Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 844135 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4350 on: November 30, 2021, 03:31:20 PM »
You're going to have fun with that.
I've got a cheap tasco Newtonian that I plan on mounting on a Dobson mount this winter.
I got the scope for free, so I don't mind putting in some time to fix it up.
I also need to make a better finder mount for it...

Thing is that using it in the winter is just too cold. And in the summer there are too many mosquitoes and the sun sets too late...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4351 on: November 30, 2021, 04:41:14 PM »
Well what do you know, there was just enough break in the clouds last night to at least check where the focusing meets infinity. Way out there! The focusing has 80mm of travel and with a 25mm eyepiece it was extended to 60mm to reach infinity. Probably need to go over the mountains to eastern Washington to find some clear skies….
Already ordered an extension tube for camera use so that will be here in a few days.
So Francois, I’m sitting just about a minute north of 47 and yeah, in high summer doesn’t become dark enough for dim objects till at least 11:30 and the first visual faint glow of sunrise is about 3:30 AM! So unless you are an insomniac the best viewing is spring or fall.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4352 on: November 30, 2021, 05:25:34 PM »
I've been trying to finish a roll of film I started in early October, it's been a very wet fall around here. 
I just recently learned that Seattle is farther North than most of the population of Canada.  72% of Canadians live South of the 49th Parallel. 
https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/canada-seattles-neighbor-to-the-north-nope-better-check-your-map/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4353 on: November 30, 2021, 08:54:53 PM »
I'm at 45°50'
So a bit more southern than you. But since we have a continental climate, much colder in the winter and blistering hot in the summer... all this because of the Great Lakes.

I wonder if I take the telescope out in the winter, will my eyepiece stick to my eyeball?  ;D

But joking aside, since I live so near Montreal, light pollution is a big issue. It used to be that we could see the Place Ville-Marie beacon light sweep across the sky (It's on top of a very high skyscraper) but now you'd struggle to do so. So I'm stuck with doing planetary observation... but I don't mind. I just like to gaze at them in ah.

I do need to print a colimating jig as I know my secondary mirror is way off center.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4354 on: December 18, 2021, 12:01:24 AM »
This is an odd one that I can't find much information on except for some references in scientific research papers.  It's a 100' bulk roll of Kodak spectrum analysis film 5367, no.1, expired 4/1981.  It's a fine grain orthochromatic film for microscopy that has a very narrow band of sensitivity from 250 to 440nm.  Below is information on it from a technical book called "Methods in Lignin Chemistry edited by Stephen Y. Lin, Carlton W. Dence".  I think it will be interesting to use with the microscope and also see what it looks like under normal shooting conditions.  There's no data sheet with it and I can't find one on the internet so I'll have to do some tests to see what the speed is.  Hopefully the film is in good condition, there is a little rust on the can and the tape sealing it shut is coming loose.  When they say it's difficult to handle because of the delicate surface I assume it may be similar to handling X-ray film. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4355 on: December 18, 2021, 02:35:09 AM »
I hope it's not like the expired FP4 I shot a while back where even light squeegieing with my fingers ripped the emulsion straight off! Come to think of it, E4 film is much worse as the emulsion comes off in 68-degree developer without agitation. I think I sent some of that to Adam because I just couldn't deal with it 😂

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4356 on: December 18, 2021, 03:08:03 AM »
I hope it's not like the expired FP4 I shot a while back where even light squeegieing with my fingers ripped the emulsion straight off! Come to think of it, E4 film is much worse as the emulsion comes off in 68-degree developer without agitation. I think I sent some of that to Adam because I just couldn't deal with it 😂

I just put it in a bulk loader and cut a section off to take a look.  Looks like it scratches easily.  The strange thing is it doesn’t look like it has emulsion on it.  Both sides look the same, shiny black.  I’ll load a cassette and do some test shots but I’m not sure how to develop it.  I may just do HC110 dilution B for 5 minutes and see what I get.  Beerenol is also an option but I may try that later.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4357 on: December 18, 2021, 03:33:55 AM »

I just put it in a bulk loader and cut a section off to take a look.  Looks like it scratches easily.  The strange thing is it doesn’t look like it has emulsion on it.  Both sides look the same, shiny black.  I’ll load a cassette and do some test shots but I’m not sure how to develop it.  I may just do HC110 dilution B for 5 minutes and see what I get.  Beerenol is also an option but I may try that later.

