Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 843877 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4100 on: June 11, 2020, 10:44:31 AM »
I picked up a cheap Bessa L a few years ago. Way back not long after I got my Bessa R3A I'd picked up a 15mm Super-Wide Heliar and the 25mm Snapshot Skopar, but never used them much at the time.

The L's a nice lightweight camera to take out if I plan to use either the 15mm or 25mm, think the last time was just under a year ago

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4101 on: June 11, 2020, 02:26:52 PM »
I've never been tempted to buy a lens that is wider than 20mm, I think it would have seen very little use. I've got a 28mm Orion 15 on its way from Russia, that is a surprisingly good lens and it's also very light weight. But 28mm viewfinders are not very common unless you are prepared to shell out for a Leitz or Zeiss finder. I found a tiny one from Sigma, that will have to do for now.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4102 on: June 11, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
Admittedly I often thought the 15mm was a mistake. the 25mm is more like my wide-angle comfort zone, but 15mm is too much (Voigtlander also did a 12mm but that cost twice as much).
Generally either I need to really work the perspective with it by getting as close as possible, or it needs something strong in the foreground to nail the picture to or you wind up with a shot that's all background.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4103 on: June 11, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »
That discussion brought a hit of nostalgia. I recall Al Kaplan buying a 15mm for his Bessa way, way back, and he clearly had a lot of fun with it. It's hard to find a collection of his shots outside of Photo net as his blog is not so easy to navigate, but this page gives a hint of what he did in his final years.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/and-the-beat-goes-on-more-15mm-portraits-of-al-kaplan-by.198753/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4104 on: June 11, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
Generally either I need to really work the perspective with it by getting as close as possible, or it needs something strong in the foreground to nail the picture to or you wind up with a shot that's all background.

I can only agree with this. For landscapes you need a focal point in the foreground to put things into perspective. The other method is to go very close as I've done on the attached photo taken with the Bessa-L/Color Skopar combination. Al Kaplan seems to have mastered that technique; thanks for the link, Sandeha.

Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4105 on: June 11, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »

I can only agree with this. For landscapes you need a focal point in the foreground to put things into perspective.
That's quite true. The same thing happens with my Tamron 17mm. Since I do a lot of more architectural stuff, I find it handy when I need to fit something really big in the frame.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4106 on: June 11, 2020, 11:58:59 PM »
Generally either I need to really work the perspective with it by getting as close as possible,

I love getting very awkward, super close portraits with my 20mm

(featuring our very own Miguel)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4107 on: June 12, 2020, 06:02:45 PM »
That is pretty close Satish, what's the near focus limit on that lens? I've got a 20mm Zeiss Flektogon in Exakta mount that can focus at 16cm, that might be something for you!  ;)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4108 on: June 13, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
That is pretty close Satish, what's the near focus limit on that lens? I've got a 20mm Zeiss Flektogon in Exakta mount that can focus at 16cm, that might be something for you!  ;)

This is a MIR Flektogon copy! The dial goes down to 18cm, but it taps out just a hair beyond that, so I bet it's 16cm ;)

The sad part of this story is that the lens I have is an M42 mount, and I don't have any screw mount cameras, AND, the M42 > K mount adapter I got, while it works, is IMPOSSIBLE to get off the camera without (nearly) breaking something. [Remember that, Miguel???] So sadly I'm stuck using this beautiful lens with my d*****l Sony camera :(

I purchased a K mount MIR 20mm 2.5, but it close focuses at 30cm, has a bit more barrel distortion than the Flektogon copy, and gives me just a touch of sadness when using it :( (though it is a very useful lens, all told)

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #4109 on: June 13, 2020, 02:17:01 AM »
Generally either I need to really work the perspective with it by getting as close as possible,

(featuring our very own Miguel)

haha those are awesome!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4110 on: June 13, 2020, 02:36:11 PM »

This is a MIR Flektogon copy! The dial goes down to 18cm, but it taps out just a hair beyond that, so I bet it's 16cm ;)

The sad part of this story is that the lens I have is an M42 mount, and I don't have any screw mount cameras, AND, the M42 > K mount adapter I got, while it works, is IMPOSSIBLE to get off the camera without (nearly) breaking something. [Remember that, Miguel???] So sadly I'm stuck using this beautiful lens with my d*****l Sony camera :(

I purchased a K mount MIR 20mm 2.5, but it close focuses at 30cm, has a bit more barrel distortion than the Flektogon copy, and gives me just a touch of sadness when using it :( (though it is a very useful lens, all told)
Get a lensed adapter for Nikon F mount. It's sturdy and surprisingly easy to remove. I got a cheap one off eBay and it's definitely not bad. I did a comparison between a Takumar and the kit zoom that came with my cheap DSLR and couldn't tell the difference when I got the exposure matched.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4111 on: June 13, 2020, 11:43:40 PM »

Get a lensed adapter for Nikon F mount. It's sturdy and surprisingly easy to remove. I got a cheap one off eBay and it's definitely not bad. I did a comparison between a Takumar and the kit zoom that came with my cheap DSLR and couldn't tell the difference when I got the exposure matched.

