Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 844190 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2000 on: October 10, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »
This is the time to call Terry and McDuff!

But yeah, I would take it for a spin if you have money for the film.
It can be processed with the "spaghetti bucket" technique. As for reversal, you can try and DIY using the strange peroxyde bleach formula http://www.filmlabs.org/docs/citric-hydrogen-peroxide-bleach.pdf

But since this is double-8 film you'll need for that camera, you'll also need to make a film slitter. Thing is on these, you expose one half of the film. When it runs out, you flip the spool around and expose the other half.
You'll also need spools to wind the film on when it's done.

Or you can look on the filmlabs.org site for a place that will process and transfer it to DVD for you.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2001 on: October 10, 2015, 11:05:29 PM »
There are actually 8mm dev tanks to be found. There is also the 50ft rubber hose method. There is certainly super 8 negative film to be found but you then have to have it 'printed' onto a project able positive or scanned and inverted. I have only shot reversal film in my super 8 rig, but that was back when Kodachrome processing was available. Good luck!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2002 on: October 11, 2015, 03:26:15 AM »
You can get positive or negative film in both color and black and white.  Color positive is getting quite expensive.  B&H and Dwayne's both sell film.  If you don't plan on running it through a projector shoot negative and have it scanned.  I usually send my film to Dwayne's for processing, they will also scan at a good price but it's not the best quality.  As for the bucket or hose developing methods I've heard mostly bad things about them. 

Dwayne's will also split the film for you.  I have a few splitters, the most common ones are the small Lomo ones that are available on EBay.  Lomo also made a developing tank but they are kind of expensive. 

Hopefully there's a take up reel in the camera.  If not they are plentiful on eBay or I could send you one, I have a box full.  Wind up the camera and listen to it run.  If it doesn't sound nice and smooth and constant it may not be worth using.  If you're really interested in shooting with it I can give you more tips.  It's not the best camera but if the lens looks good and it seems to be running good give it a shot. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2003 on: October 11, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Thank you Bryan! I will be hitting you up for advice privately :)

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #2004 on: October 13, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »
got some mint. ;)
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2005 on: October 14, 2015, 10:02:04 AM »
I really want one of those! But hard to justify as I already have a NeoClassic 90.

But then, who needs to justify? Just blame the GAS
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #2006 on: October 14, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »
Maybe due to the early units but, first initial impressions, I don't like the finishing of the metal pieces. They were a bit inconsistent. I think they were having issues with it as noted by the newsletters. Should have gone for all black paint maybe? The leatherette feels a bit odd,  but eh? On my unit the aperture knob has too much resistance and harder to turn than expected. Maybe a bigger control dial will be better? The finder is a bit dim more so than any TLR I've used. The magnifier is not intuitive to lift from the hood at least with my fingers. Most "modern" TLR you press the front of the hood somewhere to release, this is still required as it makes it easier to reach. The flash retract well enough, but flipping it back to the name plate took multiple tries. Focus knob seems to work well and the build of the finder seems good. Have not much time to use it only did one exposure indoors.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:49:28 PM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2007 on: October 19, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
I was given an unopened box of Kodak polycontrast 3 rc paper and an unopened box of Ilford Ilfospeed RC grade 1

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2008 on: October 20, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
Asahi - Pentax Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 lens, M42 mount.  Purchased through the APUG Classifieds.  Right now I'm shooting with it on my Zenit B.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2009 on: October 20, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
These lenses are good!
I have the 35mm version that I use reversed style for macro shots on my Nikon.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2010 on: October 20, 2015, 10:57:42 PM »
These lenses are good!
I have the 35mm version that I use reversed style for macro shots on my Nikon.

I did a little research on it, the quality is one reason I got it.  It also has an auto/manual switch so I don't have hack it to use it on the Zenit B.  I did hack a Vivitar Zoom lens but I can reverse that quite easily.  I ordered a PK adapter for it that they say will allow infinity focus but we'll see.  At least the adapter was cheap if it doesn't work.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2011 on: October 21, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »
If the adaptor ring sits within the lens mount (no external flange) then it will be fine.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2012 on: October 21, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »
"It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the fucking century!" In fact, fuck it Nick, I think I'll keep it!"

31 rolls of Neopan 1600 and got a Sprocket Rocket tossed in for free!  Me very happy man now  8)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #2013 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
Yay! it finally arrived!!

Looking forward to taking it up to the Lake District with me next week.

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2014 on: October 21, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
Oh, nice! So mine can't get far either. My best guess is that it's stuck in customs.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2015 on: October 21, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »
My suspicion too. They have held back absolutely everything lately.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2016 on: October 21, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
Wow! You guys are really on a roll for great stuff!
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2017 on: October 22, 2015, 12:17:21 AM »
Yay! it finally arrived!!

Looking forward to taking it up to the Lake District with me next week.