When in doubt, I always stand develop. HC110 1:100 for 1.5hrs.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4358 on: December 18, 2021, 02:33:38 PM »
It could be a bit like ortho litho film which is a real pain when it comes down to identifying the emulsion side, especially under the safelight.
It could also have emulsion on both sides but I just can't see why...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4359 on: December 18, 2021, 06:20:21 PM »
It could be a bit like ortho litho film which is a real pain when it comes down to identifying the emulsion side, especially under the safelight.
It could also have emulsion on both sides but I just can't see why...

I think it just has a thin coat on one side but it’s really hard to see.  I know X-Ray film has it on two sides, that’s why it scratches so easily.  I think this is like extreme ortho film. 

I need to remember to not use a UV filter with this film, that would probably give me blank negatives.  I was looking up lens coatings but I don’t think that will have much of an effect.  They are more for reflection and seem to allow all visible wavelengths.  Now all I need is some UV light, it’s dark, cloudy and raining here today, like a natural UV filter. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4360 on: December 18, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
Maybe you should get a black light bulb...
I must admit that it's the first time I see a film in that sensitivity range.
I personally doubt that it wouldn't be sensitive to other colors, it probably would simply be a lot less sensitive.

One thing you could do; since it's sensitive to violet going towards the UV range, you could arrange a series of color swatches and take a picture of each one of them. While I'm sure that the reds and oranges are out of this film's range, maybe the other colors would show a bit of density?

And now, for some reason I don't know I'm thinking about keeping this film until spring to do a series on bees...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4361 on: December 18, 2021, 09:40:56 PM »
Maybe you should get a black light bulb...
I must admit that it's the first time I see a film in that sensitivity range.
I personally doubt that it wouldn't be sensitive to other colors, it probably would simply be a lot less sensitive.

One thing you could do; since it's sensitive to violet going towards the UV range, you could arrange a series of color swatches and take a picture of each one of them. While I'm sure that the reds and oranges are out of this film's range, maybe the other colors would show a bit of density?

And now, for some reason I don't know I'm thinking about keeping this film until spring to do a series on bees...

I think it will work well for microscope photography because it will eliminate some of the chromatic aberration that can be pretty bad in higher magnifications.  It will be interesting to see what it does in normal outdoor shooting situations.  When I shot the photo below on HP5+ I illuminated it with a UV flashlight, I’ll definitely try to do more stuff like that.

Wheat by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4362 on: December 18, 2021, 10:34:49 PM »
One thing's for sure, it was made for microscope use.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4363 on: March 06, 2022, 09:17:30 PM »
I wasn't home from LA more than 5 minutes and my wife wanted to go to an estate sale.  I guess she didn't realize they had a good selection of cameras, she usually tries to avoid sales like that because of my problem.  I found two that I just had to get.  the first one that caught my eye was a Polaroid Model 150 land camera.  This one takes 40 series film so I can use it as a 4X5 one-shot, 4X5 film fits perfectly.  It came with a Polaroid Wink-Light but because of the discontinued 45 Volt battery I'm not sure I will be able to get it working.  I think there is a way to make a battery out of five 9 Volt batteries.  The problem is going through all that trouble only to find out the capacitor is shot.  I'll have to do some research and see if there is a way.

