Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 843868 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3750 on: May 10, 2019, 12:49:33 AM »
A box of 120 Kodak NC film, it's a bit out of date but I think it will be ok.  It's "Non Curling" so I won't have to worry about curl like you do with other expired films.  It says on the other side of the box "for No. 2 Brownie Cameras and No. 1 Kodaks".  I guess I'll have to put it in my No. 2 Brownie.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3751 on: May 10, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
One thing's for sure, it won't be as speedy as it used to be.
As for that"non curling" statement, I wonder if it's like those"wrinkle resistant" shirts?

BTW, make sure to keep that box. It's really nice.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3752 on: May 10, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
Yashica always made some food lenses.

Looks like Leica did too ;D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3753 on: May 10, 2019, 04:28:41 PM »
One thing's for sure, it won't be as speedy as it used to be.
As for that"non curling" statement, I wonder if it's like those"wrinkle resistant" shirts?

BTW, make sure to keep that box. It's really nice.
There's no information on the original speed of this film but there is some speculation that it was around 25 or 30.  If I cut the speed in half for every year since it expired that would put it at an ISO of about 0.1.  I have a feeling the "non-Curling" claim went out the window when the film expired. I'll keep the box, I have a few old ones but nothing that old.   

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3754 on: May 10, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »
A box of 120 Kodak NC film, it's a bit out of date but I think it will be ok.  It's "Non Curling" so I won't have to worry about curl like you do with other expired films.  It says on the other side of the box "for No. 2 Brownie Cameras and No. 1 Kodaks".  I guess I'll have to put it in my No. 2 Brownie.

I'd be very tempted to do the research, pack some paragraphs together, a couple of nice close ups, and put it on eBay. You could probably get a double 6-pack of Acros out of the proceeds.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3755 on: May 10, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »

You gotta love autocorrect :)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3756 on: May 10, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »

I'd be very tempted to do the research, pack some paragraphs together, a couple of nice close ups, and put it on eBay. You could probably get a double 6-pack of Acros out of the proceeds.

I'm more interested in the challenge to get a usable image with it.  First I need to check it in a dark bag and make sure the backing paper hasn't turned to dust and the tape is still holding.  There are people asking over $100 per roll for various formats of NC film but that's where I bought this one for $18, so good luck to them. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3757 on: May 10, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »

You gotta love autocorrect :)

You guys are making me hungry. 

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3758 on: May 11, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »
Pentacon FM

with its steampunky shutter speed dial -- a bit of a PITA TBT, but it's fun to watch it spin round on slow speeds. These cameras are notorious for pinholes in the shutter curtain but liquid electrical tape fixed it up and after a CLA by Leonid in New Jersey the viewfinder, with its split circle (which I really need in my current shallow DOF phase), all clean and the shutter speeds up to snuff, it's a pleasure to shoot. The shutter makes a satisfying airy THWACK and the vibration seems minimal -- maybe because the mirror doesn't return. That wouldn't help handheld stability, I guess, since it's after the fact but it does help explain the pinholes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3759 on: May 11, 2019, 02:10:46 PM »
If you avoid pointing it at the sun it shouldn't create any more pinholes.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3760 on: May 11, 2019, 02:18:18 PM »
I think the problem is created by the fact that the mirror remains up after a shot until you advance the film. So you had people walking around on sunny days with the camera hanging from their necks, leaving the shutter curtain susceptible to focused sunlight. I understand it's a problem with the Leica III cameras, as well.

So I'll use other cameras if I'm looking for flare and I'll be sure to point it down and advance the film immediately after every shot.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3761 on: May 11, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »
It's a problem with all Leicas, Fed, Zorki, Kiev...
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3762 on: May 12, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
As mentioned a couple of weeks back, a Canon F1N came home with me after a stop at my local shop. It's been joined by some lenses that complement those in my Pentax system, since I've never had anything longer than a 100mm or a lens with macro capability. The 200/2.8 is a handful, but with the winder the camera balances pretty well, and I needed something long-ish now that my grandchildren are starting school and getting involved in sports.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3763 on: May 12, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
Pentacon FM

…. These cameras are notorious for pinholes in the shutter curtain but liquid electrical tape fixed it up and after a CLA by Leonid in New Jersey the viewfinder, with its split circle (which I really need in my current shallow DOF phase), all clean and the shutter speeds up to snuff, it's a pleasure to shoot. The shutter makes a satisfying airy THWACK and the vibration seems minimal -- maybe because the mirror doesn't return. That wouldn't help handheld stability, I guess, since it's after the fact but it does help explain the pinholes.

