Author Topic: How to slightly damage an otherwise good film.  (Read 3918 times)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
How to slightly damage an otherwise good film.
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
How to slightly damage an otherwise good film.

Firstly, let me make it perfectly clear that I am not an idiot, this, however, does not preclude me from occasionally doing things that can reasonably be regarded as idiotic. I have, on many occasions, had to retrieve a film leader from a canister and, on every occasion have not really had a problem, the tool works very well.

Yesterday I had what I believe is now commonly referred to as a brain fart and, having inserted the film retriever into the canister, I merrily wound the film clockwise, not once, not twice, but repeatedly until I heard a crunch that I really shouldn’t have heard.

At no point did it occur to me that I was doing anything wrong and I later apologised to my film retriever for ever doubting it. Such was the ferocity of my brain fart that I had to go and watch a youtube video before realising that I should be winding the film counter clockwise. Ten seconds later I had retrieved the film, but, as I was to discover upon developing it, not without cost, to the film itself of course, but also to my self-imposed status as a not-idiot. The evidence is beginning to stack up against me and I may have to re-assess.

Here are some of the pictures, please enjoy the faded lines, it took a lot of effort to get them there.

These were taken in Birmingham with the Leica Z2X and 24 frames of Ilford HP5 (although I had thought I’d loaded a 36 – Shut up, I know what you’re thinking!).

More at link in sig.

verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: How to slightly damage an otherwise good film.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »
I never rewind them fully so i dont have to use a retrieval tool

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »
With some of my cameras you have no choice :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

verianthomas.com

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
Shut up, I know what you’re thinking!).
I didn't say anything, but I agree with some of your statements :-D

Btw, I gave up using cameras that don't leave the film leader outside. I wasted (in the wrong sense) a lot of films and time and some money with all these dumb p+s cams. Not a Mju II, a Yashica T4/T5 or a Mini-Leica I-II-III could tempt me anymore.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
When I was developing my own, I had mixed results with the proprietary branded film leader retrieval tool.  Sometimes it was just infuriating. A changing bag and a flip-top bottle opener to prise the top off the film canister is the low-tech option, of course, but I've never known it fail.  Very frustrating.  I feel for your loss........
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

mark, fourstarfilm.com

• 35mm
    • fourstarfilm.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
Retriever tools are a pain in the donkey, but I often had good luck just asking in any photo lab or supermarket with a dev station for them to extract the leader for me. I don't know what the device is but it does it in about a second and they never mind.
Mark,

35mm, 110, APS and 127.

fourstarfilm.com

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
Shut up, I know what you’re thinking!).
I didn't say anything, but I agree with some of your statements :-D

:O

I'm normally fine with it, on this day though, my brain had turned to mush!
verianthomas.com

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »
When I was developing my own, I had mixed results with the proprietary branded film leader retrieval tool.  Sometimes it was just infuriating. A changing bag and a flip-top bottle opener to prise the top off the film canister is the low-tech option, of course, but I've never known it fail.  Very frustrating.  I feel for your loss........

About the first ten films were an absolute nightmare because I didn't know you had to listen for a click (this was because it typically manly fashion I persevered without actually reading any instructions!), after that it has been mostly plain sailing.
verianthomas.com

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »
Retriever tools are a pain in the donkey, but I often had good luck just asking in any photo lab or supermarket with a dev station for them to extract the leader for me. I don't know what the device is but it does it in about a second and they never mind.

Good idea, but that's a 20 mile round trip for me. I'll just have to remember to set my idiot switch to 'OFF' before I start!
verianthomas.com

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:14:13 PM »
I used to have an EOS 5 which could be set to leave the leader out or wind it in

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
I don't reuse canisters so I opt to just ripping them open. I used to try to pop the tops off to save the canister but don't really care about that anymore.

Most of the time I bulk load now with my own reusable canisters so no need to force them open anymore.