Polaroid Model 150 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

My weakness for Bolex 8mm movie cameras meant I had to bring this nice P2 model home with me.  It needs some work to get the motor running properly but that's something I have done on several of these.  Everything else looks great but I still need to test the light meter.  It's still very usable without the light meter though. 

Bolex Zoom Reflex P2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Lastly, this film came in the mail while I was gone, an eBay purchase.  It's Kodak Graphic Arts Film, Kodalith Ortho Film, type 3, 50 sheets.  It expired January 1979.  Based on this old Filmwasters thread it looks like it could be interesting.  https://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6726.0

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4364 on: March 06, 2022, 09:32:57 PM »
That Polaroid could probably be easily adapted to take 4x5 holders.
Check out this project https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3969849
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4365 on: April 08, 2022, 11:42:06 PM »
Picked up a few items at an estate sale.  I got the Alden 74 bulk film loader for $5.  It has a partial roll of Kodak 5293 which is an old Vision movie film stock.  It has rem jet and needs ECN-2 processing so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.  I should probably run a test strip through a camera and develop it with Rodinal to see if it's been exposed to light.  It feels like less than half the roll is there.  The loader with film was only $5 so it was worth it for the loader, it's a nice one that measures frames and feet/meters of film. 

I also got an Agfa lupe and a Honeywell Tilt-a-Mite flash that looks like it's brand new in the box. Not pictured are two Nikon AR-2 shutter release cables for $0.50 each.  These are really nice ones that work with Barnack Leicas. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4366 on: April 09, 2022, 06:30:12 PM »
Those are nice bulk loaders.
I read that the remjet can be removed using just sodium carbo in hot water. Maybe you should develop it in C-41 and then remove the remjet?
Might be interesting.

Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4367 on: April 09, 2022, 06:38:40 PM »
Those are nice bulk loaders.
I read that the remjet can be removed using just sodium carbo in hot water. Maybe you should develop it in C-41 and then remove the remjet?
Might be interesting.

I don’t do C-41 but I have cross processed Kodachrome as black and white and removed the remjet that way.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4368 on: April 25, 2022, 10:06:33 PM »
I just picked up (Sunday 24th) these five lovely gems, for £5 in total from the local car-boot market:

A pocket size "manual of photography"

An unused roll of Ferrania film, in good box, expired "Gen 1953" - I think this will go into my "too cute to shoot" collection!

Reusable Ilford metal film cassette and can, with roll of developed negatives - these will get scanned at some point to see what's on them...

Box for Ilford FP3 film with roll of developed negatives - and I'll do these too...

An exposed roll of Gevaert Ortho, from who knows when...I developed this roll this evening (Paranol S 1:25, 4 minutes at 20c) and there are some images on the roll...it's still drying and has the worst curl I've seen so far, so I hope it flattens!

Who says Sunday shopping isn't rewarding :D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4369 on: April 25, 2022, 10:39:09 PM »
I just picked up (Sunday 24th) these five lovely gems, for £5 in total from the local car-boot market:

A pocket size "manual of photography"

An unused roll of Ferrania film, in good box, expired "Gen 1953" - I think this will go into my "too cute to shoot" collection!

Reusable Ilford metal film cassette and can, with roll of developed negatives - these will get scanned at some point to see what's on them...

Box for Ilford FP3 film with roll of developed negatives - and I'll do these too...

An exposed roll of Gevaert Ortho, from who knows when...I developed this roll this evening (Paranol S 1:25, 4 minutes at 20c) and there are some images on the roll...it's still drying and has the worst curl I've seen so far, so I hope it flattens!

Who says Sunday shopping isn't rewarding :D

Excited to see what's on the film! 

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4370 on: May 22, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »
I got given a camera recently. It needed some TLC but it's all sound. Balda Mess-Baldix with an uncoupled rangefinder and an Ennagon 75/3.5 triplet lens.

I have a hood and filter combo adaptor for it and have loaded it with Tri-X - just have to wait for a change in the weather.

