Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 844067 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3800 on: June 08, 2019, 12:47:10 AM »
The Kinoflex is a rebranded Halina Prefect, made from about the mid 1950s till the mid 1960s.

As for your Flek, I have a suspicion the soft release is messing it up some how. It doesn't need one anyway since you have to push the release button about three yards before the shutter fires anyway.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3801 on: June 08, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »
Nope, it's the the same without the soft release. Strictly not necessary, but more comfortable and easier to locate the shutter button while looking into the viewfinder. No problem anyway, shooting wide open in macro mode is rarely a good idea.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3802 on: June 08, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
I wonder if the button is not set right. Those have two positions, one for automatic operation and one for manual operation and the button clicks into place for either setting (I think you have to push and rotate it). I'll have to dig mine out and take a look (TBH haven't used it much because I prefer the meyer/pentacon 3.5/30)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3803 on: June 08, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
Ok, so here's what I found out. The late model Flek has automatic exposure compensation for macro focusing. That is, if you set the lens to a given aperture, it will automatically open the aperture further when you get into the close focus range. However, since f/2.8 is the maximum aperture it cannot compensate (since there is no more "room" to open the diaphragm further) so instead it locks f/2.8 out when you set the lens to the minimum distance. Pretty clever but not exactly intuitive.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3804 on: June 08, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
Thanks Flippy, you're absolutely right. It opens up 1 -2 stops, not easy to see with such small apertures.  I'm new to these lenses, so this is very valuable information.  Good to be on a forum with such knowledgeable people!  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3805 on: June 09, 2019, 12:08:10 AM »
New additions:

Topcon which is surprisingly huge and heavy. Small amount of fungus in the lens, but should clean up easily. Camera mostly works, shutter caps at speeds over 1/125 so I need to clean it.

The Exa... I told my self no more Exas! But this one is special...

That's the 211th Exa off the production line! Unfortunately it is missing the 1/250 top speed engraving for the shutter. I suppose it may have been sent back to the factory for service and the original top plate swapped out - which lowers its collector value by something like 75-90% (they only made the first few hundred cameras with the 1/250th top shutter speed, then lowered it to 1/150th - there's no mechanical difference that I'm aware of, just how the shutter was calibrated and how the top plate was engraved).

I actually probably won't shoot with it. The covering material is intact, but loose/fraying so I think it's going into the display case to stay. I stuck an early Schneider Jsogon lens on it (broken aperture blade, so also probably never going to be use) and they look good together.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3806 on: June 09, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
My guess is more that the 1/250 wasn't reliable so they made. Covers with shorter slots to prevent that speed from engaging, thus fixing the problem.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #3807 on: June 11, 2019, 10:30:24 PM »
I finally purchased a Schneider Angulon 90mm ƒ/6.8, the correct lens for my Travelwide 4x5! I was using a borrowed Ilex-Calumet Field Caltar 90mm f/8 and it was making the camera super front heavy. Now it's lighter than most of my 35mm cameras :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3808 on: June 11, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »
And these Schneider lenses are super good.
I have one but the previous owner was a company where an idiot employee cut the pin to activate the shutter release.
But in the up side I got it in a huge box full of other stuff for 40$
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3809 on: June 11, 2019, 10:44:07 PM »
I just checked back a little.  I paid £67 for my Angulon in 2005 - not a museum piece but fully functional and clean.  I think mine may have been a company lens too, as someone had scratched a monogram on it.

That's 14 years ago - have prices gone up a great deal or are they broadly similar today, 16mm?

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3810 on: June 12, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
...... a Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f4.0 for the Exakta. Never had a 20mm macro lens before, but this one focuses down to about 10cm. Oh, and a book.........
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3811 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:08 PM »
That's a brilliant lens and camera combo, Kai. The book is about abandoned Soviet places, isn't it?

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3812 on: June 12, 2019, 08:15:28 PM »
Thanks CS1! Yes, the book is about abandoned and decaying Soviet and Eastern European institutions / buildings. Beautiful and sad at the same time.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #3813 on: June 12, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
I just checked back a little.  I paid £67 for my Angulon in 2005 - not a museum piece but fully functional and clean.  I think mine may have been a company lens too, as someone had scratched a monogram on it.

That's 14 years ago - have prices gone up a great deal or are they broadly similar today, 16mm?