How will a F mount adapter help? I don't have any F mount cameras  ???

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4112 on: June 14, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »
Maybe while using an adapter on an adapter?
As long as there's only one lens in the optical path it's going to be ok.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4113 on: June 20, 2020, 11:16:23 PM »
In a moment of weakness and a serious bout of GAS I broke down and got a Primo-Jr.  Not that I needed it, I have a Rolleiflex Baby.  This is on par with the Baby in build quality but it has a faster lens.  I like the shutter speed and iris controls better on the Primo, more like a Rolleiflex Automat.  Another difference is the crank winder, not that I have a strong preference either way, it does make it about 1cm narrower than the Baby.  Otherwise the dimensions are almost identical.  The viewing screen on the Primo is brighter.  This one is in excellent condition and everything seems to function properly.  Won't know for sure until I get a roll of film in it. 

Primo-Jr by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4114 on: June 20, 2020, 11:57:47 PM »
I have one of those! The build quality is really impressive

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4115 on: June 21, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »
I actually got this Voigtlander Vitessa a while ago but haven't shot it much as I've been struggling to adjust the rangefinder. I got it but the set screw loosens on its own so I got some loctite. Also, the shutter wouldn't always cock when I pushed the plunger but it just needed some oil in the external mechanism.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4116 on: June 21, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »
In a moment of weakness and a serious bout of GAS I broke down and got a Primo-Jr.  Not that I needed it, I have a Rolleiflex Baby.  This is on par with the Baby in build quality but it has a faster lens.  I like the shutter speed and iris controls better on the Primo, more like a Rolleiflex Automat.  Another difference is the crank winder, not that I have a strong preference either way, it does make it about 1cm narrower than the Baby.  Otherwise the dimensions are almost identical.  The viewing screen on the Primo is brighter.  This one is in excellent condition and everything seems to function properly.  Won't know for sure until I get a roll of film in it. 

Beautiful camera, Bryan! I wouldn't mind one of those myself, except that it is 4x4 format. What kind of film do you put in a 4x4 camera these days?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4117 on: June 21, 2020, 07:01:15 PM »

Beautiful camera, Bryan! I wouldn't mind one of those myself, except that it is 4x4 format. What kind of film do you put in a 4x4 camera these days?

https://filmphotographystore.com/collections/127-film

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4118 on: June 21, 2020, 08:26:24 PM »
Personally the only thing that would have put me off is that 127 film. I did make a slitter so I could re-spool 120 film but never attempted to do the transfer.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4119 on: June 21, 2020, 10:06:22 PM »

https://filmphotographystore.com/collections/127-film

Or www.macodirect.de (just search 127).
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4120 on: June 21, 2020, 10:28:04 PM »
I know Rollei Retro 80 used to be available in 127 too... I don't know if it still is.

Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4121 on: June 22, 2020, 02:45:43 AM »

[/quote]

I have a few 50’ bulk rolls of 127 Ilford HP5+ that I got from their ULF sale.  I also have a 100’ bulk roll of Konica 160 Color film in 127 format plus various expired 127 rolls.  I re-use backing paper and cut down my own from 120 paper.  I built a rig to make spooling it easy.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8655.msg132964#msg132964[/url]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:51:24 AM by Bryan »

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #4122 on: June 22, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
Hookstrapped: the Vitessa is a wonderful camera. I took mine to Italy one New Year and I think I gave it frostbite - the plunger/film advance mechanism broke and I regretfully sold it. But I'm on the look out for a replacement. While obviously not as small as the Rollei 35, it fits into a winter coat pocket and I loved the results it produced. I miss it and I'm annoyed that I broke it.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4123 on: June 22, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »

I have a few 50’ bulk rolls of 127 Ilford HP5+ that I got from their ULF sale.  I also have a 100’ bulk roll of Konica 160 Color film in 127 format plus various expired 127 rolls.  I re-use backing paper and cut down my own from 120 paper.  I built a rig to make spooling it easy.

