long base rangefinder they used. It's like a mix between the Contax and the Leica.

And the eagle eyed among you will notice the all important red shutter release I added... It is a Leica clone after all.  ;D
Francois

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4583 on: January 08, 2024, 10:16:37 AM »
A broken Sprocket Rocket was gathering dust, I just converted it to Pinhole Rocket.
I removed the remains of its lens + shutter, Dremel'd the mount then inserted a plastic plate (cut from a CD case) with the pinhole on it. I also glued a step-up ring in front of it, so I can use filters, and a lens cap as a shutter. 30mm focal length with a 0.2mm pinhole from Reality So Subtle.
I am currently shooting a test roll.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 12:35:59 PM by Phil Snaps »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4584 on: January 08, 2024, 01:17:10 PM »
A broken Sprocket Rocket was gathering dust, I just converted it to Pinhole Rocket.
I removed the remains of its lens + shutter, Dremel'd the mount then inserted a plastic plate (cut from a CD case) with the pinhole on it. I also glued a step-up ring in front of it, so I can use filters, and a lens cap as a shutter. 30mm focal length with a 0.2mm pinhole from Reality So Subtle.
I am currently shooting a test roll.

I had one of those, but sold it on since it was little used. The lens was not too bad, but there was some serious fall-off towards the edges. Looking forward to see what you can do with a pinhole version!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #4585 on: January 08, 2024, 08:57:06 PM »
When I was talking about that Leica itch, this is the result.
While it doesn't have the German pedigree, this thing is simply a joy to hold.
While the viewfinder is a bit on the fuzzy side (or it's simply because I need glasses), it's brighter than the Fed 5B. Film advance is buttery smooth and the double image is pretty bright. The ergonomics are spot-on and it's got some strap lugs!

I really like the long base rangefinder they used. It's like a mix between the Contax and the Leica.

And the eagle eyed among you will notice the all important red shutter release I added... It is a Leica clone after all.  ;D

It looks good. I like that it comes with its own fur pillow!  ;)

Is that effectively the same as the Fed 2?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4586 on: January 08, 2024, 09:15:04 PM »
Is that effectively the same as the Fed 2?
In a sense not really as they included a bunch of improvements in this one.
You're supposed to be able to change the shutter speed without first winding the shutter (I won't push my luck that far). And it has a regular film door.
Also, there is a single eyepiece for the rangefinder (like the Fed 2) and a regular wind lever. But no diopter adjustment, something I sorely miss.
The advance is really smooth as I think they used a constricting spring as part of the mechanism (it sure feels like that).

While it looks like the Fed 2, it is a different beast.

Mine was made in 1961 if we can trust the serial number.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4587 on: January 10, 2024, 09:09:18 AM »
I bought a Federal enlarger off ebay, because I wanted something that could handle 6x9 negs and also was cheap(ish). I didn't know how gigantic this thing was! I had come across an old Federal enlarger years ago at a garage sale, and just sort of assumed they were all that size. Spent a night completely disassembling this thing (and chucking some parts in the dishwasher) to get decades of dust out of it, but it works now. Bit odd in that it has a diffusion screen and a condensing lens (according to the manual the screen may be used alone, or paired with the lens) which means I can use it with an LED light without any difficulty. Hope to try it out this weekend.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4588 on: January 10, 2024, 02:40:05 PM »
I bought a Federal enlarger off ebay, because I wanted something that could handle 6x9 negs and also was cheap(ish). I didn't know how gigantic this thing was! I had come across an old Federal enlarger years ago at a garage sale, and just sort of assumed they were all that size. Spent a night completely disassembling this thing (and chucking some parts in the dishwasher) to get decades of dust out of it, but it works now. Bit odd in that it has a diffusion screen and a condensing lens (according to the manual the screen may be used alone, or paired with the lens) which means I can use it with an LED light without any difficulty. Hope to try it out this weekend.

Is that a Commador computer?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4589 on: January 10, 2024, 03:38:06 PM »
Nice enlarger. Federals were built like tanks.
If you look at the label, from memory, it says it was made in Brooklyn.

The computer could be a commodore pet (vertical nameplate is a hint).
But I'm not sure they had a round wrist wrest.