I got mine for $130 on ebay and it's in pretty good condition. Right after the Travelwide 4x5 hit prices on these lenses spiked--one of the reasons I settled for a much heavier borrowed lens--but they seem to have gone back down since then.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3814 on: June 12, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
Yes, the book is about abandoned and decaying Soviet and Eastern European institutions / buildings. Beautiful and sad at the same time.
I really find it sad to see that they left such fantastic architecture simply fall apart. For a modern architecture fan, it's a sin to do that.
They even had architects build cool space age bus stops!
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3815 on: June 12, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »
I took a chance on this guy and everything looks to be in good shape. The shutter was stuck, but I n we that before buying it. The seller included a card because I had tried to tell her as nicely as possible that her initial price of $800-900 was too high for its condition and that it’d need a ~$500 service. Initially she took offense, but after about a month, she had a camera shop inspect both of her Rollei’s and adjusted the price and description accordingly.

After it arrived today, I set it on the dash of my car for a couple of hours and the shutter freed up enough to get speeds as slow as 1/8 (I didn’t want to push it). I still plan to service the shutter myself, but I may wait until the shutter starts having issues again.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3816 on: June 13, 2019, 07:14:16 PM »
The 2.8 Rollei is every bit the equivalent of a Hassy. I kinda regret selling mine. 

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3817 on: June 13, 2019, 07:52:55 PM »
Can’t wait to run a roll of film through it. Once it hit room temp, the shutter started acting up, so I did a quick service on it and cleaned the lenses while I was in there. The front leather didn’t cooperate when I pulled it and the rear leather has a couple of cuts in it, so hugostudio.com is sending me a replacement in black. I had sort of wanted to go non-traditional on it, but couldn’t decide on one.

Speaking of Hasselblad’s, I’m thinking of selling my 500C that sits because I use my Bronica SQ far more frequently.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3818 on: June 13, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »
1956 Kiev 2a and Jupiter 8 50mm/f2

I love the thumbwheel focus, the very bright and clear rangefinder, and the near silent shutter. Actually got a '57 from Fedka but it would sporadically stop advancing film so they replaced it with this one. So far so good.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3819 on: June 14, 2019, 02:45:00 AM »
Ever since you stopped buying from eBay I can no longer dissuade you from buying way too much equipment  :(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3820 on: June 14, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »
 :-X :D
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3821 on: June 15, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
Picked up this one on a street market this morning, the Polasonic Autofocus 4000. You can choose between Sonar autofocus and manual focus, and it uses SX-70 film. I love the colours!  :P
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3822 on: June 15, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »
Kai, some of those plastic One-Step style polaroids like the one you have are actually better cameras, as far as features go, than the SX-70 models except for the fact that they don’t fold flat.  They also have an electronic flash that attaches to the yours so you don’t have to find expensive flash bars. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3823 on: June 15, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »
Thanks Bryan! I have already tested it with the Mint flash that I use for the SX-70. There is little info to be found on this model, but I found a user manual for a similar one. It says that the socket behind the flash contact is a "socket for a future accessory". I wonder what that was, but I don't think it ever materialized. It also has a cable release socket, but no tripod mount! It feels very solid with a nice bit of weight.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3824 on: June 20, 2019, 03:04:38 AM »

ISCO Westron 3.5/35 - cheapy lens, should be fun.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3825 on: June 20, 2019, 05:44:42 PM »
Congrats Flippy, that looks like a very nice specimen. I was in fact looking for one of those a few weeks ago, but I could not find any for sale so I got the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm instead. Some Isco Westron owners says that it has very good optics, hope you will share some shots taken with it.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3826 on: June 21, 2019, 02:02:29 AM »
The Flektogon is a better lens in every respect, hands down, no contest.

I have an M42 3.5/35 Westron that is the older style with the "Zebra" barrel. It has entirely different optics than this plastic version, and is a decent performer (but still not Flek). This plastic version is more of a toy lens, it's very glowy wide open. There's also a 2.8/35 Westron which is quite good, but for the money, I'd still rather have the Flek.

I also have the 4/24 ISCO Westrogon, which is fine lens - but HUGE and HEAVY.

I have very little use for it though.  ;D

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3827 on: June 21, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
Ah, I see now that yours is probably a later model. There is one 3.5 that was launched in 1958 that has metal housing, possibly that is better.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3828 on: June 21, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
I had to pick up another Contax G1 body since the one that I bought a couple of weeks back was faulty. Because I bought it outside of the auction site, there was no way for me to fight the dude, although I did speak to the moderators and admins of the website and they will add him to the "Scammers" list.

Basically, the body wouldn't focus at distances of 1-3 feet and the focus motor would vibrate and whirl like a cordless drill. Every other shot was out of focus, even after replacing batteries, cleaning contacts, etc. I just received the new body one hour ago and I popped batteries and film, shot a test roll around the house and developed it, and as far as I can tell holding the negatives against the sun, no out of focus shot at any aperture.

Hopefully once I scan them they are in focus like I expect them to be, otherwise, I'll get rid of the Contax for good  :D :-\ :'(

UPDATE: WORKS LIKE A CHARM. SHARP EVEN AT F2. Very pleased with this.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:57:57 PM by MiguelCampano »
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3829 on: June 23, 2019, 07:35:28 PM »
....... too many cameras? Ok, but the Plaubel Makina IIS is a thing of beauty. :P This came with 3 lenses, an Anticomar 100mm f2.9, an Anticomar 100mm f4.2 and an Orthar 73mm f6.8. Shown here with a Rada 6x9 roll film back and focusing screen. Not shown is a leather case with twelve cut sheet film holders that can also take 6.5x9 glass plates. So today I shot a roll of 6x9 and four dry plates. As you can see from the glass negative there are some issues; handling of the plates, film holders with light leaks, possible bad exposure/developing and not least the ability of the photographer to hold the camera straight.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3830 on: June 25, 2019, 08:09:55 AM »
OK - so the Makina IIS may have the odd problem - but just look at it! It's such a keeper! And it sounds as if you have all the extras too. Great buy.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3831 on: June 26, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
Thanks Zaps! You are quite right, it's just a few niggles that has to be sorted out. Otherwise the camera is in good shape, the rangefinder seems quite accurate and the shutter timing too. No regrets!  ;)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3832 on: July 26, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »
So, I had returned a lens to KEH because it had a faulty shutter (80mm Bronica 2.8 lens) and they sent me a replacement, which FedEx lost on transit. They just shipped ANOTHER replacement, however, I got an offer to work alongside a friend on his photography business and had to pick up a DSLR, so I got a Nikon D600 full-frame and a couple of lenses.

As for the Bronica, I also ordered a prism finder since it makes it a bit easier when taking portraits, as well as a "speed grip" to hold it while using the prism. We'll see how that goes  ::) :P

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3833 on: July 27, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »
Picked up an Oly OM-10 for 15 euros at a street market today. I took a chance; the exterior looked nice, very clean lens, but it did not have batteries. On closer inspection the mirror fixture is loose on one side, the shutter is not working. Not worth repairing, but still I think the lens alone is worth the 15 euros. So now I have two options; replace the lens bayonet for a Nikon F mount (loss of auto aperture) or get a "new" body that works. The bayonet replacement will cost about the same as a nicely used body so that's a rather easy choice. I was thinking about maybe getting an OM-4 body, but it's 350g heavier! I could put a winder on the OM-10 and it would be the same weight as the OM-4. I found the lightness of the OM-10 very attractive.
If any of you need parts for an OM-10, give me a shout. It's free of charge!  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3834 on: August 08, 2019, 03:20:59 AM »
Another 127 camera, the Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic, also know as The Soldiers Camera.

Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3835 on: August 08, 2019, 10:41:33 PM »
Another Pentax in the house. I have my late mom's ME Super and it works, but just barely, so I bought a spare.
Currently has the f/2 lens, but I have a f/1.7 m that I'll be using.
These cameras are small and they just work.
This will let me give my K1000 a well deserved rest.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3836 on: August 09, 2019, 09:03:19 PM »
So,

I sold the Contax G1 with the 45mm Zeiss F/2 lens. I loved the camera but didn't see myself expanding into the system and buying more lenses, etc. It was fun while it lasted.

I also sold the Canon Elan 7 and 50mm 1.8 that I had since 2017, as my new DSLR is Nikon and it doesn't make sense to have two different systems that are just not compatible with each other.

Lenses
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

I picked up these two lenses. One is a Nikkor 135mm 2.8 AIS, which I am very familiar with since it was my first telephoto back in Venezuela when I was in high school, using a Nikon FM2. the other is an old but trusted Nikon 50mm 1.8D. Got them both from KEH in "ugly" condition for less than $100. The telephoto has a small scratch on the front element, which doesn't affect the quality at all. I shot it all the way up to F/32 and nothing was visible. The 50mm 1.8 is perfect.