IMGP0315a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4371 on: May 22, 2022, 08:56:03 PM »
Those little 6x6 folders are so much fun. Light and compact, just perfect.
And the lenses aren't usually bad either.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4372 on: June 11, 2022, 10:18:01 AM »
I recently picked up a Zorki ZK 1:2 f=5cm collapsible lens in Contax mount (incl. a period Zeiss yellow filter) for 40 euros. The lens is from 1949, and what's special about it is the fact that it has Zeiss glass and probably other Zeiss parts as well. This was part of the war reparations after WWII, and this model was issued in a limited quantity in 1949-50. The letters ZK stands for Sonnar Krasnogorsk, and this lens is the forerunner of the Jupiter 8. I've got one already in LTM, it's a very good lens. But some smart alec has replaced a countersunk screw in the bayonet with a pan head screw (see arrow on second picture), so it's not possible to mount it! Luckily I got a tip over on RFF to contact Skyllaney Opto-Mechanics in Alexandria, Scotland. It turns out that they have some of these screws which is either M1.6x1 or M1.8x1 (no wonder it's difficult to find screws for cameras!). I got a reply from the managing director who promised to send me one of each screw free of charge! So thanks to the good people at Skyllaney I can put the lens back in working order. Since I'm of the "old school" I hate to throw anything that can be repaired.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4373 on: June 11, 2022, 02:55:50 PM »
Some people are just clueless and they butcher good stuff in the process.
This reminds me of the time I was shopping for a used car and I saw a beautiful Toyota Echo with the driver side mirror held with three drywall screws  :-\
Francois

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4374 on: June 12, 2022, 05:09:03 PM »
We had a flea market in our part of the town last week and I picked up this beautiful Adox Polomat 1 for 8 Euros. It is in great condition, even the selenium meter is working nicely. Can't wait to put some film through it.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4375 on: June 24, 2022, 01:50:15 PM »
We recently took possession of my father-in-law's camera collection. He died about 4 years ago and my mother-in-law has finally moved out of the family home of 49 years. There was A LOT of stuff to sort through - as you'd expect - and we had to throw away/recycle/give away etc. an enormous amount of it. However, the photography-related kit was only ever going to go to one place  ;) and we've had fun going through the cameras, the collection of mounted slides, the carousel slide projector etc. There were even two very old Paterson 35mm dev tanks that I have added to my existing collection.

I'll post a few photos here when I get time, but there's a mint condition Kodak Retina that I'll happily donate to a good home if anyone's interested in it? Also, my daughter has adopted the Canon SureShot Zoom XL and has been shooting with it on a weekly basis....which, in turn got me back into film wasting again after a long break, so all in all it's been a very successful experience.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4376 on: June 24, 2022, 02:54:44 PM »
Ed, what's the chance I could get first in the queue for your Retina ??
You don't mention the type, etc, but I'll take a chance as those I've had in the past sported very sharp Ektars ... and if it should come to pass I will offer up another camera to further the flow around the group.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4377 on: June 24, 2022, 03:43:42 PM »
However, the photography-related kit was only ever going to go to one place  ;) and we've had fun going through the cameras, the collection of mounted slides, the carousel slide projector etc. There were even two very old Paterson 35mm dev tanks that I have added to my existing collection.
I don't know why but finding a big box of photo gear somehow always brings a smile to your face  ;D

One thing that always brings me back to the older stuff is when you begin to look at how well designed and manufactured a lot of this gear was.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4378 on: June 24, 2022, 04:52:47 PM »
Ed, what's the chance I could get first in the queue for your Retina ??
You don't mention the type, etc, but I'll take a chance as those I've had in the past sported very sharp Ektars ... and if it should come to pass I will offer up another camera to further the flow around the group.

Hi Sandeha, pending approval from my wife that she definitely doesn't want to keep it, the Retina is yours if you want it. I'll go and grab it in a sec and take a photo (because we all need cheering up), so you can see the model number. The other cool thing is that I think we also have the original sales slip from when her Dad bought it.

{Updated with images}

Er, so when I said 'mint' earlier I mean that it would be mint once it had been cleaned. It's a bit dustier than I remembered from a month ago. Anyway, Sandeha, let me know if the IIC is any use to you. See also the original 1960 invoice for the princely sum of £32 + an import fee of £12.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:16:16 PM by Ed Wenn »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4379 on: June 24, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »
One thing that always brings me back to the older stuff is when you begin to look at how well designed and manufactured a lot of this gear was.

This is especially the case with an RF of this vintage. Everything is so smooth still. It's gorgeous.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4380 on: June 24, 2022, 06:52:20 PM »
Er, so when I said 'mint' earlier I mean that it would be mint once it had been cleaned. It's a bit dustier than I remembered from a month ago.

Wow, Ed, that is a remarkable offer, but I am going to pass on it. I realised that I was just being a bit snappish and greedy. Had it been one of the older models I'd have jumped (my dad had an early one), but this looks too good given that I have hardly shot any 35mm for so long. And I was given a camera just last month that I also need to use again.

Still, apologies for my distraction, but this HAS to go to someone who will use it well. It's apparently a IIc - with a small c.
https://retinarescue.com/retina2ctype020.html

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4381 on: June 24, 2022, 09:07:36 PM »
Like "conservative with a small 'c'?"  ;D

No worries at all, Sandeha. I'll post on the Gear board and see if anyone I know wants it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4382 on: June 24, 2022, 09:09:57 PM »
You really should put a roll through it before passing it on.
You might be really surprised. At the time, it was an expensive camera so it's bound to be surprisingly good.
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4383 on: June 24, 2022, 09:53:25 PM »
Indeed, £44 in 1960 is worth £1,079.72 today

According to: https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1960?amount=44

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4384 on: June 25, 2022, 11:20:19 AM »
You might be really surprised. At the time, it was an expensive camera so it's bound to be surprisingly good.

I know what you're saying Francois and I really appreciate the sentiment. I'm also sure it's a fantastic camera, but by now I know a camera that I won't use just by looking at it. My heart says "Keep it, you might use it one day", but my head says, "You have 60+ cameras and this one won't be anywhere near top of the usage list", so I'd rather someone had it who was going to use it. I may take your advice though and use it once.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4385 on: June 25, 2022, 11:22:34 AM »
Indeed, £44 in 1960 is worth £1,079.72 today

Wowza! I know that Jacqui's dad put it to good use. He was a physicist and travelled a lot for his work with various space agencies in the 60s-90s. He took some marvellous photos and was a big user of slide film.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4386 on: June 25, 2022, 02:40:08 PM »
Space, the final frontier...
That is just too cool :)
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4387 on: June 26, 2022, 10:36:42 AM »
I know what you're saying Francois and I really appreciate the sentiment. I'm also sure it's a fantastic camera, but by now I know a camera that I won't use just by looking at it. My heart says "Keep it, you might use it one day", but my head says, "You have 60+ cameras and this one won't be anywhere near top of the usage list", so I'd rather someone had it who was going to use it. I may take your advice though and use it once.

That echoes how I feel, Ed. I did a count last week and I have 37 film cameras (half of them home-made) of which only 2 were bought shop-new, and only a few have been used in the past 12 months. Plus another four cams I gave away last month, to a public darkroom that loans out cameras to their members.

I ran a check on my Chinon CE-3 the other week to see if the meter was up to snuff, and the whole time I could hear my MX saying "Use me! Use me!"

Someone should give that Retina a good home.