Looks like a beauty, Paul.  Can't wait to see what you produce using this baby.  Panoramic?  You have the same lens as I bought for my "Tutone". Whilst on that subject, I bought an MPP 6x9 120 film back for my Tutone and MPP Mk VIII.  I asked the retailer to hold onto it until we got back from holiday 10 days ago but, in the meantime, the shop lost it.  However, they've sent me a Cambo C2N 6x9 back in its stead - which is newer, in just about mint condition and it would have been a heap more expensive - but for no extra cost.  Really nice guys and very honourable of them, in the circumstances.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2018 on: October 22, 2015, 12:24:10 AM »
but, in the meantime, the shop lost it.

Lost it? How does this happen? Aren't the purpose of shops to keep things on shelves/in boxes/in a warehouse until someone buys it/picks it up/asks for it to be delivered? I suspect someone f'ed up and sold it whilst you were gone.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2019 on: October 22, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
but, in the meantime, the shop lost it.

Lost it? How does this happen? Aren't the purpose of shops to keep things on shelves/in boxes/in a warehouse until someone buys it/picks it up/asks for it to be delivered? I suspect someone f'ed up and sold it whilst you were gone.

Hi Satish.

You may be right.  I spotted the MPP back just before going on holiday earlier this month.  I rang the shop and paid for it (they are a couple of hundred miles from where I live).  However, I asked them to postpone sending me the item through the post until I got back from holiday.  The shop agreed.  I didn't want the item sitting in our local Post Office sorting office for 2 weeks as it might get lost - or sent back to the vendor if I didn't come and pick it up. 

When I got back from holiday, I rang the shop to ask them to send it and that's when they told me "......erm, we're not sure where we've put it".  To their enormous credit, they said they'd either find it and send it to me or send me another item (at no extra cost) they'd just received that was newer, in better condition and would have cost me many times the amount I paid for the MPP.  They never found the MPP, so I now have the Cambo which, unlike the MPP back, will fit behind the ground glass on my MPP camera and it also fits a treat in the Tutone I've just bought from Sandeha.

These things happen from time to time.  All's well that ends well.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2020 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
Went to the tracking info and found my Wanderlust TW was picked up 20 days ago and has been sitting in a processing centre since, going nowhere.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2021 on: October 22, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
For me it says "Shipment In Transit to Destination" which of course means I have no information at all about its whereabouts.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2022 on: October 22, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
So I'm not the only one who had a package lost by UPS in the past!
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2023 on: October 22, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Got one of these now. 4000 Dpi is so good. Don't know what I'm going to do with my V700 now.

Scanned this as a test last night from my neg from last years trip. This shot couldnt scan well at all with the V700 and all of the adjustments the scanner/software was trying to make. This time around it scanned like butter. First try.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:49:49 PM by SLVR »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2024 on: October 22, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
If you're just going to dump the V700, dump it at my house! :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2025 on: October 22, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
Maybe I'll do one of those smash my iphone videos for youtube ;)

Also image posted has no sharpening what so ever on it except for the sharpening flickr applies when scaled down.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2026 on: October 22, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »
Wow!  That's a nice one SLVR, can I just send my negatives to you?  ;D 

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2027 on: October 22, 2015, 07:11:30 PM »
If id start scanning other peoples work I'd have to quit my day job! the scanner isn't what most would call "fast" haha

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2028 on: October 22, 2015, 07:28:57 PM »
Wow! That does look great! I have a love-hate relationship with my V500, mostly hate I guess  :P

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2029 on: October 22, 2015, 09:08:12 PM »
Those scanners are NICE!
And with the autofocus feature, everything is so sharp... even the grain is crisp.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2030 on: October 22, 2015, 09:50:34 PM »
oh yeah  8). Im actually finding as well that some portra 400 shots that were noisy have much less noise and more grain. They look much cleaner.

macfred

« Reply #2031 on: October 22, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
^ Wonderful machine !! Would it run with a recent Mac OSX ?

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #2032 on: October 22, 2015, 11:39:05 PM »
I have joined the dark side. Fuji Instax Wide 300. I remember having some sort of  Polaroid instant film camera in the late 70's,  but I could not afford the film. :D

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2033 on: October 23, 2015, 01:57:38 AM »
macfred, Ive got it running on Windows 10 via bootcamp with some modified drivers. Im running the NikonScan 4 software

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2034 on: October 23, 2015, 07:47:44 AM »
Holy Moly SLVR, that´s amazing!

My V700 have had me question the purpose of life, 135 film and why on earth I still shoot (small format) film.
I shall keep my eyes open, every now and then they sell at reasonable prices around here.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

macfred

« Reply #2035 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
macfred, Ive got it running on Windows 10 via bootcamp with some modified drivers. Im running the NikonScan 4 software

Thank you, SLVR !
---
I did some search last night ...; seems like one needs the VueScan software (hamrick.com) to make those Coolscans running with OS X 10 (or 11).

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2036 on: October 23, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »
No prob. Scrapvision was telling me that the nikonscan software will give better color than Vuescan. Whether thats true or not Im not sure.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2037 on: October 23, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »
Many years ago I wanted one of those Nikon scanners, but I couldn't stand the pain in my wallet. I just checked evilbay and still they sell for more than I gave for a brand new Epson V750. I read an old review which said that it was painfully slow on previews, is that still the case?
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2038 on: October 23, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
Preview is the same as my V700. Scanning takes maybe double the time when you use superfine. (35mm) MF is LONG, especially with ICE.