[/quote]
I'd really like to see what that rig looks like.
I'm thinking of a simple plank with a frame, but yours might be better than that.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4125 on: June 22, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »

I'd really like to see what that rig looks like.
I'm thinking of a simple plank with a frame, but yours might be better than that.
[/quote]

This is where I posted about it before. http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8655.msg132964#msg132964

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4126 on: July 03, 2020, 12:44:50 AM »
I actually got this Voigtlander Vitessa a while ago but haven't shot it much as I've been struggling to adjust the rangefinder. I got it but the set screw loosens on its own so I got some loctite. Also, the shutter wouldn't always cock when I pushed the plunger but it just needed some oil in the external mechanism.

Well, took it out for a test and the rangefinder is accurate, but I discovered a glitch where I get inadvertent double exposures

The plunger, which both advances the film and cocks the shutter, sometimes doesn't pop back to its fully extended position so when I push it down I'm cocking the shutter without advancing the film. Actually, I like the results. I've wanted to get into doubles but didn't know how to go about it -- I overthought it. This does the trick without any thought.

https://www.hookstrapped.com/album/voigtlander-vitessa-potsdam

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4127 on: July 03, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
Think I had the same problem with my Vitessa doing double-exposures. I've not used it for a while as since I lost the knob on the end of the plunger (it came unscrewed) it's really hard to use.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #4128 on: July 03, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
The plunger is a definite weakness - although I love it for its uniqueness. In the process of giving my Vitessa frostbite (see above), I too got double exposures, or worse, the shutter stayed open and it was just a blurry mess. Great idea, poor execution. Perhaps that's why they moved to a more conventional transport mechanism.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4129 on: July 03, 2020, 02:41:38 PM »
I don't know how these are made on the inside but I would be tempted to add just a drop of sewing machine oil on the plunger and working it in. If it stays stuck because of friction on the tunnel it would probably fix it.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4130 on: July 03, 2020, 02:45:09 PM »
The thing is, now I don't want to fix it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4131 on: July 03, 2020, 09:20:23 PM »
There is something sometimes for malfunctioning cameras that gives then a certain charm, especially when they are reliably unreliable.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4132 on: July 05, 2020, 01:21:34 AM »
a local second hand place opened recently after being closed for a long while and I nabbed this nice Nikon FM and russian fisheye. I tried the fisheye with an adapter on my trusty Minolta XD-7 but with the adapter the lens wasn't screwed in the proper orientation (ended up at maybe 1/8 of a turn off) and part of the lens shows in the bottom right and top left corner.

so naturally I had to but a Zenit again.  ;) as a bonus i got a Domiplan f:2.8 50mm that actually can focus (these notoriously get gummed up)

now that I have a working Nikon... I think I'll continue my search for a classic f:2 50mm.  ;D
/jonas

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4133 on: July 05, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »
Mine is more of a case of found rather than picked up as my wife got it in amongst a job lot of stuff years ago from an auction.
Bilora Bella 66 is a lightweight 6x6, 2 apertures f8 & f11 with shutter speeds of 50,100,bulb and a synch port. It's scale focus with 3 distance markers, so it's basically a bit more controllable Holga with a better lens. It is pocketable if you have big pockets. I'll most likely keep it as a travel camera -if we ever get to travel around freely again, I posted some shots with it in the weekend thread.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4134 on: July 08, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »
Not sure how this was stored over the past 62 years but it's still sealed in the tropical packaging.  I've had good luck with film sealed in tropical packaging so maybe I can rate it a little above an ISO of 0.4. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4135 on: July 08, 2020, 02:04:05 AM »
Point Oh-Four .... wow  :o

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4136 on: July 08, 2020, 02:42:37 AM »
Point Oh-Four .... wow  :o

If you figure one stop per decade.  I’ll probably shoot it closer to 5.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4137 on: July 10, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
I went on a buying spree last weekend. In addition to the cameras below, I bought about $150 worth of expired 120 film :-\

These cameras are kind of "replacement" cameras ... I do have a Contax T, but I've damaged it beyond repair (I've asked a few Contax experts and they've refused to repair it based on my description ... basically I dropped it and a bunch of functions aren't working). The Pentax is a Super Program, which is essentially the same as my beloved ME Super, except that it meters up to 3200 (very useful when I'm shooting at 1600 and want to shoot at -1EV), and it has a DoF preview, which I've always missed. The one problem with this one is that a half-press doesn't display the shutter time ... a full press trips the shutter and the speed appears briefly, so it seems there's just a loose electrical contact somewhere, but again my normal Pentax repair guy refuses to fix it because it's electronic :'( I'll see if I can figure something out (do not advance film after shooting/compose new shot, fully depress shutter button/observe shutter speed/advance film/shoot?)