To minimize the potential for shutter pinholes, I carry my Leica "backwards", camera over my shoulder with the lens toward my body. I think that might have been something my dad taught me when we had the Exakta, which also lacked automatic mirror return.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3764 on: May 12, 2019, 05:16:58 PM »
As mentioned a couple of weeks back, a Canon F1N came home with me after a stop at my local shop.
That's a fantastic kit, Earl. The F-1 looks like it's in an almost pristine condition. Lots of people seem to like cameras that show some brass because it makes the impression that the body has a history. I perfectly understand the charm of the brass, however, I prefer cameras that look like they haven't been used much because chances are that the shutter doesn't have a lot of mileage. So I guess I would've been able to resist your F1N had I seen it at a shop. :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3765 on: May 12, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »
I kinda like to brass the cameras myself...
My old Nikon F-601 has developed a specific shine on the corners, and it's just plastic.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3766 on: May 12, 2019, 09:21:29 PM »
As mentioned a couple of weeks back, a Canon F1N came home with me after a stop at my local shop.
That's a fantastic kit, Earl. The F-1 looks like it's in an almost pristine condition. Lots of people seem to like cameras that show some brass because it makes the impression that the body has a history. I perfectly understand the charm of the brass, however, I prefer cameras that look like they haven't been used much because chances are that the shutter doesn't have a lot of mileage. So I guess I would've been able to resist your F1N had I seen it at a shop. :)

Thanks, Christian. Yes, the camera and lenses are in very good condition. The shop also had a couple of Canon F1N 1984 Olympics commemorative bodies, but I prefer to have cameras that I can use without worrying about "lost investment value".

I've had good luck with used purchases over the years, particularly with gear previously owned by pros who take care of their equipment. My Hasselblad, for example, came from a studio photog who made his living with the camera before his customers started demanding the instant gratification of digital. It was 15 years old when I got it and it looked like it had just come out of the box. Unless I know the photographer personally, or there's some significant provenance or backstory, I've found that visibly worn equipment is typically just worn out and hasn't been well maintained. Pristine condition, or close to it, seems to be a pretty reliable baseline for decision making.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3767 on: May 16, 2019, 05:56:19 PM »
Three rolls of Kodak HIE High Speed Infrared film, expired 12/2008.  Someone was selling this on Photorio for $15/roll.  They said it has been stored frozen in a lead bag since it was new.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3768 on: May 16, 2019, 09:53:55 PM »
At least they knew how to properly store it in order to minimize fog...
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3769 on: May 17, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »
Inspired by the Kiev 10 Automat thread I didn't find a Kiev at the right price, but found what looked liked a decent Zorki 10. Never-ready case in decent condition, a bit of 'leather' finish peeling in one corner but easily glued down, but a ludicrously short strap.
Selenium cell meters are a weak link, but on looking through the viewfinder the needle moved in what looked like an appropriate manner as i moved from indoor shade to outdoor sunshine, so that seemed to be working.
So earlier in the week I went out and shot a film. After a few shots I heard an unpleasant tearing sound. I carried on and yesterday developed it.

Six black rectangles (In one I could just make out a little detail if I held it up to a lamp), and the rest of the film blank. The penultimate black rectangle had slight damage to sprockets, and the sixth had ripped holes. "Dang!" or words to that effect.

Now it could just have been I was a bit too abrupt winding on and had I been more gentle with it the sprockets wouldn't have ripped. The sprocket wheel does seem a bit stiff and maybe some of that old Soviet lube is gungy so things aren't as smooth as they were.

Looking through the back of the camera while firing the shutter and pointing the lens at a sunlit area, I also noticed the aperture was wide open. While setting the aperture manually seems to work OK so it's not jammed. Given the light meter needle is moving as it should, my guess is that the gubbins which uses the light meter to control aperture and shutter speed is broken/stuck.
Set the aperture manually and shutter speed is 1/30th of a second (kind of like an Olympus Trip in that respect, only much heavier), which would almost be workable apart from the whole film failing to advance problem.

Still, it's very pretty in a kind of brutalist way.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3770 on: May 17, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
Pretty!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3771 on: May 17, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
Sorry to hear this AJ, it's otherwise a very nice looking example. The meter on mine is a bit off, for 100 ISO films I have to set it to 320 ISO. The film ripping is a bit worse, as you say it could be stiffness due to old lubricants. Maybe some lighter fuel in the right spot could help. I have not had this problem with my Zorki 10, but on other Communist cameras this will happen if the film is too tense. Always leave a little slack to the film between the film canister and the sprocket wheel.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3772 on: May 21, 2019, 05:34:26 PM »
I like the looks of that Zorki 10. It's kind of punk sleek..not sure what that means really.

I just bought a Pentax Pino 35 while looking for something else on that evil auction site.
This always happens when I go looking for a specific camera and the "you might also like this" window pops up.
I have a weakness for Pentax glass and this little (cute/ugly) box is fixed focus, not often seen and seems to be the perfect vacation camera for just goofing around with.

It'll arrive next week, so hope to have some photos to share soon.
 8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3773 on: May 21, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
That looks like such a funky little piece of plastic :)
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3774 on: May 22, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
Speaking of funky pieces of plastic...

my new Action Tracker, brought to you by the venerated camera brand Field & Stream. I don't expect I'll be using it for its intended use of capturing the action as a big one is reeled in, but I hope to make some goofy gifs with it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3775 on: May 22, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »
These are always fun and surprisingly reliable.
The only thing with my first one is that the shutter sequence is really fast.

Strangely though I'm pretty sure that if Warhol was still alive he would have used one :)
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3776 on: May 22, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »
Pentacon FM

Re the rotating shutter speed dial, came across this explanation... (Contax S is the original model, which gave way to the D and F and FM; because of copyright reasons, export models for sale outside of East Germany were branded Pentacon)

The timing system in the Contax S is highly original, and considerably more complex than these earlier designs. In the Leica and Exakta, the timing of the high speeds involves no clockwork but is a simple function of the rotation of the shutter feed spool, operated by the force of the shutter drive springs; timing accuracy, then, is a function of shutter curtain velocity. For slow speeds in each case, a gear train is introduced to delay release of the second curtain: in the Leica, the power to overcome this resistance still comes from the curtain springs, while in the Exakta a separate timing spring must be manually wound up for each shot. In the Contax S, shutter timing is totally separate from the curtain springs, and a clockwork, driven by its own spring, governs the shutter at all speeds. As is the case in the Leica and Exakta, there is a distinction between fast and slow speeds; in the case of the Contax S, however, this does not involve “switching in” a separate gear train. Shifting to the “slow range” setting couples to the escapement rocker a long pendulum, to which a small weight is attached, adjustable by means of a set screw (while a godsend for repair and adjustment, the real reason for the Contax S’s unusual adjustment facilities is probably that the engineers, in their headlong rush to meet the deadline, didn’t know the proper settings until the camera was already in production, and so had to require hand adjustment of each camera on the assembly line). The addition of this pendulum to the rocker slows its oscillation by about a factor of 50:1 – thus, the position of 1 second at the “slow” index is identical to that for 1/50 in the high range. The relationship does not hold exactly as the speeds go up, probably in compensation for inertia at the highest speeds, so that the 1/20 setting corresponds to 1/500 rather than 1/1000.

An interesting effect of the independent timing mechanism is that it doesn’t stop running when the shutter closes. Each winding sets the mechanism to run its full course, a 360˚ rotation of the visible-but-internal speed dial, in either 1/50 or 1 second, depending on the speed range in use. (The last few degrees of rotation occur upon removal of the finger from the release button, thus providing the “B” setting.) This extra travel isn’t noticeable in the high range where all speeds sound pretty much alike anyway, but in the slow range at, say, 1/20 second, the timer buzzes along for another 19/20 of a second after closing the shutter. It can be a bit disconcerting for your subject.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-148.html

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3777 on: May 22, 2019, 07:24:07 PM »
........ it shouldn't be allowed to tempt people with such beautiful cameras!  ::) The Exakta Varex IIa arrived in the post today, complete with two viewfinders and a Zeiss Biotar 58mm f2.0; everything in perfect working condition.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3778 on: May 22, 2019, 07:29:45 PM »
Rear Window !

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3779 on: May 22, 2019, 09:03:16 PM »
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3780 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:04 AM »
Zeiss f2! Sounds perfect
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3781 on: May 23, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »
The Biotar 58/2 is one sharp lens.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3782 on: May 24, 2019, 02:16:35 PM »
So...

I have the opportunity to grab some expired paper. Agfa Brovira/Portriga, Kodak and Oriental. Since I don't know the expiration date or much about using expired papers, is there a rule of thumb about it? I have printed on expired Ilfobrom, from 2007 I believe, with decent results, but nothing from the 90s or 80s.

Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3783 on: May 24, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
No rule of thumb there since you do test prints.
If it's a bit fogged, use some anti-fog.
If it's definitely fogged, it can react well to lith developing.
If it's definitely fogged beyond recognition, use it to do some solarprints or something like that.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3784 on: May 26, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »
I found this at an estate sale this weekend for $0.50, it has some good information on film, developing and printing.  This is a 1970 version.  I always grab these types of guides when I see them, I'm starting to get a pretty good library going. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3785 on: May 27, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »
These were always cool.
I remember that they made some green and some red ones. I think the green ones were for color enlarging...
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3786 on: May 27, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »
Last weekend was a city-wide garage sale day, so I did my annual pilgrimage to the world of consumer society leftovers and insane deals.
I got a few things I need to clean-up and fix, but among them was this beautiful Konica Z-Up 120VP. It used to belong to the family of a local actor who plays in various dramas. Not very important in my mind as it's just some job they're doing. But where the interest lies is in the exposed roll that was in it. I just hope I didn't fog it too much when I cracked the back open... Can't wait to process it  ;D

Funny thing is when I asked his kids if the camera worked, one of them told me "gimme a buck for it and if it doesn't work just throw it off the roof of a tall building."
So... another 1$ camera to add to the collection :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:10:06 PM by Francois »
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3787 on: May 27, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »
Ok, it's no secret that I have a thing for Konicas. But really, that camera is "objectively" a pretty camera. :) I'm glad that you picked it up for 1$, I bet it's a brilliant piece of kit if you want to travel light.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3788 on: May 27, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
Probably is quite nice. I just need to find a lanyard for it as it's missing on the one I have.
Francois

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3789 on: June 06, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »
Well,

Sold my Fuji GS645s. I liked the camera, super lightweight, etc, but wasn't using it as much as the Bronica for MF. As soon as the funds hit my account, I bought this for the exact amount of money I sold the Fuji for:

Untitled
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

A Contax G1 with the 45mm F/2 Planar. Everything works, no fungus, haze, malfunctioning LCDs, etc. The seller put in a fresh set of batteries and threw in some of the filters, plus overnight shipping, for free.

I'm going to test it out this weekend in NYC.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3790 on: June 06, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »
Great catch, Miguel! Looking forward to seeing the first shots with the G1! :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3791 on: June 06, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »
Those were definitely NICE
Francois

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3792 on: June 07, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »
Thanks! Definitely pretty excited. I have a roll of Tri-X loaded on it.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3793 on: June 07, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
Great catch. Lovely camera. Never owned one but everyone I know who has / had one said only good things. The 21mm, 28mm and 90mm lenses are also excellent.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3794 on: June 07, 2019, 06:12:47 PM »
As I'm doing a lot less in the way of 35mm on film, these days, I decided to trade my Leica gear for a camera I've wanted for many years.  I've still got my OM3 and a Rollei 35T though. This is what I picked up - mint minus and boxed with everything aside from the instruction manual. 

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3795 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:42 PM »
Filter + hood, I thought it would fit my Pilot 6, but it doesn't. It does however fit the Kinoflex.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3796 on: June 07, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »
As I'm doing a lot less in the way of 35mm on film, these days, I decided to trade my Leica gear for a camera I've wanted for many years.  I've still got my OM3 and a Rollei 35T though. This is what I picked up - mint minus and boxed with everything aside from the instruction manual.

That’s a very fine thing.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3797 on: June 07, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »
That's a fantastic camera, good pick, Paul. Will you be bringing it tomorrow? :)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3798 on: June 07, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
Wow, lots of nice stuff; a G1 and a Rolly! Love the Kinoflex Flippy, how old is that?
I picked up a 1975 model Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f2.8 for the Exakta. It focuses down to 18cm according to the lens markings, but in reality the front glass is around 10cm from the subject when in focus. As far as I can see it's close to 1:1! The strange thing is that if it's set to f2.8 when you move to close-up focus, it automatically shifts the aperture to f4. And it's not possible to move it back to f2.8 before you back up to around 0.5 meters.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3799 on: June 08, 2019, 12:01:02 AM »
That's a fantastic camera, good pick, Paul. Will you be bringing it tomorrow? :)
Maybe...... ::)