I also picked up a Nikon N90s, with an almost pristine body, a 35-70 Nikon kit lens, and strap and whatnot for $30 shipped, so once it arrives tomorrow I'll be happier.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3837 on: August 13, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
I found this at a rummage sale over the weekend for $10.  It's a Watson 66 with a roll of Tri-X which I'm sure is expired.  I still need to do some testing on the film to figure out what speed to shoot it at.  I developed a quick test in beer but that's not a good developer for Tri-X so I'll shoot another bracketed test and develop in Rodinal.  I haven't opened it but it feels like there's a lot of film in there.  The loader was in the original box with instructions, it's in excellent condition.  I currently have 5 bulk loaders with film, 3 with Tri-X (2 expired), one with Ilford PanF 50 and one with Panatomic-X.  I think I may have enough 35mm black and white film to last the rest of my life. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3838 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:19 PM »
YAY!
I just love finding full bulk loaders.
I still have a few rolls of free HP5 (not HP5+) to get through.
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3839 on: August 16, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
Now there's a funny thing. On a recent Ferrania thread I mentioned the one time I did a kickstarter for something, it never showed up.

Except now it has. I guess if there's a fine day next week I may have to buy a pack of Instax Mini and give it a test run. Given the difficulty of making the base lay flat and the lens board stand perpendicular, I'm expecting plenty of inadvertent tilt effects.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3840 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
While it might be far from perfect, it does look really cute.
Too bad there wasn't more wood and metal in the construction....
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3841 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
Well, that look was not in the slightest bit jolly. Checked, double-checked, triple-checked, that the board was flat and the lens board was vertical, followed instructions to the letter, and every single shot was way out of focus at any setting.

What a waste, should probably rip out the plastic and metal bits then throw the rest in the cardboard recycling bin for next week!

That's the last time I go in on a kickstarter.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3842 on: August 21, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »
The way I see it, the film mechanism is probably good. And the front standard is probably decent. The problem lies in the cover and focus mechanisms.
I would turn it into an unclosable camera. Take a piece of wood and glue it permanently to the bottom. Attach some L brackets to the front standard to keep it parallel. Make some tracks in the bottom part so that it tracks good. Adjust the focus using the old Instax cassette and some vellum (make a makeshift groundglass) and put some marks on the chunk of wood. Use some binder clips to prevent the front from moving once focus is achieved.

That type of mod.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3843 on: August 21, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
You could replace the lens with a pinhole.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3844 on: August 22, 2019, 04:54:02 AM »
Some people use the instant back of the jollylooks and adapt it to something else. :)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3845 on: August 22, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »
I'm currently enjoying my vacation here in northern Noway, and discovered there's a new second hand shop in the little town near by. Had to check it out of course, and came out with an Exakta macro bellows complete with copy stand + a double cable release.
The shop is run by two elderly guys, and when this lot came in one of them said to the other: Throw it away, nobody wants this stuff. But the other guy refused and said that somebody would pick it up sooner or later. And he was right!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3846 on: August 26, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »
Some people use the instant back of the jollylooks and adapt it to something else. :)

Been thinking about this and what might work would be to take out the bellows/lens assembly, make a small hole in the front/baseboard and put a pinhole on the inside, then close that and seal it up. Rig something up to cover the hole then that'd give me a compact instax pinhole to play with.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3847 on: August 30, 2019, 03:33:57 AM »
Catching up on my "just Picked Up" inventory over the past few weeks.  Each camera was $15 or less. 

Kodak Duaflex IV, this one had a partially exposed roll loaded in it so I figured I would at least get a few shots off, maybe a few found photos and two 620 spools out of the deal.
Kodak Duaflex IV by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This one made me blush a little when I zoomed the lens out, not sure if I can fully extend it in public.  Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 170.
Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 170 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Cosina CX-2.  Had to read the instructions to figure out how to open the lens.  Nice little camera with a wide lens.
Cosina CX-2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Konica C35.  I still need to go over this one to figure out if it's working.  It does need new light seals.
Konica C35 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3848 on: August 30, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »
The Olympus made me laugh. I have a Pentax with a similar appendage, the funnier thing is that it's an Espio. I can just imagine a spy using this (in French the word for spy is espion)
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3849 on: August 30, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
On my morning walk this morning I decided to get a guava cream cheese pastry at the Cuban bakery before heading home and look what I found on the sidewalk next door

Bell & Howell Model 1552B 16mm projector. Man, it's heavy but I wasn't far from home fortunately. The only question was whether it worked...

Yup.  8)

(My fellow scavenger was thrilled that they also left beer brewing supplies out for the taking. Everyone was happy!)