The lens, and also the winder and a non-working flash, came with the Pentax. Does anyone know a good use for a 70-210 zoom lens? I figure it's good as a blunt bludgeoning object, but I'm not a very violent person. Maybe I could glue it to a piece of wood and make a small side table?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4138 on: July 10, 2020, 02:57:33 PM »
Well, the zoom could be useful for socially distanced street photos. Or maybe in a "room with a view" (see Hitchcock reference) type of scenario...
As for the Pentax, you could try and put some contact cleaner down the shutter button...

On that zoom, if it's a really crappy one, you could also try and remove the front element. This is supposed to turn them into a super macro lens.

Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4139 on: July 10, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »
Hey Satish, if you want to get rid of your dead Contax T let me know. I probably can't fix it, but I might be able to salvage the lens and set it up for my thread mount Leicas.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4140 on: July 10, 2020, 06:29:48 PM »
Hey Satish, if you want to get rid of your dead Contax T let me know. I probably can't fix it, but I might be able to salvage the lens and set it up for my thread mount Leicas.

Once I run a test roll through this one, the old one is yours. Gimme your address.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4141 on: July 11, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »

Once I run a test roll through this one, the old one is yours. Gimme your address.

Thanks! Sent you an email with the address.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4142 on: July 15, 2020, 06:28:07 PM »

sounds cool! have you done much of that before? I have a lomo fisheye that I'm hankering to convert to screw mount for my fed 2
/jonas

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4143 on: July 15, 2020, 06:37:51 PM »

sounds cool! have you done much of that before? I have a lomo fisheye that I'm hankering to convert to screw mount for my fed 2

I've done a couple of conversions (see here: https://filmosaur.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/lens-hacking-made-easy-praktica-m60-26mm-f5-6-to-leica-thread-mount/ and here: https://filmosaur.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/lens-hacking-made-easy-not/ ) and have ideas for a couple others - a Rollei 35 (probably a Triotar, since I've got a busted B35 here), for one. Never really considered the Contax due to price, but if one falls into my lap I'm more than happy to give it a try. Probably be a good match for a small Barnack body.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4144 on: July 15, 2020, 09:16:12 PM »
I've done a few conversions. Not really hard most of the time but you have to be precise with the measurements in order to get infinity focus.
I use metal body caps for the M-39 cameras. Lens reversal rings for the SLR's.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4145 on: July 22, 2020, 08:45:35 PM »
Found a ZOMZ Orion 15, 28mm f6.0 from around 1978 in good shape, these are possibly the best wide angle lenses from the Soviet era (have not tried the Russar yet). But prices are escalating as more people are becoming aware of it. Here shown with an Avenon 28mm viewfinder.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4146 on: July 22, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
Wow!
These are expensive!
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4147 on: July 23, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »
I purchased mine from a Russian seller on evilbay, I paid twice the price of the cheapo Bessa L. The Russars sell for twice the price of the Orion 15 again, but I cannot use them on the Bessa. A good 25mm Snapshot Skopar doesn't come any cheaper than the Orion, and would look totally out of place on my old communist rangefinders.  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4148 on: July 30, 2020, 01:28:41 AM »
2 deliveries in one day! It's like Christmas in July! ;D

1. Replacement Contax T. I'm on, umm ... Contax T number 5? maybe 6. Each one has had problems and I've been able to return them. This time I took the smart approach and paid full market price (came out to $555 all told) instead of trying to cheap out at sub-$400. Seems to have paid off. This one is super clean, and everything seems to work (except the flash). Gonna throw a test roll through it, wish me luck.

2. Some random desert-stored Svema 90 film. Gonna try shooting a roll at 50 and see what happens.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4149 on: August 21, 2020, 10:14:39 PM »
For the time being I'm on vacation and like always spend it on a farm in northern Norway which I took over after my parents died. It's quite a long journey, it takes 26 hours by train. And more important, it is quite heavy to bring 3 to 4 cameras with a number of lenses every year. So I have started to station some of my collection here to avoid this exercise. I've already got a Polaroid 600SE with a large number of accessories to cover most medium format needs. This year I'm leaving behind my Nikkormat FTn although I only had two pre-AI lenses, a 50 and a 24mm. Just before leaving for my vacation I found two Nikkor lenses at a good price, a Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8 and a Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5. They arrived here yesterday and they look like new, even had the original clear plastic bulbs that these were sold in (you can just see them behind the lenses). Both came with the original lens hood marked Nikon F. And I just love the old Nikkors that are still labeled Nippon Kogaku.  :P
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki