Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 843960 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2050 on: October 25, 2015, 11:43:50 AM »
I couldn't resist....

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2051 on: October 25, 2015, 03:12:41 PM »

I couldn't resist....

What a beauty! I really have to get the bellows replaced on my Isolette. I think these old folders are works of art in themselves.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2052 on: October 25, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »

I couldn't resist....

What a beauty! I really have to get the bellows replaced on my Isolette. I think these old folders are works of art in themselves.

They really are, though each in their own way. Voigtländer really took it to the highest level, at least based on what I've seen. My Bessa II is finished to an astonishingly high degree, and the attention to detail is incredible. How that relates to its picture-taking ability is an entirely different question, of course.

Too bad about the bellows on your Isolette. From what I've seen those Agfa bellows are often problematic.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2053 on: October 25, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »
From what I've seen those Agfa bellows are often problematic.

Always.  But then again (IMHO) among folders they developed the best lenses with the best coating.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2054 on: October 25, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »
From what I've seen those Agfa bellows are often problematic.

Always.  But then again (IMHO) among folders they developed the best lenses with the best coating.

Really? I've read some positive things about the Solinar, but I never got the impression they were that much different from a lot of similar contemporary lenses. I've never used them, so I have no first-hand experience. What is it about them that you like so much?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2055 on: October 26, 2015, 08:03:21 AM »
Really? I've read some positive things about the Solinar, but I never got the impression they were that much different from a lot of similar contemporary lenses. I've never used them, so I have no first-hand experience. What is it about them that you like so much?

I've had a number of Voigtlander and Zeiss folders from the late forties and early fifties, including some very sharp triplets like the Novar, and I'm not knocking any of them.  But the 1950s 3 element Apotar and 4 element Solinar lenses appear to have a coating that is more resilient and better adapted to flare than any of the others.  Not bench tests, just good old subjective impressions.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2056 on: October 27, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
Hi!
The Enna Haponar of my Hapo 66-E is a sharp and contrasty lens ...

Regards

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2057 on: October 27, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »
02pilot, you want a UV filter for it? I think I have one that may fit it that I will never use.

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #2058 on: October 27, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
Just taken delivery of a lens reversing coupler, 'cos I want to try some extreme macro.
And some ND filters (including a 10 stop), 'cos I want to try some sloooooow speed seascapes.

Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2059 on: October 27, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »
02pilot, you want a UV filter for it? I think I have one that may fit it that I will never use.

Sure! It's a 37mm press-fit.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2060 on: October 27, 2015, 08:25:20 PM »
Let me check and see. I know its press fit. Let me see if the box has its size. If it works for you, it's yours.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2061 on: October 28, 2015, 12:45:17 AM »
box says:

Zeiss Ikon
Ikocolor C
Skylight Filter
S 27 - 20.1000

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2062 on: October 28, 2015, 12:52:26 AM »
box says:

Zeiss Ikon
Ikocolor C
Skylight Filter
S 27 - 20.1000

I think that's a 27mm filter, which would be too small for any of the cameras I have that use slip-ons. Thanks for the offer - maybe someone else can use it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2063 on: October 28, 2015, 02:24:56 AM »
no problem. Someone better speak up quick because nick nacks are going to the trash since im moving next week.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2064 on: October 29, 2015, 06:14:56 AM »
You can't have too many Nikonos, can you?

(I guess maybe more than one Nikonos are Nikonoi?)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2065 on: October 29, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
Yesterday I picked up this beauty at the post office! Only 17€ in customs. ;) Now I need to figure out where to get film holders and how much they cost ...

Wanderlust Travelwide by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2066 on: October 29, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
Yesterday I picked up this beauty at the post office! Only 17€ in customs. ;) Now I need to figure out where to get film holders and how much they cost ...

Wanderlust Travelwide by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Urban,

That looks nice.

Mr Cad has loads of standard 5x4 double-sided holders and he's as cheap as I've found (mainstream) - certainly in the UK. 

The other thing to consider is a Graflok "Grafmatic".  I'd never heard of them before Sandeha showed me the one he uses in connection with his Tutone.  I bought one from USA - via the big auction site - and it allows you to load 6 sheets into individual holders.  Once leaded, you shoot and then "wind on" until all sheets used - without the need to change the unit itself.  Not sure if they'll fit the Travelwide but perhaps worth an email to find out.

http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/Graflex%20Holders/index.html

Are you intending using as a pinhole or do you have a lens?  If you need a lens, a friend of mine has an Angulon 90mm f6.8 for sale (or he did as at last weekend).  Let me know if of any interest.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2067 on: October 29, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »
Mr Cad has loads of standard 5x4 double-sided holders and he's as cheap as I've found (mainstream) - certainly in the UK. 

I couldn't find any on Mr Cad right now but I'm sure there are many sites that have them. What's a good price for one? I have no idea at all how expensive they are.

Are you intending using as a pinhole or do you have a lens?  If you need a lens, a friend of mine has an Angulon 90mm f6.8 for sale (or he did as at last weekend).  Let me know if of any interest.

I will eventually buy that lens too as it's so compact. But for now I have to decline as I don't have the funds.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #2068 on: October 29, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
Yesterday I picked up this beauty at the post office! Only 17€ in customs. ;) Now I need to figure out where to get film holders and how much they cost

Glad it arrived safely Urban, I wasn't changed anything by customs. It was a bit cheeky to charge you as surely the money was to back the project with the camera as a reward. Pity you don't live nearer as I could have given you a couple of old darkslides to get you started.
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2069 on: October 29, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
Glad it arrived safely Urban, I wasn't changed anything by customs. It was a bit cheeky to charge you as surely the money was to back the project with the camera as a reward. Pity you don't live nearer as I could have given you a couple of old darkslides to get you started.

That's Germany for you! If it says that it's worth $100 on the box then you get charged customs. But I wasn't really unexpected.

And how much do you think shipping to Germany would be? I would probably be cheaper than buying darkslides locally and having them shipped, too.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2070 on: October 29, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »

It says right on the instruction manual ... "NICONOSII" ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2071 on: October 29, 2015, 02:54:57 PM »

What lens do you have on yours?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2072 on: October 31, 2015, 01:44:44 AM »

What lens do you have on yours?

The stock 35/2.5, which is darned sharp and not underwater-only:

20140824-026 by Jack Johnson, on Flickr

The stock lens is working fine, but I put the non-dinged, black lens from the V on it, and now can't stop humming "Back in Black" when I walk around with it. ;)

Are you in need of a lens?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2073 on: October 31, 2015, 06:23:33 AM »
1. That is incredibly sharp! Almost too sharp for my tastes ;)

2. I basically can NEVER stop singing Back In Black in my head. That could possibly be the best bass line ever.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2074 on: October 31, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
So with a heavy heart I said goodbye to my Mamiya RB67 to finance a really nice Pentax 67. Got it in Amsterdam @ secondhandcamera, which was well worth the 3 hours by train. The big plus over the RB67 is that this is a little bit less heavy and has the coupled meter which saves me getting out my iPhone for everyshot and using the lightmeter app. It's also more easy carrying it around then the RB67. Already shot a roll of provia in A'dam that I will post in the weekend thread.

And while I was in Amsterdam I took the time to see the Magnum contact sheets exhibition over at Foam. A real must see it ever turns up in a
exhibition hall near you. With every contact sheet you can read the whole story behind how the photo was taken, a real eye and mind opener.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2075 on: November 06, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »
Just picked up a Konica Autoreflex T3 SLR with a Hexanon 50mm f1.7 and a Hexanon 200mm f3.5 + a Vivitar flash for 45 pounds. I was lucky and got the rarer model T3 with split prism viewfinder. It's a heavy camera but it can be used without batteries, which is a bonus. Konica made so many wonderful lenses, I'm looking forward to trying these out.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #2076 on: November 07, 2015, 12:52:22 AM »
I bought an Olympus Infinity Stylus Epic. $1.50  :D

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2077 on: November 07, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
Flee market success! £6 for two brand new in the box (phillips 66 give aways at some point) Mju-1. Already go half a roll of Portra 800 trough one of them the other one will serve as a back-up to my other Mju back-ups. I`m a Mju man.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2078 on: November 07, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »
Nice find, Aksel. I always liked the look of those cameras, but I've never owned one.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2079 on: November 08, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
Nice find, Aksel. I always liked the look of those cameras, but I've never owned one.

Thanks zapsnaps. If you are into something low cost, compact - full auto with image quality not much short of a Contax T3 you can´t go wrong with the Mju  ;)   Also got a "fill flash" mode and it´s spot on all the time.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2080 on: November 08, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip - I'll add the Mju to the list of 'essential additional cameras' required. Together with the Contax T3 - I don't own one of those either, but I love the finish on the Contax bodies. Not that it improves the quality of the snaps - there are just nice to hold
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2081 on: November 08, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »
November 1953 issue of US Camera, Complete Photo Equipment Guide.  It lists all the cameras and equipment available in 1953.  I love the quirky cameras that came out in the 1950's and this is a great reference for them.  It also lists the 8mm movie cameras and projectors.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2082 on: November 09, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »
November 1953 issue of US Camera, Complete Photo Equipment Guide.  It lists all the cameras and equipment available in 1953.  I love the quirky cameras that came out in the 1950's and this is a great reference for them.  It also lists the 8mm movie cameras and projectors.
nice! I guess that'd be good source for adding some info to camera-wiki :)
/jonas

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2083 on: November 09, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
6 film holders (with a padded bag that takes 5) for 29€ including postage. Now I just need some film and I can give the Travelwide a try!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2084 on: November 10, 2015, 03:03:05 AM »
I picked up this Brownie Hawkeye a few weeks ago at an antique store in California for $9.50.  It was a little scuffed up so I let my wife pick the colors and gave it a new paint job.  I'll keep the lens flipped in this one, I also have a very nice flash model that I will keep stock.  This is one of the early models that will take a 120 spool without any modifications. 

Orange Brownie Hawkeye by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2085 on: November 10, 2015, 03:26:50 AM »
Awesome paint job Bryan!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2086 on: November 10, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »
way coo, bryan!

This is one of the early models that will take a 120 spool without any modifications. 

is there a way to distinguish one from the older by otward appearances?
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2087 on: November 10, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
I picked up this Brownie Hawkeye a few weeks ago at an antique store in California for $9.50.  It was a little scuffed up so I let my wife pick the colors and gave it a new paint job.  I'll keep the lens flipped in this one, I also have a very nice flash model that I will keep stock.  This is one of the early models that will take a 120 spool without any modifications

Nice color scheme... Looks a bit like a school bus :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2088 on: November 10, 2015, 02:02:28 PM »
way coo, bryan!

This is one of the early models that will take a 120 spool without any modifications. 

The metal winding knob and non-flash model, but that's no guarantee.  I'm not sure when they made the change so it's best to open it and look for the tabs on the spool holder.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2089 on: November 10, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
way coo, bryan!

The metal winding knob and non-flash model, but that's no guarantee.  I'm not sure when they made the change so it's best to open it and look for the tabs on the spool holder.

There's got to be a CAMEROSITY code inside there somewhere. That will give you the month/year of manufacture.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:55:34 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2090 on: November 10, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
I love free film!!! My lovely brother emailed me asking if I would like 30+ rolls of panF from the '90s (may or may not have been cold stored)! Plus a mitt full of Kodachrome for when I get that time machine built.  I have not processed any yet (as life is busy) but it is in the to do list. I am excited by this find as I bet pan f ages well. It always seemed to me to have lots of contrast and that with the low ISO means it could be sweet. I am not sure what I will do with the Kodachrome (assuming time machine plans fall through).
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2091 on: November 10, 2015, 05:27:50 PM »
Don, just caffenol that Kodachrome!

http://www.lomography.com/photos/19390887
Flickr
Blogger

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2092 on: November 10, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »
Don, just caffenol that Kodachrome!

http://www.lomography.com/photos/19390887

Yay for the miraculous powers of coffee, thanks for the tip James! I was considering trying one just for fun in HC-110 (the dev I normally use) but I figured it would be a pain with the remjet. I will certainly give caffenol a try with it.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2093 on: November 11, 2015, 01:07:34 AM »
way coo, bryan!

There's got to be a CAMEROSITY code inside there somewhere. That will give you the month/year of manufacture.

For some reason this camera doesn't have the CAMEROSITY code, unless I just can't find it.  I have looked over the camera pretty good while I was taking it apart.  It's definitely not in the same spot as my Hawkey Flash.

A quote from this site:http://www.singletonphotography.com/vintage-camera-modern-look/

In the early 1950s, Kodak figured out that people were able to fit 120 film in the Brownie Hawkeye, so they added metal tabs to the film holder. If your model has these tabs, just bend or flatten them. I believe they changed the film wind knob from metal to plastic at the same time. (If you see a Brownie Hawkeye with a metal knob in decent condition, grab it.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:58:09 AM by Bryan »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2094 on: November 11, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
I swear I don't have GAS. But what can you do when this stuff is free? And yes that's a manual focus Nikon lens on the Canon.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2095 on: November 11, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »
thanks for looking into it though, bryan :)

now if you'll excuse me just briefly as I faint from all that lovely pan f~ ;D
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2096 on: November 11, 2015, 09:05:06 AM »
Urban, is that the 50E (the one you can focus with your eye - just by looking through the viewfinder)? I had the use of one of those not long after they came out. Solid enough camera but I could never quite get the hang of the focusing thingy....

Interesting that someone's adapted a Nikon lens for the front of it.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2097 on: November 11, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
Urban, is that the 50E (the one you can focus with your eye - just by looking through the viewfinder)? I had the use of one of those not long after they came out. Solid enough camera but I could never quite get the hang of the focusing thingy....

Yes, that's the 50E. It has quite a few buttons and dials ... I may need to actually read the manual for this one. I do have a Canon EF 50mm so I'll give the eye focus a try. Let's see if that's something that could work for me.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2098 on: November 11, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »

Yes, that's the 50E. It has quite a few buttons and dials ... I may need to actually read the manual for this one. I do have a Canon EF 50mm so I'll give the eye focus a try. Let's see if that's something that could work for me.

Thought it was.  Actually a decent camera and probably down to my dodgy eyes and high presecription spectacles that I couldn't get the eye focus working.  Also possible that I wasn't operating it correctly as I didn't have the manual.... :o

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #2099 on: November 11, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »
Ive tried a few times on my EOS 3 to get eye focusing to work, it does to a point but never very well

Having said that, since i fitted a split screen i mostly use manual lenses anyway