I know it's not a Vic 20 or a 128 as the key layout or color are wrong.
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4590 on: January 10, 2024, 09:49:39 PM »
The computer in that shot is definitely a Commodore Pet, and below it there's the twin 5 1/4" floppy drive unit.
Remember using them at college many many years ago.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4591 on: January 11, 2024, 08:04:16 AM »
Yes, it's a Commodore PET. Recently brought it back home. I bought this years and years ago, back when these old computers were basically just junk, because I thought it looked cool. I sold it in 2010 because I needed to free up some space and making a little $$$ of it seemed like a good idea. I always regretted it. Decided to see if I could find it again, and amazingly not only did I still have an email from the person I sold it to, he still had it, and he was willing to sell it back. I did pay him more than he paid me, but that is only fair considering how much the value of these have gone up during that time, and he threw in the disk drive (albeit non-working) as a bonus, since he has no other computer in his collection that would work with it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4592 on: January 11, 2024, 03:48:00 PM »
That is super cool, especially since there is a bit of a renaissance of the old 8 bit systems these days.
There are even new addons for these old machines that are being manufactured right now.
If you go to the The Future Was 8-bit website (https://www.tfw8b.com/cbm-pet/), you can even get an SD adapter to put on the Pet!
And there are new games being made for it right now.

I'm curious about how much memory yours has?
I know that the lower memory models had actual holes drilled in the PCB where the extra memory would go. Some people even went to the trouble of re-routing those broken traces with bodge wires in order to increase memory.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4593 on: January 11, 2024, 03:58:21 PM »
I should probably upgrade to a Commodore, it would probably speed up my photo editing.  With a 3.5MHz CPU and 1K of RAM, the ZX81 is kind of slow.  Plus, it's getting harder and harder to find cassette tapes to store data on.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4594 on: January 11, 2024, 10:35:53 PM »
I should probably upgrade to a Commodore, it would probably speed up my photo editing.  With a 3.5MHz CPU and 1K of RAM, the ZX81 is kind of slow.  Plus, it's getting harder and harder to find cassette tapes to store data on.

There's a super big community of people who support the Sinclair Spectrum. And there's about a gazillion games made for it.
If you search for Sinclair TOSEC, you will find massive archives of games.
And if you have the 16K extension for it, it's even better.

TOSEC, (A.K.A. The Old School Emulation Center) produces massive gamepacks for all major 8bit and 16 bit systems. So it's the first place to look at for old systems like that.

Personally, I kinda miss my Vic-20 and my C-64...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4595 on: January 12, 2024, 12:30:40 AM »

There's a super big community of people who support the Sinclair Spectrum. And there's about a gazillion games made for it.
If you search for Sinclair TOSEC, you will find massive archives of games.
And if you have the 16K extension for it, it's even better.

TOSEC, (A.K.A. The Old School Emulation Center) produces massive gamepacks for all major 8bit and 16 bit systems. So it's the first place to look at for old systems like that.

Personally, I kinda miss my Vic-20 and my C-64...
My father had several 1980's computers collecting dust.  He lives close to the Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, WA.  They have a club that codes on these old computers.  They were happy to take a few off his hands.  A few others went to Paul Allen's Living Computer Museum in Seattle.  I ended up with the ZX81, I remember how excited we were to be able to type our names on the TV screen. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4596 on: January 12, 2024, 03:25:38 PM »
The big thing with the spectrum was watching the screen border when loading a program to see if things were going smoothly.
Those were the days!
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4597 on: January 14, 2024, 08:32:51 AM »
I saw a variation I haven't seen before and couldn't resist...

Unusual Pilot 6 Camera by Berang Berang, on Flickr

This has the knob-set shutter of the later Pilot 6 cameras, but with a non-removable lens like the early cameras. This is the fifth Pilot 6 in my collection (I actually rediscovered the fourth one a week ago, purchased for parts pre-pandemic, surprised me quite a bit as I had totally forgotten about it). So now I have two with f/6.3 lenses (in 6x6 and 645 formats), two with f/4.5 lenses (both 645, but one with the lever set shutter, and now the one pictures above too), and one with a removable f/3.5 lens.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4598 on: January 14, 2024, 12:42:52 PM »
I saw a variation I haven't seen before and couldn't resist..
This has the knob-set shutter of the later Pilot 6 cameras, but with a non-removable lens like the early cameras. This is the fifth Pilot 6 in my collection (I actually rediscovered the fourth one a week ago, purchased for parts pre-pandemic, surprised me quite a bit as I had totally forgotten about it). So now I have two with f/6.3 lenses (in 6x6 and 645 formats), two with f/4.5 lenses (both 645, but one with the lever set shutter, and now the one pictures above too), and one with a removable f/3.5 lens.

That's a very nice variant, the early ones had such a nice front design. The shutter knob is the same as on my Pilot Super except the text is replaced by an arrow. But the Super has only the release switch on the right side, not the other two switches. It seems like they changed the design and features as they went along without changing the model name. There must be at least a dozen variants, and in addition to the KW Anastigmat lens there were lenses from Laack, Enna and E. Ludwig.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #4599 on: January 14, 2024, 04:58:17 PM »
I saw a variation I haven't seen before and couldn't resist...

Unusual Pilot 6 Camera by Berang Berang, on Flickr

That's very nice. You very nearly had me heading off to ebay, and I've been strong recently!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website