Author Topic: Route 66  (Read 2542 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Route 66
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »
This one is, by necessity, going to run for a while. I shot 10 rolls of XP2 and 10 rolls of Provia 100f on the journey across USA from Chicago to Santa Monica - mostly down "Route 66".

For those who aren't familiar with Route 66, it used to stretch 2,448 miles from Jackson in Chicago to Santa Monica Boulevard in Santa Monica in California. It never ended at or on Santa Monica Pier - despite signs to the contrary.  Down the years, the road (also known as The Mother Road and Will Rogers' Highway) underwent many re-routings and replacements as a result of the introduction of city bypasses and the creation of interstates - to the point where Route 66 no longer exists, as such.

Our trip wasn't so much an hommage to Route 66 as (a) we have no affinity with it and (b) it was a holiday intended to show us as much about the USA, its people, its culture and its geography. I would have loved to have spent hours with a tripod and my Hasselblad - but I know we wouldn't have made the journey in the time available. Therefore, the B&W shots were taken using my Nikon F3HP and my Nikon FE was used for the colour shots. I took 4 lenses (all manual focus Ai and Ai-S Nikkors) - 20mm/f2.8, 35mm/f2, 50mm/f1.2 and 85mm/f2.

What I'm going to post on here is, therefore, a series of snaps; a travelogue. It's not intended as some artistic statement about our journey. We had just two weeks to get from one end to the other and, by definition, most of the time was spent driving, eating and sleeping. That said, I do hope to have captured some of the flavour of what we saw.

Apologies for some of the crappy scans in this first set. These were done by the processing lab. I just wanted to get this kicked off. I will be re-scanning the negs to try to bring about a consistent look as I intend to produce a photo book to go on our bookshelf. Eventually....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Route 66
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:20:34 PM »
I very interested to see these. Doing a cross-country drive, including at least part of Route 66, is one of the things I'd very much like to do.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »
I very interested to see these. Doing a cross-country drive, including at least part of Route 66, is one of the things I'd very much like to do.

Well, we followed R66 pretty closely and still only got to see a fraction of what's out there.

It would take months to make the most of this old track. The best advice I can give anyone - and it's all been said before - is that it's about the journey not the destination. What made this trip special for us was the people we met, the things we did and the places we saw. If we lived closer and could afford the time or money to visit more regularly, we'd do the trip in stages. However, our whistle-stop tour whetted our appetite to re-visit and even to do road trips in other countries.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »
Paul, good to see you making an early start on this project. I look forward to seeing this one grow and grow.

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
Love going to parts of R66, the part at Laguna Pueblo is arguably the closest to the middle of nowhere off of I40.

I second a trip from LA to Chicago with my RB67 and a few rolls of Ektar and Delta 100.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
Paul, good to see you making an early start on this project. I look forward to seeing this one grow and grow.

+1

looking forward to this thread also !

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »
Well, I've got 20 rolls of film processed, I'm just struggling to find the time to scan them and post them. (Working for an insurance company at the point where the whole of the UK looks like it's about to sink without trace is a real drain on time).  Hopefully, I'll get a batch done this weekend.  Thanks for bearing with me.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Finally got round to doing some scanning. These 5 were all taken in / around Los Angeles......

More to follow soon, hopefully.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
another nice group Paul.

Love the colour and graphic imagery in the first one posted.

that would be the Provia right?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »
....that would definitely be the Provia 100f.