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #4388 on: June 28, 2022, 05:22:13 PM »
I recently picked up this gem in the rough. Ive restored a number of these over the years and This one is next. Early 4x5 Auto Graflex, Pre 1916,  with the top that hinges in the front instead of the back. The good news is that the hood and the bellows are both in great shape. Bad news is the shutter curtain will likely need to be replaced. But I'd much rather fabricate the shutter curtain that the hood or bellows. :-)  Hopefully Ive done this right and the images will show up  ::)
We are all just one big solar flare away from being on the cutting edge of technology....LONG LIVE FILM!!

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #4389 on: June 28, 2022, 05:27:50 PM »
Almost forgot...I got this Otto Engineering tripod a couple of weeks ago and restored it. One leg was broken, so I had to repair and fiberglass it, to restore functionality...shouldn't break there ever again ;D   I love wooden tripods and this one is now ready for service... ;)
We are all just one big solar flare away from being on the cutting edge of technology....LONG LIVE FILM!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4390 on: June 28, 2022, 06:07:08 PM »
That Graflex kinda looks like it came out of the Titanic!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4391 on: June 28, 2022, 11:52:43 PM »
Nice work on the tripod, it looks like a nice one.  I'm glad you kept the Fresno Sheriffs markings on it.  The Auto Graflex looks like it will be a challenge. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4392 on: July 01, 2022, 08:56:20 AM »
collodion: that tripod looks fantastic! I have a friend that's into woodworking who's helping me with one I got. I'm looking forward to see how it turns out. :)

Hi Ed! Have you put a roll in it yet? let me know when you've done so and let your heart tell you if you really want to pass it on :)
If that is the case, you can color me interested! I've been hankering for a small, manual 35mm camera since my olympus pen d started acting up (again! >:(). I had a retina way back and still regret selling it. they be proper cameras~
/jonas

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #4393 on: July 01, 2022, 04:47:31 PM »
Thanks guys,
Yeah I just couldn't sand away the Sheriff's office printing. Its what caught my eye in the first place :-)
The Graflex is on the rough side but Ive found denatured alcohol works wonders getting the old leather off the body. It was put on with hide glue and dissolved easily with alcohol  :D   I'm going back and forth between recovering it with leather or multi coats of varnish....OR....Any thoughts? 

Cheers

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4394 on: July 01, 2022, 05:05:18 PM »
Thanks guys,
Yeah I just couldn't sand away the Sheriff's office printing. Its what caught my eye in the first place :-)
The Graflex is on the rough side but Ive found denatured alcohol works wonders getting the old leather off the body. It was put on with hide glue and dissolved easily with alcohol  :D   I'm going back and forth between recovering it with leather or multi coats of varnish....OR....Any thoughts? 

Cheers

If the wood looks nice I would go with the varnish.  If you decide you don't like it later on you can always cover it with leather. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4395 on: July 01, 2022, 08:49:00 PM »
Yeah, varnish does look good and it's super durable, especially if you choose a type that is made for floors.
Francois

collodion

• Aerostigmat
« Reply #4396 on: July 03, 2022, 05:26:35 PM »
OK... Varnish it is :D   
Thanks!!  That makes it easier on me.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4397 on: July 03, 2022, 08:07:53 PM »
The other option would have been oiling the wood with boiled linseed oil, but that's pretty labor intensive.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4398 on: July 04, 2022, 04:22:28 PM »
Two lenses in the post came today. The first a bit ratty but fully functional vivitar 35mm 1.9
I actually thought that it'd be bigger? Though putting it on a zenit might make stuff like that relative  :D

The second is a new normal  for my mamiya m645 1000s as I shot the focusing on the 80mm 1.9
I got it pretty cheap thanks to the fungus. I'll try giving it some sun and see if that helps. I've never actually tried stuff like this before.

Anyone else on here dealing with fungis infested lenses?
/jonas

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4399 on: July 04, 2022, 05:04:21 PM »
If the fungus is not in the center of the lens it will probably give good results.  I've heard putting them in the sun can kill the fungus to keep it from spreading but the etching on the lens is permanent.  I've done it on a few lenses but haven't bothered to monitor mold growth after that.