I think there may be exact times somewhere online but I can do some video if people are interested.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2039 on: October 23, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »
From ebay, purchase of a Olympus XA  and also a reasonably priced (£67) Gossen Spotmeter in a box with instructions and grey cards

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2040 on: October 23, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Due to my not-very-practical camera acquisition style( I buy with my heart and not my head) I have a few SLRs but not a proper SLR kit. I have a Canon AE1 with a 50mm, A Leica R-E with a 50mm, a Pentax K1000 and  a Spotmatic, both with 50mms. You get the picture. So when I was cleaning out my photo gear closet, I came across a Konica Autoreflex T3 that I had picked up for my son. He used it once and then it sat, forgotten about, for a few years. I didn't know anything about the camera, other than to point the lensy end toward the subject, so I read up on it and found out that the Hexagon lenses are pretty good and generally available inexpensively. In a very short time frame I picked up the following:

The original T3 body that I had bought for my son, which turned out to have light leaks. I've since replaced the seals DIY and hopefully stopped  the leaks.

A second body, because it was under 30 dollars and why not?

A Tokina 28mm 2.8
A Sigma 28mm 2.8 mini-wide macro
A Vivitar 28mm 2.5

OK, ok I know that's a lot of 28s, but they were dirt cheap and now I get to play with them and see which I like best. Also none of them is a Hexagon and someday I will get my hands on one too. Maybe.

A Konica Hexanon 40mm 1.8
A Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.4 (I originally ordered a 1.8 from KEH but it arrive broken so they replaced it with the 1.4. Excellent customer service).
A Konica Hexanon 135mm 3.5

A Konica Hexanon 80-200mm 3.5
A Vivitar 75-205 3.8

Again, very close lenses and why bother with the Vivitar? Again, dirt cheap, so why not?

Total cost was around $200 for all of it.

I'd like to get the Hexagon 85mm, but they must be desirable as they go for more than I paid for all of this.

KonicaAutoreflexKit by adoephoto, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:30:02 AM by Adam Doe »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2041 on: October 23, 2015, 09:50:10 PM »
I have a silver autoreflex T3 and must say it is well made.
I find there are only two slightly annoying problems with them.
On mine, the oil has thickened up on the frame counter that doesn't always reset when I open the door... I have to one day get the tools out and oil the darn mechanism... but that means disassembling everything on top...
The other issue I found is that the meter is definitely designed for mercury cells. I tried using the Wein Cells in it but the meter was way off, something it didn't do with mercury cells. Also, the battery compartment is build to the exact thickness of the mercury cells and needs to have a bit in its center grinded-off with the dremel in order to take the Wein cell...
I guess that if I ever decide to work on mine I will need to build in it a type of adapter for silver cells and recalibrate the meter for it.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2042 on: October 23, 2015, 10:03:12 PM »
I believe there are adapters for most mercury cells. The Small Battery Company in London has a nice selection. I tried Wein cells for my Nikkormat, but they died within 6 months. Now I'm using an adapter and the standard cells last a lot longer.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

macfred

« Reply #2043 on: October 23, 2015, 10:18:55 PM »
^^ The matte chrome T3 is a beauty !
--
A few years ago I had a Revue Auto-Reflex SP (Konica AutoReflex P or Autorex-P in Japan) from the mid 60's  - I sold it foolishly ...  :'(
It was fully mechanical - no batteries required. Unique feature :  The frame size could be changed between 24×36  and 18×24 in mid-roll.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2044 on: October 23, 2015, 10:59:14 PM »
Well, that is unique for sure!
I still have my Tamron Adaptall2 mount for mine.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2045 on: October 24, 2015, 07:15:16 PM »
I already have one, but when I saw this nice clean little BHF and noticed that it came with the #13 closeup lens, I couldn't resist. The fact that it was $8.95 including shipping made it a no-brainer. I just happened to have the #13 cloud filter that was in the box with my Speed Graphic. Now I have the whole set, and the flash unit works to boot! If you have never shot one of these gems, pick one up. They are really fun.

1955 Brownie Hawkeye Flash with #13 close-up and #13 cloud filters. by James Harr, on Flickr
Flickr
Blogger

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2046 on: October 24, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »
They are really fun! I used 120 film successfully in mine (with a 620 take up spool) a while back. But when I tried it with HP5+ recently it wasn't possible to advance the film at all. :/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2047 on: October 25, 2015, 12:48:09 AM »
I've got a couple 620 spools I'm gonna toss to the garbage. You want em?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2048 on: October 25, 2015, 01:13:09 AM »
Sure. Unless that was directed at Urban. Then no. :)
Flickr
Blogger

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2049 on: October 25, 2015, 07:15:32 AM »

I already have 7 620 spools, so no that you! So you should either send them to jharr or sell them for silly money on eBay. :D